• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Watched this earlier today. This guy is absolutely spot on.

I may watch that tomorrow.

Does he discuss sexual freedom unconstrained and its effect on the decline of traditional marriage, courtship, and procreation?

Does he discuss sexual freedom unconstrained and its effect on the decline of traditional marriage, courtship, and procreation?

No...mores are completely excluded from the presentation except for their underlying complexity.

Although, come to think about it, family size is discussed as it relates to cost.

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

No...mores are completely excluded from the presentation except for their underlying complexity.

Although, come to think about it, family size is discussed as it relates to cost.

If he isn't talking about the decline of the American family, size, citizenship, and communal role, he's missing a huge piece of the puzzle, IMO.

If he isn't talking about the decline of the American family, size, citizenship, and communal role, he's missing a huge piece of the puzzle, IMO.

I imagine it could be woven into his complexity model, since successful civilizations are complex in many ways including complex social structures, but his focus is primarily on energy and wealth. You could tell he wanted to spend more time discussing the decline and collapse of previous civilizations, but there was only so much time available in the lecture.

I imagine it could be woven into his complexity model, since successful civilizations are complex in many ways including complex social structures, but his focus is primarily on energy and wealth. You could tell he wanted to spend more time discussing the decline and collapse of previous civilizations, but there was only so much time available in the lecture.

Regardless, it has my interest.

Have you seen the Zeitgeist series of documentaries?

I don't agree with everything in them, most importantly the underlying philosophical premise, but they are compelling.