• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

I don't think the pricing is out of line for the #1's in CGC 9.8. I've always felt that it was an under priced book. I'm more surprised that copies in the lower grades are still as inexpensive as they've been to this point. A 9.6 could be a flaw away from 9.8 yet the prices seem to be roughly 1/3 the cost of the higher grade. Then a 9.4 seems to be falling in the range of maybe 1/5 of the 9.8. I would love to have a 9.8 but the 9.6 seems to be the sweet spot and best current value for your dollar right now imo.

I don't think the pricing is out of line for the #1's in CGC 9.8. I've always felt that it was an under priced book. I'm more surprised that copies in the lower grades are still as inexpensive as they've been to this point. A 9.6 could be a flaw away from 9.8 yet the prices seem to be roughly 1/3 the cost of the higher grade. Then a 9.4 seems to be falling in the range of maybe 1/5 of the 9.8. I would love to have a 9.8 but the 9.6 seems to be the sweet spot and best current value for your dollar right now imo.

This actually isn't surprising since the only recorded sales at this price point are 3 sketchy ebay auctions.

-J.

I am staying out of this mess show. (kinda).. BUT there is that $1500.00 9.8 board sale mentioned earlier that is definitely legit ! Yes the raised price point could be a FAKE price point but in this market that is all it takes. As for Jdog love him or hate him, most of the books he has pointed out have taken a NOSE DIVE, once real sales started coming in ! Star wars #1 was maybe a little undervalued, there are still unopened cases of this book out there so we will see if it holds these prices for the long term. If these prices are sustainable I am a seller into this price point.

This actually isn't surprising since the only recorded sales at this price point are 3 sketchy ebay auctions.

-J.

That's not really a strong argument. Getting that old a book in 9.8 isnt easy, even when its one that common. The rarity of the UHG helps to counter the downward price pressure of the books high print run.

Almost all books that have a high print run/high value at the top end, tend to have parabolic price curves.

Whether current FMV is $1000 or $2000, has no bearing on the drop off between a 9.8 and 9.6, regardless of any fake sales.

Edited by CBT

-J.

That's not really a strong argument. Getting that old a book in 9.8 isnt easy, even when its one that common. The rarity of the UHG helps to counter the downward price pressure of the books high print run.

Almost all books that have a high print run/high value at the top end, tend to have parabolic price curves.

Whether current FMV is $1000 or $2000, has no bearing on the drop off between a 9.8 and 9.6, regardless of any fake sales.

There are only around 800 9.6. Not rare but not plentiful for Star Wars imo.

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Star+Wars&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=1&year=1977&issuedate=7%2F77

I wasnt saying the 9.6 price point was right or wrong, just that with mega-print run books they always tend to have far more of an exponential curve to their price points, regardless of whether given sales are valid or not.

I also think with the rise (current part real or not, whatever, its been rising for a while), many more UHG copies will get subbed. The ratio of 9.6/9.8 will likely continue to rise imo, with 9.6s being easier to chase than 9.8.

From my own experience last year acquiring and missing on a few copies, there arent a ton for sale. If you dont own multiples, I think selling would be a bad idea. (Unless selling comics is your trade, then its a great idea). I doubt buying it for $500(the spring/summer 2014 price if patient) in 9.8 will be seen again, even in a comic market collapse, inflation of the USD alone would probably prevent it.

Edited by CBT

I can see huge bucks for 9.8s #1 and the cover price variant. It is not just the first issue of a comic about a movie, it predated the movie. Star Wars collectors, and there are many of them, who have NO interest in comics in general who have the dough will want this and pay for it.

If Walking Dead 1 9.8s can be approaching $2K there is no reason an almost 40 year old comic can't. SW 1 may have had 50X the print-run, but there is no way there are more 9.8s in the wild than WD #1.

Maybe the worst false analogy ever.

Not sure why. And no, I do not own a 9.8, 9.6, 9.4 SW 1. wish i did. probably sold a raw 9.6 within the last year or two for $60 or something. maybe i have a raw 9.2, but probably not, maybe it is an 8.5 or 9.0, I will look. i'm not in this game. i think the WD money is crazy as is SW 1 money, but if that is what the market thinks is reasonable, who am I to judge?

I am staying out of this mess show. (kinda).. BUT there is that $1500.00 9.8 board sale mentioned earlier that is definitely legit ! Yes the raised price point could be a FAKE price point but in this market that is all it takes. As for Jdog love him or hate him, most of the books he has pointed out have taken a NOSE DIVE, once real sales started coming in ! Star wars #1 was maybe a little undervalued, there are still unopened cases of this book out there so we will see if it holds these prices for the long term. If these prices are sustainable I am a seller into this price point.

Can you get your hands on some of these cases of books?

