• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice book. The cover has great color and gloss. That being said, the bottom right corner on the B&B 28 has too many issues to be a 7.5 or even 7.0 IMHO.

As a reference, here is an 8.0 SA DC I won in December on Clink that I view as being more accurately graded (note - there is a scratch in the "Detective" logo on the slab, not a printing crease/wrinkle).

cgcDetective%20Comics%20359C_zps4ryebsyg.jpg

cgcDetective%20Comics%20359Cbc_zpsr2lzn3c6.jpg

Realistically it either comes down to trusting CGCs grading standards and buying books with the eye appeal you want in grades you can afford, or not. :shrug:

What people are disagreeing with is the variation in CGC's grading standards.

Exactly. If you have been submitting since the beginning you notice the swing from strict to loose and back. The key is timing your buying to strict grading and your own submissions to looser grading. lol

Realistically it either comes down to trusting CGCs grading standards and buying books with the eye appeal you want in grades you can afford, or not. :shrug:

Exactly. If you have been submitting since the beginning you notice the swing from strict to loose and back. The key is timing your buying to strict grading and your own submissions to looser grading. lol

I think assuming your grading has been consistent and theirs has not is just as much as a leap in judgement as the reverse.

:baiting:

:foryou:

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice book. The cover has great color and gloss. That being said, the bottom right corner on the B&B 28 has too many issues to be a 7.5 or even 7.0 IMHO.

As a reference, here is an 8.0 SA DC I won in December on Clink that I view as being more accurately graded (note - there is a scratch in the "Detective" logo on the slab, not a printing crease/wrinkle).

cgcDetective%20Comics%20359C_zps4ryebsyg.jpg

cgcDetective%20Comics%20359Cbc_zpsr2lzn3c6.jpg

Not to revisit my earlier point too much, but in this case you picked a book that you own and you feel based on your interpretation and personal views fits a certain grading standard. This includes bias towards flaws that you personally degrade for harder than others (implicitly or not). Given that the grade is about the book as a whole, not just what we can see on the covers and not based on "eye appeal," your reasoning isn't objective.

All viewpoints currently are based on limited data (i.e. no one is holding both raw books in front of them and has a detailed description of CGC's grading standards to match).

Of course you are entitled to your viewpoint, but your arbitrary comparison of a different book in a different grade isn't strong evidence to say the book is over or under graded.

Edited by rfoiii

I think assuming your grading has been consistent and theirs has not is just as much as a leap in judgement as the reverse.

I'd disagree with that.

I'd disagree with that.

Just as I am sure they would disagree with you.

:shrug:

I'd disagree with that.

I have proof.

I'd disagree with that.

I have proof.

Ok, provide it. Please.

Edited by rfoiii

Speaking of 8.0's, this just popped onto Heritage's February 18-20 Signature Auction Preview:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-savannah-pedigree-dc-1960-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pagesandlt-/p/7124-152001.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515#

Such a pretty book, and a pedigree no less :luhv:

Seriously regarding the 7.5. Is it possible that could be a 25K+ book by the time the auction rolls around? In Dec. 2014 it hit 20K as an OW-W with only 3 recorded sales on the GPA. In 2015 there was only one recorded sale for a CR-OW around the same amt.

The 7.5 OW looks purty, but I don't dig the writing (some folks don't mind).

Boba: we're upgrading your custom tilte from TOTAL NEWBIE to PEDIGREE HUNTER. :)

P.S.-this thread REALLY needs some mo love.

Seriously regarding the 7.5. Is it possible that could be a 25K+ book by the time the auction rolls around? In Dec. 2014 it hit 20K as an OW-W with only 3 recorded sales on the GPA. In 2015 there was only one recorded sale for a CR-OW around the same amt.

The 7.5 OW looks purty, but I don't dig the writing (some folks don't mind).

Boba: we're upgrading your custom tilte from TOTAL NEWBIE to PEDIGREE HUNTER. :)

P.S.-this thread REALLY needs some mo love.

I think it is a $20k+ book for sure, would love to see it for $25K+ but that might be a stretch (unfortunately) due to the writing.

Honestly, this book still has upside in 7.0+ due to upcoming movies and scarcity in high grade.

Edited by rfoiii

Speaking of 8.0's, this just popped onto Heritage's February 18-20 Signature Auction Preview:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-savannah-pedigree-dc-1960-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pagesandlt-/p/7124-152001.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515#

It is a tough call between the 7.5 with the writing and this one with its top edge...

hm

Personally I am not a fan of pedigrees because they can cost more. :screwy:

I hope it sells well though! HA has all the BB28s in high grade these days it seems!

I look at it this way - with a pedigree you can at least count on the fact it was prized as a collectible by the owner for a considerable portion of its existence. You can't say that about all books that have wound up slabbed. I also like that CGC has created this unique designation of pedigree comics (and NGC with coins to some degree as well).

Nice book. Really early for a Savanah copy.