• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns that are losing steam on Ebay

412 posts in this topic

Some people are saying Chews ship is sinking

No one has told the sellers on Ebay yet though :gossip: I was checking yesterday and there are some crazy prices out there with no one buying.

Having been a comic collector for about 30 years, that is the nature of things. Prices rise, but rarely do they come down, even when the fad or rather, zeitgeist, has disappeared for the comic or title. Sure, there will be some falling in prices for the high outliers, but in general, the prices will stick.

Some people are saying Chews ship is sinking

No one has told the sellers on Ebay yet though :gossip: I was checking yesterday and there are some crazy prices out there with no one buying.

Having been a comic collector for about 30 years, that is the nature of things. Prices rise, but rarely do they come down, even when the fad or rather, zeitgeist, has disappeared for the comic or title. Sure, there will be some falling in prices for the high outliers, but in general, the prices will stick.

Yup... anything that gains lofty heights will see less and less buyers. Simply put we don't all have the income to match putting together a run of the pricier books. Also speculators will eventually be put off at a tipping point where it will take much longer for them to see any come back on their investment compared to other titles / keys.

It doesn't mean that prices will fall through the floor, but they will simply level out to meet demand which is a good thing. If more people that can pick up early issues of a book at a fair price then the rest of the run gets a small boost in sales as well.

I imagine a lot of potential collectors are simply put off starting a Chew or TWD run simply because of the early issues.

Hogwash.

Rare: (of an event, situation, or condition) Not occurring very often.

As in, I go to eBay to find a high grade WD #1, but not very often do I find one.

No one can say that. There is ALWAYS a high grade WD #1 on eBay.

When something is always available, it is not rare.

Comparing it to something else doesn't make it so.

Essentially, you are saying something along the lines of, "There are more grains of sand on the beach, than people on the earth, so... People are RARE!"

See how silly that is?

Nonsense.

Even with the definition you posted, it is the "not very often" which is completely subjective.

You have chosen availability on ebay, currently, to define rarity.

The 1939 Flash Ashcan, whenever I search ebay there is always at least 1 available. Therefore its common... (only one exists).

As for the people, sand comparison. Of course its silly (like the ashcan thing i just posted), that's the point. People ARE rare compared to grains of sand, but is it a meaningful thing to say?

On the modern forum, someone called WD #1 rare. Do I agree? not really, but within the context of where he posted it, its valid. Personally, I dont think anything newer than silver age is rare, and even silver age is debatable. But that's my OPINION, and my chosen frame of reference.

The main point I was trying to make, is that there is no objective (quantitative) measure for the word RARE. So, it always leads to arguments (as we can see here).

Agreed.

Obviously, "relative scarcity" is what we are really talking about here. WD 1 is scarce relative to other modern age books as the vast majority of collectible modern comics have a much higher print run. It is also very scarce relative to the print run of current issues of WD, which is a good indicator of the current monthly floppy readership (and excluding those who follow the series in TPB format).

Well, I am unsure why anyone seems to be somewhat surprised in a price drop in either Chew #1 or WD #1. Print runs maybe small but there are a large number of high grade copies available. Also, factor in the holidays rapidly approaching, as well as weather conditions in various regions. I know both of these items have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I agreed with both points. They are both great books and years down the road be recognized as uber modern age keys, but there are only so many people willing to pay $X for either of the books. For the cost of both in CGC 9.8, you can buy a nice SA or BA key for the money, so I think that some collectors, myself included, would rather buy either SA or BA keys instead of these. I say this, as I sold my WD run before the show hit to buy a BA grail for myself.

I understand the appeal of SA/BA keys, but these books often exist in far greater numbers than some key modern books due to the much higher print runs of the time. There are over 1300 graded copies of Hulk 181 that are 9.0 or better...and a whopping 5450 graded copies on the census. That's more than the entire print run of Chew #1, and 5x the CGC population of WD 1.

I am not comparing these books in terms of demand, only in the sense that they are the top books of their respective "ages", and therefore both likely to be subbed more often than just about any other book of their era.

