• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

They seemed to be a bit below GPA on the CGC slabs, and well below on the other grading company's 4.5 that looks like a 3.5........

It's become evident that loose grading has led to significant discounts on their books. I know I refrain from buying them unless they are offered well below GPA prices.

+1

The discount is real and it's widening. Regardless of how CGC copies performed in grade relative to GPA highs, Voldemort slabs performed significantly worse.

-J.

I bid 20% more than highest cgc sale for a particular book in a cbcs holder and got crushed :cry:

Interesting. Which book? hm

They seemed to be a bit below GPA on the CGC slabs, and well below on the other grading company's 4.5 that looks like a 3.5........

It's become evident that loose grading has led to significant discounts on their books. I know I refrain from buying them unless they are offered well below GPA prices.

I know some one who deslabbed a whole bunch of books from one and had them reslabbed by the other, and had the complete opposite outcome.

I know some one who deslabbed a whole bunch of books from one and had them reslabbed by the other, and had the complete opposite outcome.

It would be nice to have the details because my impression is the general experience has been the opposite.

I don't follow sales of SA keys systematically enough to say this definitively, but it sure appears that the CBCS graded books sell at a discount to CGC graded books. At some point, maybe GPA will begin following CBCS graded books and we can do a more complete analysis.

Edited by Sqeggs

Were they new or older CGC graded books? There have been some fugly CGC graded books the past couple of years as well that I could see CBCS hammering.

That being said, the two CBCS books I bought due to their discount to GPA would not grade as high with CGC.

Edited by kimik

At some point, maybe GPA will begin following CBCS graded books and we can do a more complete analysis.

GoCollect.com follows both.

It would be nice to have the details because my impression is the general experience has been the opposite.

Were they new or older CGC graded books? There have been some fugly CGC graded books the past couple of years as well that I could see CBCS hammering.

Yes, I definitely remember how everybody here on the boards about 6 months ago was complaining how loose the CGC grades were. I know some collectors who had purchased 9.X CGC graded books and thought they were an absolute joke. All of a sudden within the past several months, the grading seems to have tightened up to the point of almost undergrading, relatively speaking.

Make you wonder if CGC is just going through their traditional cycle of loose grading followed by tight grading, which is then followed by loose grading again, almost in a never-ending cycle? This is definitely something which we have already seen many times before and CGC is just in one of their tightening periods right now.

Or is it something more sinister which I had already alluded to quite a few months ago, namely, a grading war instituted to try to undermine the value of the other company's label and pull back all of the customers who may have gone over there to give them a try. Rationale of course is that the more established company and the one with deeper pockets will be able to outlast the new kids on the block and squeezed them out of the business. hm

Yes, I definitely remember how everybody here on the boards about 6 months ago was complaining how loose the CGC grades were. I know some collectors who had purchased 9.X CGC graded books and thought they were an absolute joke. All of a sudden within the past several months, the grading seems to have tightened up to the point of almost undergrading, relatively speaking.

Make you wonder if CGC is just going through their traditional cycle of loose grading followed by tight grading, which is then followed by loose grading again, almost in a never-ending cycle? This is definitely something which we have already seen many times before and CGC is just in one of their tightening periods right now.

Or is it something more sinister which I had already alluded to quite a few months ago, namely, a grading war instituted to try to undermine the value of the other company's label and pull back all of the customers who may have gone over there to give them a try. Rationale of course is that the more established company and the one with deeper pockets will be able to outlast the new kids on the block and squeezed them out of the business. hm

My observation over the past three years has been that grading is loose from May through October due to convention season and then it tightens up from November through March/April. Assuming that the on-site submissions at shows results in a big seasonal volume increase, this makes sense as they will be rushing to push the books through as close to as on time as possible. I have also noticed that you end up with more plastic or other chips/tiny pieces in between the inner holder and outer slab during this time as well.

I doubt that they are doing this on purpose re: CBCS. It is likely due more to the volume of books they have to go through than anything.

My observation over the past three years has been that grading is loose from May through October due to convention season and then it tightens up from November through March/April. Assuming that the on-site submissions at shows results in a big seasonal volume increase, this makes sense as they will be rushing to push the books through as close to as on time as possible. I have also noticed that you end up with more plastic or other chips/tiny pieces in between the inner holder and outer slab during this time as well.

I doubt that they are doing this on purpose re: CBCS. It is likely due more to the volume of books they have to go through than anything.

No offense, but do either of you have any physical proof of any of this or just anecdotal personal testimony?

I am not trying to be confrontational, but without physical data showing there to be changes in grading (i.e. Getting the same book graded multiple times to record differences, etc), this could be viewed as pretty damaging speculation. I can understand half a grade changes, but the implication here appears to be much larger discrepancies...

There have been plenty of presented examples where CGC has been compared with the same book to the other two companies showing them to be looser graders on average (one far worse than the other), but I haven't seen any empirical evidence to support any of these CGC exclusive claims...

Can you please produce proof with your assertions?

:foryou:

Edited by rfoiii

I don't follow sales of SA keys systematically enough to say this definitively, but it sure appears that the CBCS graded books sell at a discount to CGC graded books. At some point, maybe GPA will begin following CBCS graded books and we can do a more complete analysis.

I know someone who had a CGC TTA 35 9.2. It was then pressed and submitted to CBCS.

Came back same exact grade.

Someone buying a book with bright colors not paying attention to PQ...?

:shrug:

Clutch the pearls ! :ohnoez:

-J.

I am surprised that book hit a 4.0 with the slightly brittle pages. Looking at the creasing on the cover, the tears at the top and bottom of the spine, and subscription crease, I would have expected CGC to nail it further due to the pages. It does have nice color, though.

Edited by kimik

I know someone who had a CGC TTA 35 9.2. It was then pressed and submitted to CBCS.

Came back same exact grade.

There's variance in grading, but I think if you talk to most dealers (other than Metro! :D ), they'll tell you they get less for CBCS graded books than for CGC books with the same grades.

I agree that value is a bit softer on the CBCS side.

I'll tell you why it is for me...

I'm a collector and I like uniformity. I don't want my comic run to have a mix of CGC and CBCS so I don't bid on CBCS books.

I agree that value is a bit softer on the CBCS side.

I'll tell you why it is for me...

I'm a collector and I like uniformity. I don't want my comic run to have a mix of CGC and CBCS so I don't bid on CBCS books.

Good point on the uniformity. I have the same struggle at times adding a CBCS book, but I've become more accepting having a CBCS slab in my collection as I see that the grading is generally on par with CGC. Also agree that market perception has not embraced CBCS at CGC levels, but it takes time to build a reputation.

Bottom line, it's good for the hobby (and frankly good for CGC) to have at least two (some will argue three) reputable grading firms.