• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

I think even most casual shoppers know when auctions/prices have been manipulated on ebay at this point.

And comparing this book to BA 12- another one with heavy market manipulation and false data being reported to GPA through bogus ebay transactions- is probably about right.

-J.

J, as you might remember, I am collecting the run. Since your prior post, I have kept my eye on e***3 on my other auctions as he purchased two of the 9.8 #1's you had the most trouble with.

He has been active in several of my mid run, non key issues in Star Wars. He is currently outbidding me for issue #48 and jumped on the annual #3 at $140 on a 9.6 that I thought was over priced and never bid.

This bidder looked very suspicious to me as well but they have continued to stay active in what I would consider very low interest issues in the Star Wars run that would have little value in shilling and continues to bid for some of those issues. At the same time, he is absent from several other issues. So it is somewhat selective as if they were filling a run.

Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with you this was a large jump on #1 outside of the market trend and perhaps not sustainable. However, if you continued to monitor this bidder, it looks like a collector is going for a run here from the other auctions I have seen and the continued activity this same bidder has had across a set of low interest issues.

I think even most casual shoppers know when auctions/prices have been manipulated on ebay at this point.

And comparing this book to BA 12- another one with heavy market manipulation and false data being reported to GPA through bogus ebay transactions- is probably about right.

-J.

J, as you might remember, I am collecting the run. Since your prior post, I have kept my eye on e***3 on my other auctions as he purchased two of the 9.8 #1's you had the most trouble with.

He has been active in several of my mid run, non key issues in Star Wars. He is currently outbidding me for issue #48 and jumped on the annual #3 at $140 on a 9.6 that I thought was over priced and never bid.

This bidder looked very suspicious to me as well but they have continued to stay active in what I would consider very low interest issues in the Star Wars run that would have little value in shilling and continues to bid for some of those issues. At the same time, he is absent from several other issues. So it is somewhat selective as if they were filling a run.

Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with you this was a large jump on #1 outside of the market trend and perhaps not sustainable. However, if you continued to monitor this bidder, it looks like a collector is going for a run here from the other auctions I have seen and the continued activity this same bidder has had across a set of low interest issues.

I've actually watched both of those bidders from those sketchy auctions in a few other auctions as well. I saw them both participating in (and running up) auctions for #1 9.6's in addition to the 9.8's. Nobody has iron clad proof of their intentions either way, but IMO it does appear that those two bidders are attempting to steer the SW comic book market (mostly the #1's).

-J.

-J.

I've actually watched both of those bidders from those sketchy auctions in a few other auctions as well. I saw them both participating in (and running up) auctions for #1 9.6's in addition to the 9.8's. Nobody has iron clad proof of their intentions either way, but IMO it does appear that those two bidders are attempting to steer the SW comic book market (mostly the #1's).

-J.

I do not really track the 9.6 auctions so I am not sure what is happening in those.

Here is the summary of the current Star Wars 9.8 eBay auctions and e***3 participation:

Return of Jedi #3 - 9.8 - current winning bidder

Star Wars #13 - 9.8 - bid - but not winning

Star Wars #3 - 9.8 - current winning bidder

Star Wars #40 - 9.8 - not bidding at all

Star Wars #43 - 9.8 - not bidding at all

Star Wars #24 - 9.8 - current winning bidder

Star Wars #28 - 9.8 - current winning bidder

Star Wars #29 - 9.8 - current winning bidder

Star Wars #48 - 9.8 - current winning bidder

Star Wars #21 - 9.8 - current winning bidder

These have multiple different sellers (some have the same seller). Many of these have a current diverse bidder list - so they are outbidding different people in different auctions.

Clearly, they are very active in the Star Wars run.

-J.

-J.

I do not really track the 9.6 auctions so I am not sure what is happening in those.

Here is the summary of the current Star Wars 9.8 eBay auctions and e***3 participation:

These have multiple different sellers (some have the same seller). Many of these have a current diverse bidder list - so they are outbidding different people in different auctions.

hm

And yet it's interesting that neither one of them one-bidded any of the auctions for a 9.8, #1 that was more than $125 less than any of the other other auctions that they themselves ran up the bids on just a few days earlier.

-J.

-J.

-J.

hm

And yet it's interesting that neither one of them one-bidded any of the auctions for a 9.8, #1 that was more than $125 less than any of the other other auctions that they themselves ran up the bids on just a few days earlier.

-J.

J, to be fair, I think you could have taken the data either way (if they had purchased it or had not purchased it) and used it to support your theory that these people are illegally manipulating the market.

I would add one word of caution. Shilling, as you know, is an illegal activity. It is also very specific. It is done to improve the outcome for the sellers. The buyer is a stooge. The seller is the lead criminal when you call something "shilling".

In this case, here are the four active sellers involved with this person's current auction activity for Star Wars comics:

****(3033) 100% positive feedback

****(18484) 100% positive feedback

****(1038) 100 % positive feedback

****(617) 100% positive feedback

I did not include the eBay names out of courtesy. In two of these cases, they are long standing comic shops selling on eBay with outstanding reputations across a very broad set of comics. The other two also have perfect reputations for selling comics (just not as long).

I would be very leery to accuse such people of a crime with no other data then someone paid too much for a book - twice - and happens to be bidding on their items. I do not believe any of these sellers even sold the #1.

