• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

The price difference between CGC vs. CBCS makes buying tightly graded CBCS books to resubmit to CGC a decent opportunity right now. hm

hmhm

just make sure you read the free graders notes from CBCS as they do things a little differently than CGC.

I was looking at a CBCS 7.0 FF1 on the last comiclink focused auction and was thinking of doing just that. Bidding went beyond the sweet spot where i felt i couldn't be hurt by winning so I was pretty sure i was going to pass. I also checked the graders notes and saw the top staple was detached from cover and was very glad i didn't bid. CGC qualified grade on a resub? IDK but glad i didn't mess around.

If the staple is still attached but paper is popped on one side a 7.0 on an otherwise nice book is a common grade on that defect.

The price difference between CGC vs. CBCS makes buying tightly graded CBCS books to resubmit to CGC a decent opportunity right now. hm

hmhm

The price difference reflects the expectation of a lower grade for a resubbed book from CBCS to CGC :whistle:

2c I have yet to confirm this myself - just repeating sentiment from other boardies. 2c

They seemed to be a bit below GPA on the CGC slabs, and well below on the other grading company's 4.5 that looks like a 3.5........

It's become evident that loose grading has led to significant discounts on their books. I know I refrain from buying them unless they are offered well below GPA prices.

I know some one who deslabbed a whole bunch of books from one and had them reslabbed by the other, and had the complete opposite outcome.

It would be nice to have the details because my impression is the general experience has been the opposite.

I don't follow sales of SA keys systematically enough to say this definitively, but it sure appears that the CBCS graded books sell at a discount to CGC graded books. At some point, maybe GPA will begin following CBCS graded books and we can do a more complete analysis.

I know someone who had a CGC TTA 35 9.2. It was then pressed and submitted to CBCS.

Came back same exact grade.

Haha What a big waste of time and money that was...I could never do that with a book that expensive.

hmhm

The price difference reflects the expectation of a lower grade for a resubbed book from CBCS to CGC :whistle:

2c I have yet to confirm this myself - just repeating sentiment from other boardies. 2c

This seems to be true. I would add though I bought a cbcs 6.0 x-men 4 that I think is every bit as nice as any cgc 6.0 I have purchased. So they can competently grade and I personally do have some confidence in their primary grader. Still it does seem CGC has benn grading tighter than them as of late.

I think it's a win for the collector/ investor/ flipper. CGC having some legit competition forces them to make sure their product is the best on the market while the other company presents an opportunity to attain books at better prices. The flip game is a tricky one here as these companies grade a little differently. I am looking for opportunities but also exercising patience.

hmhm

This seems to be true. I would add though I bought a cbcs 6.0 x-men 4 that I think is every bit as nice as any cgc 6.0 I have purchased. So they can competently grade and I personally do have some confidence in their primary grader. Still it does seem CGC has been grading tighter than them as of late.

I think it's a win for the collector/ investor/ flipper. CGC having some legit competition forces them to make sure their product is the best on the market while the other company presents an opportunity to attain books at better prices. The flip game is a tricky one here as these companies grade a little differently. I am looking for opportunities but also exercising patience.

Flipping is all about how much you paid for it.

hmhm

This seems to be true. I would add though I bought a cbcs 6.0 x-men 4 that I think is every bit as nice as any cgc 6.0 I have purchased. So they can competently grade and I personally do have some confidence in their primary grader. Still it does seem CGC has been grading tighter than them as of late.

Flipping is all about how much you paid for it.

(thumbs u

...oh and supply/demand :baiting:

Looks like the latest CGC 5.5 sale on the Boards has eclipsed the last 6.0 sale on GPA:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9254295&gonew=1#UNREAD

But oddly came in just a little under the last 5.5 sale on GPA.

The latest B&B #28 CGC 5.5 sale that I am seeing on GPA is $5,497 (shrug)

That was much lower than the previous two copies at $7K+

Edited by kimik

Looks like the latest CGC 5.5 sale on the Boards has eclipsed the last 6.0 sale on GPA:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9254295&gonew=1#UNREAD

But oddly came in just a little under the last 5.5 sale on GPA.

The latest B&B #28 CGC 5.5 sale that I am seeing on GPA is $5,497 (shrug)

That was much lower than the previous two copies at $7K+

Sorry I stand corrected. It's the 90 day average that was above for 5.5, not the last sale.

Very nice! If a movie with polarizing reviews can't derail price gains, can you imagine what will happen if the Justice League movie actually cracks 50% on Rotten Tomatoes? lol