Well, I am unsure why anyone seems to be somewhat surprised in a price drop in either Chew #1 or WD #1. Print runs maybe small but there are a large number of high grade copies available. Also, factor in the holidays rapidly approaching, as well as weather conditions in various regions. I know both of these items have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I agreed with both points. They are both great books and years down the road be recognized as uber modern age keys, but there are only so many people willing to pay $X for either of the books. For the cost of both in CGC 9.8, you can buy a nice SA or BA key for the money, so I think that some collectors, myself included, would rather buy either SA or BA keys instead of these. I say this, as I sold my WD run before the show hit to buy a BA grail for myself.

I agree with part of what you said. I'm a collector and instead of dropping a grand on a WD #1 I'd rather buy a Silver / Bronze age key (Hulk 181, Silver Surfer 1, Iron Man 1, etc). That is, if I had a grand to commit to one book, of which I don't.

Ryan

I understand the appeal of SA/BA keys, but these books often exist in far greater numbers than some key modern books due to the much higher print runs of the time. There are over 1300 graded copies of Hulk 181 that are 9.0 or better...and a whopping 5450 graded copies on the census. That's more than the entire print run of Chew #1, and 5x the CGC population of WD 1.

I am not comparing these books in terms of demand, only in the sense that they are the top books of their respective "ages", and therefore both likely to be subbed more often than just about any other book of their era.

Good comments (the wisdom is showing)! (thumbs u

I was hoping to read about books declining in popularity/market share but instead stumbled in a hidden WD thread followed by a Silver Age vs Modern Age debate. Someone needs to re-title the subject line to say 'More of the same from General but now in the Modern category". :makepoint:

Hogwash.

As in, I go to eBay to find a high grade WD #1, but not very often do I find one.

Essentially, you are saying something along the lines of, "There are more grains of sand on the beach, than people on the earth, so... People are RARE!"

See how silly that is?

Nonsense.

Even with the definition you posted, it is the "not very often" which is completely subjective.

The 1939 Flash Ashcan, whenever I search ebay there is always at least 1 available. Therefore its common... (only one exists).

As for the people, sand comparison. Of course its silly (like the ashcan thing i just posted), that's the point. People ARE rare compared to grains of sand, but is it a meaningful thing to say?

On the modern forum, someone called WD #1 rare. Do I agree? not really, but within the context of where he posted it, its valid. Personally, I dont think anything newer than silver age is rare, and even silver age is debatable. But that's my OPINION, and my chosen frame of reference.

The main point I was trying to make, is that there is no objective (quantitative) measure for the word RARE. So, it always leads to arguments (as we can see here).

It's only arguing when you reply to somebody's "hogwash" with "nonsense". :preach:

Hogwash.

See how silly that is?

Nonsense.

It's only arguing when you reply to somebody's "hogwash" with "nonsense". :preach:

Poppycock!

Hogwash.

See how silly that is?

Nonsense.

Poppycock!

Better than poopycock.

Hogwash.

See how silly that is?

Nonsense.

One of something is rare.

10-15 of something at any given time is NOT rare.

For a comic book, Walking Dead #1 is NOT rare.

You can twist the words around all you want, but if you ask 99.9% of people who deal with comics on a daily basis they'll tell you, it is NOT rare.

'Not very often' may be subjective, but WD #1 fails the test of it because it is ALWAYS available. Every week more copies are being submitted. Every week more copies are up for sale. It's ALWAYS available.

There is never a time you can say, WD #1 is not very often up for sale. Ever. Regardless of how you look at it, it fails the test of being rare.

Even comparing it to Batman #1 New 52, you could say it's 'not as plentiful', but you can't say it's rare because there are always copies available.

The main point I was trying to make, is that there is no objective (quantitative) measure for the word RARE.

Sure there is. Let's take the smallest 'Not very often' we can: Every other MINUTE.

Every other MINUTE I can't seem to find a WD #1 to buy. FALSE.

A handful or more are ALWAYS available.

The 1939 Flash Ashcan?

Not currently on eBay.

i'd say WD#1 is also "rare" when compared to silver age "keys" as far as quantity goes, not popularity.

i'm not sure i'm following, there are 1000 slabbed copies of TWD #1 in 9.4 or better, which silver age keys have anything even remotely approaching that number? off the top of my head, the most common silver age key in HG is FF #48, there are 200 slabbed at 9.4 or higher

Silver age keys are scarcer in high grade. TWD1 is most likely scarcer in total number of copies extant.

TWD1 is scarcer than any SA key in low grade :whee: