• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Just made a call to an old friend of mine who was full time in the business back in the late 70's.

When Star Wars 1 came out the newsstand distributors would of sold them via bundle's. A company like Seagate would of sold them to comic stores in some type of boxes. There were remainders on the back issue market from both types of distribution. At the time DC was canceling Kirby fourth world titles with 150K print run. Star Wars 1 print run was well above a DC cancelation title.

The kool-aid is strong with this one.

Yeesh - I can barely see through the clouds of hype around here. *NEWSFLASH* - this book wasn't discovered yesterday. I remember seeing this book on a dealer wall at my first convention in 1985, with a price tag of $8. Even then, at the age of 10, I was already aware of how incredibly common this book was. It's not rare, it's never been rare, it will never be rare. And Star Wars has been popular for almost 40 years now, and this has *ALWAYS* been reflected in the price of this book. And yet, the book almost triples in "value" over the last six months...? Does that seem reasonable?

IMO, dropping $1800 on a 9.8 #1 might be the single WORST thing I can think of to do with that money. If I have the books, I'm selling them All. Day. Long. If I'm a buyer...I'm not buying. Simple as that.

Why, the condescension is strong with this one as well. A lovely trait!

Sorry you are so intimidated by logic.

A drug bing? Setting it on fire? Going to see "From Justin to Kelly" 1,000 times in the theater until the money was spent? None of these made your lists of worst ideas but this purchase did?

I thought it was fairly obvious that I was speaking within the context of investing the money on comics. I guess you have a hard time inferring what was implied within the context of the conversation, so I will be sure to spell it out for you more clearly in the future. doh!

I am trying to provide "facts" here.

Look forward to that. Please proceed whenever you are ready

People keep claiming they printed "millions of these things" "one for every man woman and child", etc. and they have no actual data on how this book was printed and the dynamics around the initial print and reprints.

Are you fabricating quotes now, too...?

"Rare" is relative.

No, it's not. Rare is rare. Demand might be relative to supply, and vice versa, but RARE is certainly not relative.

Even if they printed 100,000, it was highly collected by many and the survival rate would be high I would think relative to other more common titles.

That could result in a supply much above some bronze age comics when you consider survival rates even with a lower initial print run.

So, wait...are you saying it's "rare"...? :insane:

If that data sounds like cool-aide to you, I guess I should enjoy the cool-aide. I find it more satisfying to do some actual research on the topic then to listen to a story about a boy who was 10 at a convention and making that my "definitive data" on how rare a book actually is.

Sadly, my 10-year-old self still has a better grasp on this market than you do.

You really loaded up on that reply! :slapfight:

I probably deserved it. However, you did take the first cheap shot with the cool aide!

Believe it or not, the only thing I am trying to figure out is the initial print run for Star Wars #1.

The rest is just prideful noise from me.

I have an email into Marvel asking for any help they might provide.

P.s. I did think my obscure reference to "From Justin to Kelly" had some humorous value for American Idol fans. :)

Edited by vint43

Just a little thought.

Diamonds are common as, well, dirt, but their value is elevated simply because of the steady, continuous demand.

Diamonds also hold their value because the market for them is manipulated to an unbelievable degree through the De Beers cartel and marketing efforts. The Atlantic ran a classic article in the early 80's about it. Good reading, if anyone cares...

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

You really loaded up on that reply! :slapfight:

I probably deserved it. However, you did take the first cheap shot with the cool aide!

Believe it or not, the only thing I am trying to figure out is the initial print run for Star Wars #1.

The rest is just prideful noise from me.

I have an email into Marvel asking for any help they might provide.

P.s. I did think my obscure reference to "From Justin to Kelly" had some humorous value for American Idol fans. :)

Ha - fair enough. Truce!

BTW, just for the record: The "kool-aid" comment was directed towards the sudden overzealous hype for this book, and was not specifically aimed towards you (or anyone else).

Just a little thought.

Diamonds are common as, well, dirt, but their value is elevated simply because of the steady, continuous demand. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be a small supply for prices to be higher than seems logical.

SW1 is also benefiting from the current comic key craze going on right now. Rising tide, and all that.

I have no idea about the current pricing, whether it will stay, increase, decrease, whatever. Time will tell.

And neither does anyone else.

:applause:

100K or 500K printed, there are MILLIONS of Star Wars fans. Supply is only one side of the coin, and the demand is there for ths book.

