• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

The price difference between CGC vs. CBCS makes buying tightly graded CBCS books to resubmit to CGC a decent opportunity right now. hm

hmhm

The price difference reflects the expectation of a lower grade for a resubbed book from CBCS to CGC :whistle:

2c I have yet to confirm this myself - just repeating sentiment from other boardies. 2c

This seems to be true. I would add though I bought a cbcs 6.0 x-men 4 that I think is every bit as nice as any cgc 6.0 I have purchased. So they can competently grade and I personally do have some confidence in their primary grader. Still it does seem CGC has been grading tighter than them as of late.

I think it's a win for the collector/ investor/ flipper. CGC having some legit competition forces them to make sure their product is the best on the market while the other company presents an opportunity to attain books at better prices. The flip game is a tricky one here as these companies grade a little differently. I am looking for opportunities but also exercising patience.

Flipping is all about how much you paid for it.

Right but I think some flippers will try to purchase CBCS books at a price significantly lower price point than the grade would attain if it was a CGC graded book, crack it open send to CGC and get it back and find CGC graded it .5 to 1 point lower thus destroying and profit margin they were hoping to gain by re-certifying with the premiere brand. Obviously a swing the other way could be a huge win for the flipper.

Maybe that wouldn't be a true flip in one sense but I think some will be tempted to invest the extra time and expense on higher dollar books hoping to come out significantly ahead.

This book isn't getting any cheaper, too bad people who want one didn't get one even a year or so ago they be in good shape

I can remember worrying back in 2009 that I had overpaid for this copy on Heritage. lol

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-pages/a/110031-11097.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

This book isn't getting any cheaper, too bad people who want one didn't get one even a year or so ago they be in good shape

I can remember worrying back in 2009 that I had overpaid for this copy on Heritage. lol

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-pages/a/110031-11097.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

:whee:

big worry this weekend is if Superman/Batman crashes hard in week 2 (this weekend) and in the end tops out at 600-750MM worldwide, will the JLA movie be in jeopardy?

probably not as WB has a lot riding on their comics franchises, but there won't be a lot of ecstatic execs on the lot come Monday .

big worry this weekend is if Superman/Batman crashes hard in week 2 (this weekend) and in the end tops out at 600-750MM worldwide, will the JLA movie be in jeopardy?

probably not as WB has a lot riding on their comics franchises, but there won't be a lot of ecstatic execs on the lot come Monday .

That's because they will all be canned..........and justifiably so.

The one positive could be that Zack Snyder is replaced for the JLA movies.

That's because they will all be canned..........and justifiably so.

The one positive could be that Zack Snyder is replaced for the JLA movies.

It is a silly world we live in when a movie has to top $750MM to be called a "success."

There are people in that industry being paid entirely too much to do their jobs...

Well maybe. Or ーー to make one of these huge effects filled films just adds up to a boatload of money. Some crew and actors are hugely paid, but sit through the credits and add up the names.

Grossing 700 million gets the studio only 350M. When 2.5 hours of intensely dense special effects work in nearly every scene, plus couple hundred mill in marketing, and you break even.

But maybe they can make it up in volume!

Edited by aman619

Well maybe. Or ーー to make one of these huge effects filled films just adds up to a boatload of money. Some crew and actors are hugely paid, but sit through the credits and add up the names.

Grossing 700 million gets the studio only 350M. When 2.5 hours of intensely dense special effects work in nearly every scene, plus couple hundred mill in marketing, and you break even.

But maybe they can make it up in volume!

This film was likely close to/at break even before opening night due to the advertising/product placement in the movie. For big movies like Avengers or Justice League the studios will take in a couple of hundred million in advertising/product placement. If MOS apparently took in over $160M from product placement (http://brandsandfilms.com/2013/11/product-placement-in-pictures-man-of-steel/) then this movie should have done more than that.

If any director needs to be fired it's Michael Bay, not Zack Snyder. This movie is Man of Steel 2. Calling it Batman V Superman is just marketing. The movie isn't as bad as a lot of people making it out to be, This isn't the next Fantastic Four movie from Fox. All this movie does is set up The JLA movies and the JLA movies are spread out over 2 films rather than cramming everything under the sun in one movie which BvS fell victim too..At the end of the day BvS is worth it just to see Wonder Woman, which she recieved a lot of doubt here before we got to see her in action. Never judge a book by it's cover.

The opposite is true as well. I won an old label Avengers #4 a year or so ago signed by Stan Lee during the dark days of pre-SS. It was a 4.5 that looked way better (I had other board members view it as high as a 7.0 that was nailed for the Stan Lee signature). I sent it to CBCS and received a 6.5 authenticated Stan Lee signature and made a very tidy profit. This is the one area that can work in your favor with CBCS - taking non-SS CGC books and getting the authenticated signature + a grade bump where possible.

Even at a measly $750 million, they've tripled their investment. If they're crying tears, it's tears of money. Money tears.

No. Movie math doesn't work like that. WB gets film rental, usually 50% of the box office. Theatres keep the rest. And don't forget the marketing budget, ads billboards commercials, travel expenses, parties, etc etc. the expenses all add to the cost of the film when calculating profit.

Even at a measly $750 million, they've tripled their investment. If they're crying tears, it's tears of money. Money tears.

No. Movie math doesn't work like that. WB gets film rental, usually 50% of the box office. Theaters keep the rest. And don't forget the marketing budget, ads billboards commercials, travel expenses, parties, etc etc. the expenses all add to the cost of the film when calculating profit.

The first 2 weekends of a film opening the theaters get pretty much nothing, (Which is why a bag of popcorn is $25) as the movie stays in the theater longer, the theater gets to keep more and more of the revenue. Movie studios also get a big chunk of the DVD/Blu-Ray sales, TV revenue, merchandise revenue and licenses ect... Even if a movie "flops" they can usually always make back their investment, media likes to make it seem like the studio loses out on all kinds of money if a film doesn't do well at the box office over the weekend, hence "81% Drop off Friday to Friday For BvS - Largest in the History Ever - Will JLA Get Made?? Click Here To Find Out!!! That's all headline click bait garbage. BvS will be fine.

I read somewhere between the budget for the film and advertising, they needed to make 750 to break even.

That means they spent a ton on advertising as the production budget was a reported $250 million. The production budget was likely already covered by product placement in the film (MOS received $160 million for that) so the studio will primarily be on the hook for the post production activities.

I read somewhere between the budget for the film and advertising, they needed to make 750 to break even.

That means they spent a ton on advertising as the production budget was a reported $250 million. The production budget was likely already covered by product placement in the film (MOS received $160 million for that) so the studio will primarily be on the hook for the post production activities.

I guess it's possible that the ad budget was that high. I remember them running trailers for almost a full year before release.

Nice sale!

I hope we see slow and stead increases in all grades over the next couple of years as the movies come out and the DCU expands. Slow and steady wins the race. lol

I just sold my cover-detached beater for $1550. I'd say the market is pretty strong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BRAVE-AND-THE-BOLD-28-First-Appearance-Justice-League-of-America-JLA-DC-1960-/381584821504?rd=1

WOW - that's what the last 1.5-1.8 CGC'd copies went for... (thumbs u

I especially liked the guy who tried to convince you to sell to him outside ebay as he could scrape together $500 from his family!! :insane: