• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Can someone clear up the reprint #1 for me. What came first : the 30 cent REPRINT cover or the blank UPC box reprints?

The 30 cent reprint was clearly the 1st reprint by marvel.

The blank UPC and price was printed by National Book Store, Inc. I know very little about this arrangement but here is a link that provides a little info:

(Some sites even refer to this as a "variant". It was reprinted by another company. )

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=f11cadb0-ee45-4ab8-bd1f-e73ec42fd775

Well, it's pretty obvious that no matter how hot this book is it's cleary not hot enough that people would pay 2000 for one Or else this book would be long gone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-Marvel-7-77-White-Pages-First-Print-/171685549762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f94196c2

Not even this one sold yet and it's listed below what the last one sold for at auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-1977-/191516375589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9743fa25

Well, it's pretty obvious that no matter how hot this book is it's cleary not hot enough that people would pay 2000 for one Or else this book would be long gone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-Marvel-7-77-White-Pages-First-Print-/171685549762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f94196c2

Not even this one sold yet and it's listed below what the last one sold for at auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-1977-/191516375589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9743fa25

Because everyone knows those auctions were shilled? (shrug)

-J.

-J.

And I say it's only a matter of time before this book hits 2G's at auction. I expect this book to get that and more after the first real trailer Hits.

-J.

I agree with your prior estimate as well. I think the market coming out of last year was headed to $1,000 to $1,100 for this book (which was still high growth).

$1,800 was a big jump whether it was fake or just two aggressive bidders, it was a large jump.

Sellers are now testing the market at this higher price. It might settle back to the prior growth it was seeing if these books stagnat for awhile at this higher price. Having only watched this particular book closely over several months I have no idea if such peaks, etc., are normal for fast moving books.

To me, there is no shame in this book being price above $1k. It was surprising to me when I first started and saw it priced at $500 - $600. That appeared relatively cheap compared to other bronze books from minor characters.

1. this is a KEY book, it's the first appearance of Darth Vader in Green Helmet, and Princess Leia's hotter red headed sister. :gossip:

2. print runs no longer matter, look at BA12 or NM98. to me those books are way overpriced, maybe since I, along with the rest of you can remember when those were dollar bin books. but I decided a long time ago, to not try to make sense of this hobby but to go with "what is" and right now Star Wars #1 is a hot book.

Good points from you and Slym.

The movie tie in speculation has totally changed everything.

Just a little thought.

Diamonds are common as, well, dirt, but their value is elevated simply because of the steady, continuous demand. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be a small supply for prices to be higher than seems logical.

SW1 is also benefiting from the current comic key craze going on right now. Rising tide, and all that.

I have no idea about the current pricing, whether it will stay, increase, decrease, whatever. Time will tell.

And neither does anyone else.

:applause:

100K or 500K printed, there are MILLIONS of Star Wars fans. Supply is only one side of the coin, and the demand is there for ths book.

:)

-slym

Good posts.

People always bring up print runs, but forget about the demand part.

Star Wars is a pop culture phenomenon like the Beatles.

The demand will always be strong. Yes, there will be ebbs and flows, but a peak is about to start with these new Disney Star Wars movies.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

The kool-aid is strong with this one.

Yeesh - I can barely see through the clouds of hype around here. *NEWSFLASH* - this book wasn't discovered yesterday. I remember seeing this book on a dealer wall at my first convention in 1985, with a price tag of $8. Even then, at the age of 10, I was already aware of how incredibly common this book was. It's not rare, it's never been rare, it will never be rare. And Star Wars has been popular for almost 40 years now, and this has *ALWAYS* been reflected in the price of this book. And yet, the book almost triples in "value" over the last six months...? Does that seem reasonable?

IMO, dropping $1800 on a 9.8 #1 might be the single WORST thing I can think of to do with that money. If I have the books, I'm selling them All. Day. Long. If I'm a buyer...I'm not buying. Simple as that.

Saving this so it can't be edited in about 9 months :banana:

Been pretty quite on the Star Wars Front. hm

I haven't been watching the 9.8 copies, but I have been watching (and buying) the 9.6 and 9.4 copies, and the book is up in all grades, 9.6, could be had for $300 two months ago, now they sell for $600 or slightly above, and the 9.4 copies during the same time were selling for $150-$200, they are now selling for $225-$275.

I think the 9.8s are catching thier breath, after such a fast upswing in price, the top end copies are always hard to peg, this book reminds me of the pattern BA12 took a year and a half ago.

I haven't been watching the 9.8 copies, but I have been watching (and buying) the 9.6 and 9.4 copies, and the book is up in all grades, 9.6, could be had for $300 two months ago, now they sell for $600 or slightly above, and the 9.4 copies during the same time were selling for $150-$200, they are now selling for $225-$275.

I think the 9.8s are catching thier breath, after such a fast upswing in price, the top end copies are always hard to peg, this book reminds me of the pattern BA12 took a year and a half ago.

I wasn't paying attention to BA12 at the time so I'll take your word for it.

I wasn't paying attention to BA12 at the time so I'll take your word for it.

yeah, to be more clear on that , it took some time for BA12 in 9.8 to be accepted as a $1000-$1,500 book. Star Wars 1 may follow the same path.

I think even most casual shoppers know when auctions/prices have been manipulated on ebay at this point.

And comparing this book to BA 12- another one with heavy market manipulation and false data being reported to GPA through bogus ebay transactions- is probably about right.

-J.