:)

-slym

Just a little thought.

Diamonds are common as, well, dirt, but their value is elevated simply because of the steady, continuous demand. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be a small supply for prices to be higher than seems logical.

SW1 is also benefiting from the current comic key craze going on right now. Rising tide, and all that.

I have no idea about the current pricing, whether it will stay, increase, decrease, whatever. Time will tell.

100K or 500K printed, there are MILLIONS of Star Wars fans. Supply is only one side of the coin, and the demand is there for ths book.

-slym

I agree with this, but the thing that gets me is that it has waited this long to fully explode, when it has been around for 40 years.

A new direction has pumped new excitement into the universe? Maybe....

Just a little thought.

-slym

I agree with this, but the thing that gets me is that it has waited this long to fully explode, when it has been around for 40 years.

A new direction has pumped new excitement into the universe? Maybe....

The force is strong with Ep VII.

Well, the movie-hype thing is relatively new in the comic-world, so it doesn't surprise me at all that it is "just now" ramping up in hysteria.

;)

-slym

It's been incredibley hard to avoid spoilers. :facepalm:

1. this is a KEY book, it's the first appearance of Darth Vader in Green Helmet, and Princess Leia's hotter red headed sister. :gossip:

2. print runs no longer matter, look at BA12 or NM98. to me those books are way overpriced, maybe since I, along with the rest of you can remember when those were dollar bin books. but I decided a long time ago, to not try to make sense of this hobby but to go with "what is" and right now Star Wars #1 is a hot book.

Just a little thought.

Diamonds are common as, well, dirt, but their value is elevated simply because of the steady, continuous demand.

Diamonds also hold their value because the market for them is manipulated to an unbelievable degree through the De Beers cartel and marketing efforts. The Atlantic ran a classic article in the early 80's about it. Good reading, if anyone cares...

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

Great article! I knew about the market manipulation, but to read about how they manipulated the lemmings is priceless.

Just made a call to an old friend of mine who was full time in the business back in the late 70's.

When Star Wars 1 came out the newsstand distributors would of sold them via bundle's. A company like Seagate would of sold them to comic stores in some type of boxes. There were remainders on the back issue market from both types of distribution. At the time DC was canceling Kirby fourth world titles with 150K print run. Star Wars 1 print run was well above a DC cancelation title.

A) Kirby's last DC work was almost exactly a year before Star Wars #1 was released.

B) As noted by historian Paul Levitz who checked the records at DC Comics during the writing of his massive tome on the comics publisher, Kirby's books were not bad sellers, but rather middle of the pack sellers that should've outlasted half of DC's line at the time.

I really don't understand everyone's surprise in how this book is ramping up and will continue to ramp up until the release of the movie. Has no one been paying attention to the last 10 years?

I don't think people are surprised that it's ramping up, but rather the apparent and sudden magnitude.

Which is reasonable since it is all tracked back to those three manipulated ebay auctions and some pumping and a bit of misinformation being circulated on these boards. An $1,100 book? Sure, why not. $1800? Um....no.

-J.

Just a little thought.

-slym

This has been both a fun and non-fun debate at the same time. I can't help but be worried that it could lead to the wrath of 50's war comics like what happened during a debate on the 2015 Star Wars series before last Christmas. That debate was so foreboding that I still feel worried about my purchase of the new Star Wars series (which I don't even intend on selling).

Just a little thought.

-slym

This has been both a fun and non-fun debate at the same time. I can't help but be worried that it could lead to the wrath of 50's war comics like what happened during a debate on the 2015 Star Wars series before last Christmas. That debate was so foreboding that I still feel worried about my purchase of the new Star Wars series (which I don't even intend on selling).

......Don't worry, be Happy........ GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I really don't understand everyone's surprise in how this book is ramping up and will continue to ramp up until the release of the movie. Has no one been paying attention to the last 10 years?

I don't think people are surprised that it's ramping up, but rather the apparent and sudden magnitude.

Which is reasonable since it is all tracked back to those three manipulated ebay auctions and some pumping and a bit of misinformation being circulated on these boards. An $1,100 book? Sure, why not. $1800? Um....no.

-J.

People don't just regularly pay $700 more for a book for no reason... if the demand is there the price will hold because people are willing to pay it... if not they won't.