Just saw a 9.4 sell for $306. Definitely moving upwards with demand as well. A little OT, but I probably have 25 or so carded original trilogy figures. I wonder if they're seeing a rise in demand as well. I don't keep track of the toy market, but might need to take a look. hm

Sure want me to make a u-tube video ? lol come on there are TONS of Novas , shazams, spider-woman, ms marvels all the 1977 books where hoarded like the nineties. The guys that have them are for sure breaking them open and slowly processing them into the system. I bet a couple of them are throwing out shill bids with BS eBay accounts to get the price up. hm Edited by paul747

Sure want me to make a u-tube video ? lol come on there are TONS of Novas , shazams, spider-woman, ms marvels all the 1977 books where hoarded like the nineties. The guys that have them are for sure breaking them open and slowly processing them into the system. I bet a couple of them are throwing out shill bids with BS eBay accounts to get the price up. hm
Yes, I'd love to see a video. I don't believe these unopened cases you speak of exist. :sumo: I want proof.

Sure want me to make a u-tube video ? lol come on there are TONS of Novas , shazams, spider-woman, ms marvels all the 1977 books where hoarded like the nineties. The guys that have them are for sure breaking them open and slowly processing them into the system. I bet a couple of them are throwing out shill bids with BS eBay accounts to get the price up. hm
Yes, I'd love to see a video. I don't believe these unopened cases you speak of exist. :sumo: I want proof.
(..NICE VOICE..) Do you know anything about Star wars collectors? they are hoarders period ! there are unopened cases of this book out there and there are guys who have tons of copies ! the utube video was a joke ...hence the face icon.. You will have your prof keep your eye on the census, if this price point holds for a while they will be flying in to CGC.

If I personally had a case the last thing i would do is SHOW YOU ! :baiting:

Edited by paul747

Do you know anything about Star wars collectors? they are hoarders period ! there are unopened cases of this book out there and there are guys who have tons of copies ! the utube video was a joke ...hence the face icon.. You will have your prof keep your eye on the census, if this price point holds for a while they will be flying in to CGC.

If I personally had a case the last thing i would do is SHOW YOU !

I know the youtube video coment from you was a joke, I meant if anyone were to have cases of any of the books you mentioned (not just the star wars #1) I would love to see them because I don't think they exist at the volumes you say they do. doh!

Do you know anything about Star wars collectors? they are hoarders period ! there are unopened cases of this book out there and there are guys who have tons of copies ! the utube video was a joke ...hence the face icon.. You will have your prof keep your eye on the census, if this price point holds for a while they will be flying in to CGC.

If I personally had a case the last thing i would do is SHOW YOU !

I know the youtube video coment from you was a joke, I meant if anyone were to have cases of any of the books you mentioned (not just the star wars #1) I would love to see them because I don't think they exist at the volumes you say they do. doh!
They really are out there ! look at the latest MS marvel #1 find hundred plus ! I have seen Tons of these books I mean Tons.. Nova , Shazam they are everywhere in BULK. I got 15 Copies of Star Wars #1 of a guy on Ebay a year ago he had just cracked a case.

-J.

I'm afraid I will have to vehemently (though respectfully) disagree with you. If you want to consider this book a "key" (I don't), once you compare it to actual, bona fide original material comic book keys from the same era, this is probably THE MOST common book found in a 9.8, and is even more common in a 9.8 than some keys are in a 9.6 or even grades below that. And this is with books that have had more than double the submissions to date than SW 1 in some cases. It's amazing to me how some folks posting in this thread seem to be getting closer and closer to calling this book "rare" as if to explain why this book "should" be "worth" $1800+ in a 9.8. Reminder: This book is not "rare", in any grade, at all, as Paul has also been explaining. And that is even before this artificial price spike which absolutely will bring out PLENTY more 9.8's, as well as numerous CPR's of 9.6's no doubt that will turn into even more 9.8's.

Reality Check:

GSXM 1- Total Submissions: 5,111

9.8's: 125

9.6's: 266 (still less than SW 1, 9.8)

ASM 129- Total Submissions: 5,982

9.8's: 83

9.6's: 265 (still less than SW 1, 9.8)

ASM 194- Total Submissions: 2,049

9.8's: 200

Incredible Hulk 181- Total Submissions: 7,219

9.8's: 91

9.6's: 262 (still less than SW 1, 9.8)

X-men 94- Total Submissions: 4,214

9.8's: 25

9.6's: 73 (still less then SW 1, 9.8)

9.4's: 203 (ditto)

9.2's: 285 (ditto)

Conan the Barbarian- Total Submissions: 2,265

9.8's: 36

(and fewer copies in every single

grade below than SW 1, 9.8 alone)

Iron Man 55- Total Submissions: 1,707

9.8's: 48

(and fewer copies in every single

grade below than SW 1, 9.8 alone)

Star Wars 1- Total Submissions: 3,343

9.8's: 309 (and counting)

As you can see, SW 1 9.8 is anywhere from 30% higher to more than 10X more common in 9.8 than all of the books above, which are generally accepted as being some of the most important and valuable books from the era. It's one thing to be a fan and to like seeing a book seemingly going up in value. But let's not re-write history here or completely ignore the reality of actual facts and data points.

In actuality, based on what other, similar aged (and also rarer in 9.8 grade) books go for in a 9.6 grade relative to their 9.8 counterparts, a 9.8 SW 1 is probably legitimately valued at around $1,100, based on what 9.6's are trading for (around $550-$575). This is still a nice and very sizable bump over the $550 9.8 SW 1's were going for just a matter of months ago, and probably what they would be going for without the pumping and ebay auction manipulation that's been going on to skew the numbers. My 2 cents.

-J.