• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

**Emerald City Comic Con --March 1-3**

287 posts in this topic

ECCC website

Looks like a solid guest list and I am thinking of making the long trip from NJ.

Who else is going? :popcorn:

I'm taking the trip from Philadelphia myself.

Psht...amateurs. I am flying out today from ND to drop my kids off with the grandparents in VA then flying from VA to WA for the con. Then back to VA to get the kids to go back to ND. Long trip my foot.... lollol

Oh yeah well I'm walking all the way upstairs. Then driving 12 whole miles to the airport. Then flying from to ND to MN for some reason before getting to WA. Then when its done I have to do it all over again in reverse.

I cannot wait to get to this show so I can wash the bad taste of WW Portland out of my mouth.. :sick:

What was wrong with WW Portland? I was thinking of going to it but sounds like I should be glad that I didn't. Lookin' forward to ECCC though. I'll be there all three days. I live just outside of Seattle so it is nice to finally have a legit big deal con in our town.

I cannot wait to get to this show so I can wash the bad taste of WW Portland out of my mouth.. :sick:

What was wrong with WW Portland? I was thinking of going to it but sounds like I should be glad that I didn't. Lookin' forward to ECCC though. I'll be there all three days. I live just outside of Seattle so it is nice to finally have a legit big deal con in our town.

I think I person_without_enough_empathyed enough about it in the other thread, but...

- $45 admission for one day

- Not a lot of comic vendors

- Had a disjointed and cheap feel to it

- The WD variant you were supposed to get with paid admission has to be mailed to me

- A very small show that only took less than two hours to see everything

For WW being one of the biggest and most frequent cons in the United States, I was pretty unimpressed with it. I'm not sure if this show was scaled down because it was WW's first time there, but the Rose City Con was way better. ECCC blows WW to hell. I love Seattle and the show has a great feel to it.

I think the old Portland Comic Show is DOA now and I had been predicting its demise for some time. The guy running that show refused to simply evolve - he wouldn't use any other venue except for the Rose Quarter and this has caused events to be canceled.

Anyhow, please let this week fly by so I can wake up and find myself in Seattle :cloud9:

I think I person_without_enough_empathyed enough about it in the other thread, but...

- The WD variant you were supposed to get with paid admission has to be mailed to me

For WW being one of the biggest and most frequent cons in the United States, I was pretty unimpressed with it. I'm not sure if this show was scaled down because it was WW's first time there, but the Rose City Con was way better. ECCC blows WW to hell. I love Seattle and the show has a great feel to it.

I think the old Portland Comic Show is DOA now and I had been predicting its demise for some time. The guy running that show refused to simply evolve - he wouldn't use any other venue except for the Rose Quarter and this has caused events to be canceled.

Anyhow, please let this week fly by so I can wake up and find myself in Seattle :cloud9:

I agree completely!

Totally agree, the old pdx con was just a swap meet. Portland isn't a big enough city to be like ECC, so my expectations were very low, given that, I had a good time. I knew it would never hold a candle to ECC and I'm fine with that. Maybe next year it will be bigger. Heck I remember when ECC first started, it wasn't a barn-burner like it is now.

Jerome

Totally agree, the old pdx con was just a swap meet. Portland isn't a big enough city to be like ECC, so my expectations were very low, given that, I had a good time. I knew it would never hold a candle to ECC and I'm fine with that. Maybe next year it will be bigger. Heck I remember when ECC first started, it wasn't a barn-burner like it is now.

Jerome

Exactly. When ECCC first started it was just a small con in one of the side rooms of one of the big arenas here. Nothing more than a concrete floors with small to medium size dealers selling their books. It has grown steadily over the years. Ya' gotta' start somewhere!

This freaking sucks. ECCC is a few days away and my body decides to invite a nice cold virus in. I have the week off, so hopefully feel better by the time Friday rolls around.

You know, if you are too sick to attend I would be more than happy to relive you of a certain ahem VIP ticket... lol. Seriously though, get well soon and have a great con.

I worked WW all three days. Had a great time and our booth was busy most of the time. Got to see old friends. Met some boardies. Got some good deals on Sunday. Got to see Morena Baccarin twice :cloud9:

Even ran into Toast which was the icing on the cake. :)

I think this was better than Rose City though I liked that one too. Yes, it was spendy and yes, they blew it on the number of WD variants but I put the latter on it being their first time in PDX.

Would I have liked more comic vendors? Yes, but I thought ECC last year had too few so am wondering about it now when it's expanded so much. Yep, I would have liked more panels but maybe that will come next year.

I'd be curious what people who have attended WW in other markets felt about PDX. Are the entrance fees comparable? Was the experience comparable?

All in all, I thought it was fun.

Portland and Seattle are just two different markets and I'm looking forward to WW next year and ECC this weekend.