• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

:D

7.5 on the HA

Anybody making any bets?

Nice color on the book, but that bottom right corner will likely keep the prices tame.

How it scored a 7.5 with a small color breaking crease in the top right corner and three longer ones across the bottom right does not make sense to me, but if I can get that grading team on all of my submissions I will gladly take them! :takeit:lol

I am not looking for an upgrade right now, unfortunately, but it looks like there could be another 6.0 going for a good price on eBay today. If anyone here is looking for a 6.0 they might get a deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141867372336?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by kimik

True enough, but at least it was a much nicer looking copy otherwise than the fugly 6.0 that sold last December. The final price for this copy was fairly strong IMHO seeing as it had the stamp and was sold on eBay during a traditionally weaker time for prices on keys. Hopefully 6.0s hit $10K later this year post BvS movie hype and that floats all lower boars as well. I would love to move my 4.5 or 5.0 in the $6-$7K range at the current exchange rates for $CDN vs $USD. lol

7.5 on the HA

Anybody making any bets?

Nice color on the book, but that bottom right corner will likely keep the prices tame.

How it scored a 7.5 with a small color breaking crease in the top right corner and three longer ones across the bottom right does not make sense to me, but if I can get that grading team on all of my submissions I will gladly take them! :takeit:lol

It's a 7.5 because of those defects, but no one ever thinks of that! It's always "How can it be a 7.0 if it has this? How can it be a 9.0 with this? CGC doesn't grade based on eye appeal alone...as much as you all want them to.

7.5 on the HA

Anybody making any bets?

It's a 7.5 because of those defects, but no one ever thinks of that! It's always "How can it be a 7.0 if it has this? How can it be a 9.0 with this? CGC doesn't grade based on eye appeal alone...as much as you all want them to.

There was a time not that long ago where CGC would not have given this book a 7.5. It would have been a 6.5 at best. This is not the only instance - over the past year or so it has become apparent that as long as the creases are pressed nice and flat they are acceptable. I have noticed that with my own submissions this past year as well. With time the pendulum will swing the other way again, I guess, but until then it is definitely a case of buy the book and not the label.

Aren't you folks being a bit harsh on that 7.5? Agree or disagree with the grading, but don't hate the comic....hate the grader lol.

Every single copy of BB28 should be exalted...whether it's the copy someone just cleaned up that spill in the kitchen with....or the pristine copy under glass. :)

Aren't you folks being a bit harsh on that 7.5? Agree or disagree with the grading, but don't hate the comic....hate the grader lol.

Every single copy of BB28 should be exalted...whether it's the copy someone just cleaned up that spill in the kitchen with....or the pristine copy under glass. :)

True, and it usually is when someone posts one (shrug)

Maybe it's a strategy to discourage other bidders ;)

Yeah I've noticed that people have been liking to poop on some pretty amazing books around here lately.

-J.

I agree, I was part of the disparaging on the 9.4 AF 15.

My only thoughts would be that being critical on NMish books should be expected, but mid-grade should suffer less scrutiny given the range of defects that can be included.

:shrug:

Looks like a 7.0-7.5 to me.

:hi:

Yeah I've noticed that people have been liking to poop on some pretty amazing books around here lately.

-J.

My only thoughts would be that being critical on NMish books should be expected, but mid-grade should suffer less scrutiny given the range of defects that can be included.

Looks like a VG+ to me :ohnoez:

-J.

The real problem is that nobody can examine the copy in hand and out of the slab to determine the true grade. We can infer "this or that" from photographs or scans that may even be altered in some way to enhance the image (ie-contrast, tint, brightness), but nothing replaces the tactile and personal inspection that's required to assign a proper grade.

-J.

The real problem is that nobody can examine the copy in hand and out of the slab to determine the true grade. We can infer "this or that" from photographs or scans that may even be altered in some way to enhance the image (ie-contrast, tint, brightness), but nothing replaces the tactile and personal inspection that's required to assign a proper grade.

Yep. Best you could do is look at the slab in person if you were to travel.

Realistically it either comes down to trusting CGCs grading standards and buying books with the eye appeal you want in grades you can afford, or not. :shrug:

Back to my point, mid-grade and lower books allow for a variety of flaws and people tend to focus on the ones they personally don't like.

Seems like a solid copy to me, I have seen better in this grade and seen worse - which of course is a statement within my own personal collecting preferences.

I would still like this to go for a strong price, the book needs more consistent performance in upper mid/high grades and its time is now.

Realistically it either comes down to trusting CGCs grading standards and buying books with the eye appeal you want in grades you can afford, or not. :shrug:

What people are disagreeing with is the variation in CGC's grading standards.

What people are disagreeing with is the variation in CGC's grading standards.

Or their perception of it...

Twelve books, all 7.5's can look very different. People focus on the ones they see best fit the criteria they have in their heads for qualifying a grade and make judgements that some are over/under graded or spot-on. To the previous point, without having the raw book in hand you honestly cannot be completely 100% objective. Even with the grader's notes, there are levels of interpretation.

Maybe CGC's grading standards are constantly changing, maybe people are just perceiving they are changing, maybe it's both. I am sure there is always a level of scrutiny from grader to grader, but there is not way to truly quantify or qualify that.

All I know is it is in CGC's best interest to be as consistent as possible - their business is at risk otherwise. While an individual making an outside judgement (unless buying the comic), has no true stake and because of that separation, will act subjectively.