• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns that are losing steam on Ebay

412 posts in this topic

I could never get past the art in Chew to give it a read.

well considering chew won awards for its art, its more than likely that chew art is too sophisticated for your pupils.

Mine too. I don't like the art either.

Seems like a good number of people have been doubting Chew from the very beginning. At first it was how the book couldn't maintain its hot value right out of the gate and apparently it's a sinking ship now.

I don't think everyone realizes how dedicated of a fan base the series has, how good the writing and art is month in and month out, and that the best is still ahead in terms of hype (starting with the big mid-point issue) and speculation (TV show developments down the line). Unless news comes out that the TV show will not be made, the quality of the series and its dedicated fans will keep the value high.

Just my two cents, but I'll be happy to be wrong so I can afford to get a #1 in 9.8 :grin:

The first paragraph has always summed up my view of the title. Branget and I go back and forth of the book constantly over the years. I am happy the writer has done well financially with the book, but I never thought it was anything special.

;whatthe: The NY Times' best seller list is rigged??

Your opinion, new york times thought it was pretty good so they slap it on the best seller list

Some people are saying Chews ship is sinking

No one has told the sellers on Ebay yet though :gossip: I was checking yesterday and there are some crazy prices out there with no one buying.

That's not just exclusive to Chew.

I am not sure if this past week, and also the upcoming week or so is going to be a good gauge for any market - With millions losing power, and their homes, it has to have some effect.

That's a great point, Sandy has got to have some effect on buying trends

For sure as I held back on putting up some auctions for that reason.

Will be resuming tonight so most people have power now.

Some people are saying Chews ship is sinking

No one has told the sellers on Ebay yet though :gossip: I was checking yesterday and there are some crazy prices out there with no one buying.

That's not just exclusive to Chew.

Exactly.

The completed listings aren't too shabby. A 9.8 went for $650 on November 1st and on November 2nd a 9.8 (with 2-5 raw included) went for $950 best offer.

GPA shows steady prices at the moment too. That might change soon but it doesn't seem to be "tanking" just yet

Chew is awesome. The art is fantastic. It's cartoony, which is kind of what comics are all about.

Haters be hating. Stick to your Avengers, X-Men and JLA mung with purty art.

Savage Dragon and Godland are my current favorites and I like some cartoony artists (Evan Dorkin, Ben Edlund, Sam Keith, etc) just not the Chew guy.

How did this turn into everyone that has a bunch of Chew defending the Chew thread?

I am of the opinion that the artwork limits its appeal and since this thread is about things trending downward on eBay I thought it was helpful to share.

If you love Chew I'm super happy for you and hope you did not overpay and pick up the issues you need at lower prices if the trend is real.

Chew is awesome. The art is fantastic. It's cartoony, which is kind of what comics are all about.

Savage Dragon and Godland are my current favorites and I like some cartoony artists (Evan Dorkin, Ben Edlund, Sam Keith, etc) just not the Chew guy.

How did this turn into everyone that has a bunch of Chew defending the Chew thread?

I am of the opinion that the artwork limits its appeal and since this thread is about things trending downward on eBay I thought it was helpful to share.

If you love Chew I'm super happy for you and hope you did not overpay and pick up the issues you need at lower prices if the trend is real.

I don't own any Chew books - Never have and it never appealed to me much. I just stated facts from recent sales and GPA. This book doesn't seem to be trending down.... Whether it will in the future, Im not sure.

I don't own any Chew books - Never have and it never appealed to me much. I just stated facts from recent sales and GPA. This book doesn't seem to be trending down.... Whether it will in the future, Im not sure.

THIS. I don't think people are defending Chew just because they are simply speculating or invested. I believe it's slightly bothersome when those who do not not understand the comic book's appeal perpetuate a false perception that the comic book is trending downwards when there just isn't strong evidence of it at all. A simple glance at recent eBay completed listings clearly shows the first dozen issues sell incredibly well on the secondary market and the monthly sales numbers prove there is a consistent and solid fan base.

THIS. I don't think people are defending Chew just because they are simply speculating or invested. I believe it's slightly bothersome when those who do not not understand the comic book's appeal perpetuate a false perception that the comic book is trending downwards when there just isn't strong evidence of it at all. A simple glance at recent eBay completed listings clearly shows the first dozen issues sell incredibly well on the secondary market and the monthly sales numbers prove there is a consistent and solid fan base.

+ 111111111111111111111111111111111111111