• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck sez: he's a victim of Hurricane Sandy!

155 posts in this topic

When you buy a comic for $5.00 and offer it for sale for $300.00, you can afford to give a 65 percent discount for Chuck's, I mean A worthy cause! Have any of you ever looked at his "Buy" prices on his website? "Spooning" laughable!!

When you buy a comic for $5.00 and offer it for sale for $300.00, you can afford to give a 65 percent discount for Chuck's, I mean A worthy cause! Have any of you ever looked at his "Buy" prices on his website? "Spooning" laughable!!

Oh yeah we all know about good ole Chuckles. :eyeroll:

I met Chuck a couple of years back for the first time. My impression is that he says exactly what is on his mind. He said some things I wouldn't say to a stranger and I've been told by others that my internal filter is almost non-existent.

I believe Chuck if he says that his orders dropped from that region almost entirely. I also know that there is a lot of money in that region of the country. Financially, I can see how a larger retailer might actually feel a significant cash flow impact. I think the sale is being extended to keep his cash flow to a normal level. If what he says is true, it might not even do that.

I take what he says at face value. I also believe the % discounts are just something he does so he doesn't have to individually reprice every item. That would be a logistical nightmare unless someone customized a -script to do it across the whole site.

DG

I met Chuck a couple of years back for the first time. My impression is that he says exactly what is on his mind. He said some things I wouldn't say to a stranger and I've been told by others that my internal filter is almost non-existent.

I believe Chuck if he says that his orders dropped from that region almost entirely. I also know that there is a lot of money in that region of the country. Financially, I can see how a larger retailer might actually feel a significant cash flow impact. I think the sale is being extended to keep his cash flow to a normal level. If what he says is true, it might not even do that.

I take what he says at face value. I also believe the % discounts are just something he does so he doesn't have to individually reprice every item. That would be a logistical nightmare unless someone customized a -script to do it across the whole site.

DG

He has a -script. He raises the price on the entire website by 20% just before he starts a 10% off codeword sale.

Chuck's goal has been to be a one-stop shopping site. He wants to have the comics you are looking for in stock when you go to his web site. His goal has added costs for himself and the consumer. Can you get a better deal on comics? Sure. Will you have to look for years to individually find the specific comics you want if his store doesn't have it? In many cases, yes. There are countless comics that his store has in stock that I'd NEVER be able to find locally. I'd probably have a hard time finding a lot of them on eBay also. I haven't bought anything from him in over 17 years. Regardless, he does have things I've never seen anyone else offer.

DG

Chuck's goal has been to be a one-stop shopping site. He wants to have the comics you are looking for in stock when you go to his web site. His goal has added costs for himself and the consumer. Can you get a better deal on comics? Sure. Will you have to look for years to individually find the specific comics you want if his store doesn't have it? In many cases, yes. There are countless comics that his store has in stock that I'd NEVER be able to find locally. I'd probably have a hard time finding a lot of them on eBay also. I haven't bought anything from him in over 17 years. Regardless, he does have things I've never seen anyone else offer.

DG

:gossip:All of that has nothing to do with trying to profit from a horrible tragedy.

DG

He has a -script. He raises the price on the entire website by 20% just before he starts a 10% off codeword sale.

He may have scripts, but scripts can have bugs that give undesirable results. My biggest gripe with MHC is that they list comics they don't have. Once they realize they don't have what they've listed, they don't fix the database. They'll let 5 more people try to order that same comic they found out they didn't have on the first order.

DG

DG

:gossip:All of that has nothing to due with trying to profit from a horrible tragedy.

All he's trying to do is convert inventory to cash to pay his bills.

If you were paying your house note and then had your income cut in half, you'd consider selling off your possessions to get your cash flow back to normal also.

With most people, it doesn't matter how much they make, they find a way to spend it. The more you are used to making it, the harder it is to go back to making less.

Right now he's willing to sacrifice inventory to get his income back to where it was.

DG

DG

:gossip:All of that has nothing to due with trying to profit from a horrible tragedy.

