• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, greggy said:
19 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Picard is good too.  I like it better than Discovery.

vhQzrhm.gif

Finished Killing Eve...new season on April 12th

I got a recommendation to try out Black Mirror.  Thankfully, these are standalone episodes. 

Black Mirror is excellent, although it tends to focus on social media issues (much like SF from the 50s and 60s focused on nuclear weapons and radiation).

If you only watch one episode, make sure you watch 'Metalhead' S4E5.

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

17 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

We have tons of Sprouts stores in the Phoenix area. I've never been in one.

They're kinda like a smaller, cheaper version of Whole Foods.  Their bulk food area is very good, and the only reason I go there.

3 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Black Mirror is excellent, although it tends to focus on social media issues (much like SF from the 50s and 60s focused on nuclear weapons and radiation).

Yup, the first one wasn't great and I got bored with the second one and quit.

I'll try out that episode and hope for the best>:(

Just now, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

They're kinda like a smaller, cheaper version of Whole Foods.  Their bulk food area is very good, and the only reason I go there.

And way less people based on my limited comparison. 

Just now, greggy said:
Just now, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

And way less people based on my limited comparison. 

Yeah, that's been my experience.

4 minutes ago, greggy said:
9 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Yup, the first one wasn't great and I got bored with the second one and quit.

I'll try out that episode and hope for the best>:(

If you like SF animation, I highly recommend Love, Death & Robots on Netflix.  The first episode is pretty amazing and parts are used in the music video below.  

In a dystopian cyberpunk future, a scarred and traumatized young woman who partakes in gruesome death matches where engineered beasts mercilessly tear each other apart for sport to entertain the sadistic, rich and powerful is seduced by the mistress of a sinister man who bet on her beast.

Meanwhile in South Korea...

cOvho4D.jpg

Mandatory Quarantine Care Packages

I came into contact with someone who was later determined to be infected with coronavirus and am now under two weeks mandatory quarantine. On my first official day I got a delivery from the local government with an absolute mammoth care package of food, water, tissues, etc. Really blown away by the lengths the government is taking to take care of its citizens. Looking around on Instagram this seems to be the norm in various regions of the country. In addition to this I also got a delivery by the 보건서 with masks, garbage bags (including hazmat), and hand/spray sanitizers.

...people quarantining at home (which is mandatory if you've so much as been proximal to somebody officially known to have Coronavirus) are provided a minimum of 2 weeks worth of supplies by their district government. This isn't meant as a gift -- it's to ensure the quarantined have absolutely no excuse for going out. So the quarantine packages also include things like toilet paper, instant rice and cleaning supplies.

I wish our government was doing things like this. :)

Not really related, but kinda' sorta', I just received an eBay notice for a 12 pk of chicken ramen reduced to $14.99 + 24.52 shipping.(US seller).  Seems a bit steep compared to the 25-60¢ per pack I've been paying my whole entire life. 

Edited by steveinthecity
bartrix2322

2 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

I wish our government was doing things like this. :)

Not really related, but kinda' sorta', I just received an eBay notice for a 12 pk of chicken ramen reduced to $14.99 + 24.52 shipping.(US seller).  Seems a bit steep compared to the 25-60¢ per pack I've been paying my whole entire life. 

Edited 2 minutes ago by steveinthecity
bartrix2322

Yesterday before I found some masks in my tool box, I looked on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/3M-8511PB1-Particulate-Respirator-10-Pack/dp/B0002YKBV2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=n95+mask&qid=1585875221&sr=8-1

There's a link that says "Prioritized for hospitals and government organizations."

Translation: "Yeah right...you ain't gettin' nunna doze."

Juan Giménez Dies at Age 76

Writer/artist Juan Giménez died at the age of 76 on April 2, 2020 in his hometown of Mendoz, Argentina. The passing was confirmed by long-time publisher Humanoids.

"RIP Juan Giménez, the writer, artist, and genre trailblazer behind The Metabarons, The Fourth Power, and Leo Roa," the company tweeted. "The universe is a darker place to explore without you."

According to the Argentinian newspaper La Nacion, Giménez had been hospitalized since March 22 and was later diagnosed with COVID-19.

Born Juan Antonio Giménez López in 1943, the Argentinian artist moved to Spain to attend Barcelona's Academy of Fine Arts. After graduation, Giménez became a popular name in the European comics scene - particularly working in the science fiction genre. His work reached an even broader audience with the 1981 animated film Heavy Metal, for which he designed the "Harry Cannon" short. In 1992, he began work on what was to be one of his hallmark series - Metabarons with writer Alejandro Jodorowsky.

"He did beautiful elaborate and decorative work that was the envy of many, including me," said Walter Simonson. "Never met him, but I didn't have to. His influence touched my work and still remains, hidden away here and there."

1 hour ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

An absolutely incredible artist.  Very sad news.  I have the complete Metabarons hardcover, which is fantastic.

And earlier, his work was always a highlight of Heavy Metal magazine.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I think there was a thread for eBay discounts, but I can't find it.

Anyway, just got an email for one.  Take $5 off, must spend at least $5.01, offer ends 4/13/20.

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit