• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November c-link

137 posts in this topic

Some good deals at tonight's auction! My congratulations in particular to the winners of the Kirby Ghost Rider cover ($7.6k), DC Presents 53 cover ($911), Marvel Fanfare #3 cover (12k), and the Secret Wars #11 cover (12.3k). Well bid.

Some good deals at tonight's auction! My congratulations in particular to the winners of the Kirby Ghost Rider cover ($7.6k), DC Presents 53 cover ($911), Marvel Fanfare #3 cover (12k), and the Secret Wars #11 cover (12.3k). Well bid.

i got the Norm DC cover. 1st published OA i've bought. only bid $45 higher than the guy below me, so i nearly didn't win it. was that a good price? as a reference, i saw a couple of other similar covers that i didn't like nearly as much for more $... but i don't know what sort of history those sort of things have pulled at auction.

I think the Master 8 Bulletman page was a steal for someone. Most things I was interested in went for around what I thought they were worth. The Grandenetti War splash surprised me a little at 2400, I was hoping to pick it up cheap!

In general I thought final prices were solid tonight with very few surprises. If anything, a number of pages went for less than I had expected.

The Kirby Ghost Rider price was reasonable, although there's something about the art that feels off to me, but I can't quite figure out what. Perhaps it's Romita inking?

And you could have had a Kirby splash for under $1k tonight! Granted, it was Captain Victory, and nearly a third of the page was taken up by the masthead, and the art wasn't his finest hour... But still! A Kirby splash for what seems like pocket change in the OA world these days!

I would be happy to have won the Severin Captain Savage cover at its hammer price, and I liked the Green Hornet cover attributed to Robinson.

In general I thought final prices were solid tonight with very few surprises. If anything, a number of pages went for less than I had expected.

I thought there were a number of surprises. On the "greater than expected" side, I'd include the ASM 91 cover, FF 20 splash (maybe not surprising to some, but it just didn't blow me away), the Ditko Strange Tales splash (again, not surprising to some, but I just didn't care for it), the Bermejo Joker cover, and the Michael Turner Witchblade cover and DPS. If you exclude the two splashes which were not surprising to many, there's really only a few lots that exceeded expectations I felt.

On the less than expected side, there were a lot more - the Kirby Ghost Rider cover, the Bissette/Totleben Swamp Thing DPS, the McSpidey #4 cover, the Heck X-Men half-splash, the Foster Tarzan Sunday (granted, this one had some issues), the Kirby Black Panther #12 cover (RNM at $11K), the Adams Green Lantern #78 page, the Cardy Teen Titans cover, the Ditko ASM #30 page (comparable to the $100K page at less than half the price!), the Kaluta Weird Worlds cover (granted, not inked by Kaluta, but still far less than I suspect a dealer would charge), the Paul Smith X-Men pages all sold very reasonably/cheaply, etc. In fact, there were lots of deals to be had among the 3 and low 4-figure items in the sale (some of which have been mentioned already in this thread); that Enric pencil piece that sold for $338 is one that I had considered spending $1-$1.5K on at a NJ show 2-3 years ago (I didn't go for it this time around).

I wouldn't exactly call the Ditko or Kirby results "cheap", but, given where some of the recent prices have been, I think there's more than a few collectors :gossip: about the results this morning.

Its always interesting to read everyone's posts regarding what seems to be a surprise ending price on various auction items, and I suppose I'm no different but I'd like to get some opionions from folks more knowledgeable on the following:

-Aparo Adventure Comics page with the Spectre for $1.9K...is it just me or is this a fairly high price for this type of page? I know they don't turn up that often, but compared with prices from Jim's early B&B run, this seems high to me

-Mazzucchelli DD 208 cover...for an artist with a very limited amount of artwork in the open market I would have thought this cover would be into five figures, instead of closing at $6.8K. DD is really where Mazz first made a name for himself so I thought this would have gone higher

-Romita Jr DD Man Without Fear #5 cover - I really enjoyed this mini-series by Miller/Romita Jr/Williamson and was offered a few covers prevously, but the price was always above $10K. Safe to assume someone took a bath on this one?

-Paul Smith Uncanny X-men pages - seemed to sell for 25% less than I thought...everyone got their fix of Paul Smith Uncanny pages?

-Zulli Sandman painting - I liked it, although I would have preferred Sandman and Death to be more central to the image. But based on size, image, and detail, is $1.5K a good price for something like this?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Yeah, even in the $2-3K range there was a fair bit of stuff that I thought would end in the $3-4K range. That's my price bracket. But there were real no "must haves" or even "really really wants" for me in this auction. There were a few "really, really wants" in the mid-5 figure range, but that's a "can't have" price bracket for me.

I wonder if the sheer quantity and quality of the Heritage auction killed some of the action on this one. There were some great pieces in the CLink auction, but overall it seemed a bit underwhelming when compared to what Heritage offered a few weeks earlier. Perhaps as a result there was less enthusiasm and less cash than normal.

........which leads full circle back to Glen's original post to start this thread.

In fact, there were lots of deals to be had among the 3 and low 4-figure items in the sale (some of which have been mentioned already in this thread);

What are the thoughts on the Spider-Man Team Up #2 Grindberg cover with Surfer and Spidey in space and the Spider-Man #34 Bob Mcleod cover with Punisher.

Both hammered around $1,500.

High, low or about right ?

In fact, there were lots of deals to be had among the 3 and low 4-figure items in the sale (some of which have been mentioned already in this thread);

What are the thoughts on the Spider-Man Team Up #2 Grindberg cover with Surfer and Spidey in space and the Spider-Man #34 Bob Mcleod cover with Punisher.

I think the McLeod cover ended exactly where it should, and the Grindberg about $500 above where it should have ended.

I think the McLeod cover ended exactly where it should, and the Grindberg about $500 above where it should have ended.

Really, I'm surprised you've gone that low ?

That's one of the nicest Grindberg covers I've seen with good background detail and an interesting depiction of Spidey.

I expected it to smash the price ceiling on Grindbergs and sell for $2,500+.

I don't know much about what Mcleod covers have been going for but expected that to go much higher also. (shrug)

These aren't exactly "investment grade" artists or examples, but I thought they were both pretty cool and a good pick-up for the buyers where they sold.

-Mazzucchelli DD 208 cover...for an artist with a very limited amount of artwork in the open market I would have thought this cover would be into five figures, instead of closing at $6.7K. DD is really where Mazz first made a name for himself so I thought this would have gone higher

I was the underbidder on this cover. Without my bid, I suspect it might have gone for the reserve @ $6K. I only bid on it because it was one of my favorite issues from my first 12 months of collecting comics. It's a nice cover, but it's not all Mazz (inked by Wiacek), and I just don't think there's as much appreciation for his pre-Born Again DD work. It would have been a cool piece of nostalgia for me, but I don't see a big re-sale market for this cover (it was a memorable issue for me, but not too many people look back fondly on that period of DD history), so I didn't want to go overboard with bidding. Not to mention that it was on a dealer site (Burkey?) not that long ago, so it wasn't the freshest to market for those that care about that sort of thing.

I wound up with two covers from a series I loved in the late 80's and 90's.

Total cost was less than $200 each. lol Strange hobby sometimes.

-Mazzucchelli DD 208 cover...for an artist with a very limited amount of artwork in the open market I would have thought this cover would be into five figures, instead of closing at $6.7K. DD is really where Mazz first made a name for himself so I thought this would have gone higher

I was the underbidder on this cover. Without my bid, I suspect it might have gone for the reserve @ $6K. I only bid on it because it was one of my favorite issues from my first 12 months of collecting comics. It's a nice cover, but it's not all Mazz (inked by Wiacek), and I just don't think there's as much appreciation for his pre-Born Again DD work. It would have been a cool piece of nostalgia for me, but I don't see a big re-sale market for this cover (it was a memorable issue for me, but not too many people look back fondly on that period of DD history), so I didn't want to go overboard with bidding. Not to mention that it was on a dealer site (Burkey?) not that long ago, so it wasn't the freshest to market for those that care about that sort of thing.

I felt exactly the same way. Loved this issue, but felt the money was better spent elsewhere. Burkey had it posted at $9k.

I didn't want to go away empty-handed after missing out on the Bissette & Totleben Swampy DPS, and so ended up pursuing and winning the Wrightson "melting face" painting:

WrightsonFaceMelt.jpg

I note that ComicLink describes the painting as a "movie production" painting. If anyone has any thoughts or insights on which movie it might be associated with, I'd love to hear them. And if anyone has a working email for Bernie himself, where I might ask him about the piece, that would be great too (although I guess I could bring it along to a con appearance he makes and ask him in person).

Thanks in advance.

I think it's refreshing to see a lot of new people on these boards. Looks like there are a lot of new collectors or at least more OA buyers coming forward beyond the standard cast of characters that usually post.

Congrats to all of the winners!

How about that Demon Annual #2 (1st Hitman)? Considering that the cover to Hitman #1 went for 13k at Heritage, 3.6k seems like an amazing deal. Until you compare the two images and see how much better that Hitman #1 looks! Historical significance is good, but the real money seems to go for the pretty-looking pages.

How about that Demon Annual #2 (1st Hitman)? Considering that the cover to Hitman #1 went for 13k at Heritage, 3.6k seems like an amazing deal. Until you compare the two images and see how much better that Hitman #1 looks! Historical significance is good, but the real money seems to go for the pretty-looking pages.

Historical significance never drove artwork prices much, unless that significance drives nostalgia.

And the Hitman #1 cover had Batman!

Malvin

-Romita Jr DD Man Without Fear #5 cover - I really enjoyed this mini-series by Miller/Romita Jr/Williamson and was offered a few covers prevously, but the price was always above $10K. Safe to assume someone took a bath on this one?

I was the underbidder on that cover. I think it didn't help that the cover initially had a high reserve (12K? 15K) I only noticed towards the auction start that the reserve was removed/lowered.

I thought the #5 cover was the weakest among the 5 so I didn't bid to win

Malvin