If you were paying your house note and then had your income cut in half, you'd consider selling off your possessions to get your cash flow back to normal also.

With most people, it doesn't matter how much they make, they find a way to spend it. The more you are used to making it, the harder it is to go back to making less.

Right now he's willing to sacrifice inventory to get his income back to where it was.

DG

Hope you've got gatorade, granola bars and oxygen.

It's gonna be a steep uphill climb defending Chuck on this one. :gossip:

DG

DG

Are you Chuck infiltraiting our boards? :boo:

I don't normally weigh in on things like this but just wow, DISGUSTING! How transparent can you be?
And I usually run contrary to common opinion around here. But not in this case. What a POS Chuck is. :sumo:

I don't normally weigh in on things like this but just wow, DISGUSTING! How transparent can you be?
And I usually run contrary to common opinion around here. But not in this case. What a POS Chuck is. :sumo:

I agree the Ducks are great! :gossip:

They are playing well this year (thumbs u USC on Saturday will be a real test for them. But considering they walked on Arizona - they beat USC recently - I think the Ducks are going to come out on top.

They are playing well this year (thumbs u USC on Saturday will be a real test for them. But considering they walked on Arizona - they beat USC recently - I think the Ducks are going to come out on top.

My fondest duck memories are when they were a skidmark on the underpants of Division 1 sports. Roughly when I was in college, 1980s ish.

We've gone to some games in the recent years, and it is obviously all about the $ now.

DG

Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't have any problem with him converting inventory to cash to pay bills. If he had simply sent out an e-mail saying that he was extending his "sale" for another week or two because extenuating circumstances warranted it (and without mentioning the the storm or its impact), then this thread wouldn't likely exist.

What I do have an issue with, however, is his portraying himself as or making any implication in any way that he's a "victim" of Hurricane Sandy -- and if you look at what he said in his e-mail

Giving away our most desirable back issue treasures at 65% off is quite a bitter pill for us to swallow, but we have to be pragmatic during this crisis, and offer those of you who live in areas unaffected by the storm exceptional incentive to place an order with us while much of the East Coast is still without power. Any assistance that you might be able to provide would be most appreciated...

then that seems to be a pretty fair assessment of what he's doing. Asking for "assistance" when there's untold numbers of people on the East Coast who are in real need of it is simply ... well ... :facepalm:

This strikes a bit of a nerve with me as I live in an area of Louisiana that took some of the worst effects of Issac a short time ago. My in-laws are living with us while their house is repaired from the damage caused by several feet of floodwater. I have other friends and family who lost a lot during both Issac and during Katrina as well. My best friend lives in New Jersey, and while he made it through Sandy relatively unscathed, he has family who weren't as lucky. Those are the people who are being negatively impacted by those hurricanes -- not a snake-oil salesman who didn't see a drop of rain or a gust of wind touch anything he owns.

Not only crass, but totally unbelievable as well. We can be certain that even with the discounts MHC is still selling books at a decent profit.

The unbelievable part is the purported impact on MHC's business. There are an estimated 125 million homes and 30 million businesses in America. At it's peak hurricane Sandy knocked power out to 8.5 million homes and businesses. That number is now around 5 million.

So at it's peak, 5% of MHC potential USA customer base was affected. Right now it's at 3%. Since we can be reasonably certain MHC has customers from other countries, the 5% figure is absolute tops, Even if there were some really good customers affected.

It's hard to imagine many businesses being in dire financial straits from a loss of 5% of their business for one week. Let us keep in mind that MHC was already selling at the 35% discount before the storm. All they have done is to extend that sale for a period of time.

The extension of the 35% off sale has nothing to do with the disaster. Chuck just thought the disaster might make nice cover.

DG

DG

Navel

Gazing

In

The

Face

of

Tragedy.

His sales are down this week?

Hoboken is destroyed, 100 people in Queens had their homes burnt to the ground, dozens are dead.

You'll excuse me if I don't cut someone a break for trying to make a buck by attempting to invoke sympathy off of a tragedy where people died or lost everything they have.