Given this person's continued activity across a broad set of reputable sellers and issues in the Star Wars run, I think calling them "shills" is just not appropriate because it accuses a lot of innocent sellers of a crime there is simply no evidence to support.

I think you are left with people trying to manipulate a market without a strong connection to the underlying, current sellers. To me, that does not make much sense.

-J.

-J.

hm

-J.

J, to be fair, I think you could have taken the data either way (if they had purchased it or had not purchased it) and used it to support your theory that these people are illegally manipulating the market.

I would add one word of caution. Shilling, as you know, is an illegal activity. It is also very specific. It is done to improve the outcome for the sellers. The buyer is a stooge. The seller is the lead criminal when you call something "shilling".

In this case, here are the four active sellers involved with this person's current auction activity for Star Wars comics:

****(3033) 100% positive feedback

****(18484) 100% positive feedback

****(1038) 100 % positive feedback

****(617) 100% positive feedback

I did not include the eBay names out of courtesy. In two of these cases, they are long standing comic shops selling on eBay with outstanding reputations across a very broad set of comics. The other two also have perfect reputations for selling comics (just not as long).

I would be very leery to accuse such people of a crime with no other data then someone paid too much for a book - twice - and happens to be bidding on their items. I do not believe any of these sellers even sold the #1.

Given this person's continued activity across a broad set of reputable sellers and issues in the Star Wars run, I think calling them "shills" is just not appropriate because it accuses a lot of innocent sellers of a crime there is simply no evidence to support.

I think you are left with people trying to manipulate a market without a strong connection to the underlying, current sellers. To me, that does not make much sense.

I appreciate your point of view, but the buyers do not need to have any specific connections to the sellers to shill an auction. Oftentimes those buyers shilling those auctions have copies of the books themselves they are intending to sell and are attempting to spike the market in advance.

This is why you see so many sellers cancelling bids from sketchy buyers.

-J.

I appreciate your point of view, but the buyers do not need to have any specific connections to the sellers to shill an auction. Oftentimes those buyers shilling those auctions have copies of the books themselves they are intending to sell and are attempting to spike the market in advance.

-J.

Jaydogrules, a buyer most certainly does have to have a relationship with the seller in order to be shilling an auction. You should pick a different word for what you are trying to accuse these two bidders of doing. 2c

http://ebay.about.com/od/glossaryofebayterms/g/gl_shill.htm

Shilling breaks federal law. What you are accusing these 2 of doing is not breaking any such law.

Edited by rjrjr

There's shills in the water and under the water in the walls and tunneling underground and in the closet and under the bed and between the sheets and..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

-J.

Jaydogrules, a buyer most certainly does have to have a relationship with the seller in order to be shilling an auction. You should pick a different word for what you are trying to accuse these two bidders of doing. 2c

http://ebay.about.com/od/glossaryofebayterms/g/gl_shill.htm

Shilling breaks federal law. What you are accusing these 2 of doing is not breaking any such law.

I did. I also said they were "conspiring" with each other to artificially inflate the price of the book. Which they were. ;)

I'm not trying to debate the "legality" of their actions or the technical terms of what they are doing. "Shilling" is generally understood (at least in ebay/auction parlance) as an auction with sketchy bids placed (by someone, regardless of whether or not the seller in that particular auction is in on it) to manipulate the price/increase the desirability of an item. This is also consistent with eBay's own policy on the matter. I also consider it "shilling" when someone clicks a "buy-it-now" with an exorbitantly high price tag with no intention of paying, for the sole reason of GPA spiking/market manipulation. (thumbs u

-J.

Star Wars 1 in 9.8 reminds me of a George Brett rookie card in mint 9 PSA grade. Card sold for 600 bucks for years then a year or so ago price shot up and settled at 1500-1700.

Stable ever since.

The Dude abides...

I have a theory about this book…

Since the last film I don't know how many years it has been… but Star Wars has built up its fan base… my nephew now 12 grew up on SW through PS2 games; cartoons; alternate media etc… although it had a already huge fan base; it stretched out through different media to a whole new set of fans… expanding beneath people who where otherwise unaware of its growth noses… with the onset of the new movie its a culmination; these new fan/old fans are converging… drawing up the price on al SW items… I would say the same for Deadpool… I noticed he was really big in "cosplay" maybe the building up of the fan base culminated with the announcement of release of a new film… Harley Quinn as well...

Love this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-2-3-46-77-Lot-Of-5-Jul-1977-Marvel-8-5-VF-High-Grade-Nice-/171687681242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9621cda

Crappy photo... Check!

Failure to identify reprints... Check!

Probable non-paying bidder... Check!

When did 8.5 become 'high grade'?

Love this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-2-3-46-77-Lot-Of-5-Jul-1977-Marvel-8-5-VF-High-Grade-Nice-/171687681242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9621cda

Crappy photo... Check!

Failure to identify reprints... Check!

Probable non-paying bidder... Check!

When did 8.5 become 'high grade'?

VF and above used to be high-grade across the board. Now, if it's modern and not 9.8, it's not high grade; if it's Copper or Bronze and not 9.6, it's not HG; if it's Silver and not 9.4, it's not HG; if it's Gold, NOW we are back into the VF range being HG...

(:

-slym

Over the last few months I think I've seen 9 more 9.8's added to the census. I'd think more would have popped up by now. Yet I have not watched the 9.6 numbers, they may increase a bunch.
I don't think there are as many sure fire 9.8 raws out there as people want to believe.