• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

I got this in an email...don't know if it includes Kenny...would love to hear from him.

As you’ll be hearing in the coming days, CGC has bought Classics Incorporated, and my staff and I will be moving to Sarasota, Florida to continue our services there on February 1st, 2013. This is a very exciting development for not just us, but for our clients and the collecting community at large. The chance to offer pressing and CGC grading under one roof will streamline the submission process and open the door for new ideas for our customers. Classics Incorporated will still be taking in submissions as normal here in Dallas during the next two months.

I will be parting ways with my partner Stephen Ritter at Worldwide Comics. Stephen is an incredibly knowledgeable dealer who understands the market implicitly, and he will continue Worldwide’s success for years to come. It’s been a pleasure working with him these past 5 years. I couldn’t have envisioned a better partnership with anyone else in th is business. Stephen got married to his wonderful girl Sharon this past Saturday, and he is just about settled into his new digs in San Antonio, so his life will now be a bit calmer. We will immediately resume work on the pedigree book (which is long, long overdue), a passion project we can’t wait to deliver to the hobby soon.

It’s been an exciting decade for me here in Dallas, developing innovations in pressing, restoration, and other areas of collecting. We will continue to develop new ideas for the company in the coming years as we always have, so expect many exciting things in the future.

See everyone soon,

Matt Nelson

President, Classics Incorporated

1440 Halsey Way, Suite #114

Carrollton, TX 75007

www.classicsincorporated.com

at what price point does the snake swallowing his tail stop people from bothering to submit a book? if a $X OPSG in 9.2 book can't command $X in CGC 9.4 what is the point of spending $50 to grade and press the book and have it sit in Sarasota for 6 months?
That's exactly my point. There will be a tipping point. :popcorn:

One advantage to those that don't care about pressing is going to be the huge increase in high grade books as the census numbers explode due to the integrated, institutionalized pressing "ringer" comic books will now be put through. Should definitely bring prices down moving forward. (thumbs u

It sounds like your alluding that there will be a buyers market in the future?

Future? The future is now...keep your eye on the Heritage, Comicconnect, and Clink auctions ending this month. There's been an incessant stream of killer, HG books hitting the market this year and the hobby's capacity to absorb them all is being severely tested. On top of those, SparkleCity has another great round of auctions coming up this weekend so I think by mid-December when the dust settles, we'll see where the hobby currently stands.

By this time next year after the Sarasota machine has been cranking away for half a year...well, it will be interesting to see what the future holds! :eek:

One advantage to those that don't care about pressing is going to be the huge increase in high grade books as the census numbers explode due to the integrated, institutionalized pressing "ringer" comic books will now be put through. Should definitely bring prices down moving forward. (thumbs u

It sounds like your alluding that there will be a buyers market in the future?

Future? The future is now...keep your eye on the Heritage, Comicconnect, and Clink auctions ending this month. There's been an incessant stream of killer, HG books hitting the market this year and the hobby's capacity to absorb them all is being severely tested. On top of those, SparkleCity has another great round of auctions coming up this weekend so I think by mid-December when the dust settles, we'll see where the hobby currently stands.

By this time next year after the Sarasota machine has been cranking away for half a year...well, it will be interesting to see what the future holds! :eek:

Here's what Nostradamus tells me: the best books in the hobby will rise once again. Everybody else can duck and cover. :ohnoez:

Sorry...I'm three glasses in over here. :insane:

It makes sense to capture the money from pressing books, as so many of those submitted come via pressing services.

Doing so does not have to involve duplicity.

In fact for a company whose continued existence is built upon their integrity it would be economic suicide to offer automatic grade bumps for those who use their pressing service.

So it is in their best interest to maintian their integrity. The same company could press books and grade them objectively if they institute some type of internal firewall between departments.

I think this is just common sense commerce not some grand conspiracy to undermine their own business for $8 a pop.

Their integrity doesn't matter at all. It's their perceived integrity that they need to protect zealously.

:news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news:

This just in. CGC has announced the hiring of former board member bhhooks22.

In the next few weeks he will be moving to Sarasota to be in charge of making waffles every morning for the entire CGC staff.

That is all.

:news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news:

Here's what Nostradamus tells me: the best books in the hobby will rise once again. Everybody else can duck and cover. :ohnoez:

Sorry...I'm three glasses in over here. :insane:

True...the blue chippers will remain in demand, with the exception of yesterday's blue chippers which become today's penny-stocks as their population figures grow and prices decline.

It makes sense to capture the money from pressing books, as so many of those submitted come via pressing services.

In fact for a company whose continued existence is built upon their integrity it would be economic suicide to offer automatic grade bumps for those who use their pressing service.

So it is in their best interest to maintain their integrity. The same company could press books and grade them objectively if they institute some type of internal firewall between departments.

I think this is just common sense commerce not some grand conspiracy to undermine their own business for $8 a pop.

I agree that there should be a firewall...would be more acceptable if they were actually in a different building, but same building, and access to same systems. It's a take it or leave it--I suspect it may create some great dissent for those who wanted CGC for objectivity, but is now tainted because of in house upsells.

Speaking of the upsells...

BTW, why don't they offer decapsulation services that includes a discount if that book needs to be certified again? that's another easy no brainer.

Stick a fork in bronze.

Stick a fork in Wonder Woman comics. :baiting:

lol Touche.

:gossip:

yeah ga Wonder Woman comic books will make a comeback

just in time for her to celebrate her 100 anniversary in the year 2041.

:baiting:

;)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Stick a fork in bronze.

lol Touche.

;)

comeback is now...greggy and shrunkenhead is the market. :gossip:

Stick a fork in bronze.

Really It's going to be virtually everything post 1966, and basically every Marvel post FF 1....but all of that was happening already I guess. This will just speed up the inevitable wind down of values.

and again I will postulate:

If collecting comics is about collecting and enjoying them, is a softening of prices a bad thing?

Stick a fork in bronze.

lol Touche.

;)

comeback is now...greggy and shrunkenhead is the market. :gossip:

Don't leave out Gator. :)

wow!! Congrats Matt! Hope you got some great comics in the deal!!

"As you’ll be hearing in the coming days, CGC has bought Classics Incorporated, and my staff and I will be moving to Sarasota, Florida to continue our services there on February 1st, 2013. This is a very exciting development for not just us, but for our clients and the collecting community at large. The chance to offer pressing and CGC grading under one roof will streamline the submission process and open the door for new ideas for our customers. Classics Incorporated will still be taking in submissions as normal here in Dallas during the next two months.

I will be parting ways with my partner Stephen Ritter at Worldwide Comics. Stephen is an incredibly knowledgeable dealer who understands the market implicitly, and he will continue Worldwide’s success for years to come. It’s been a pleasure working with him these past 5 years. I couldn’t have envisioned a better partnership with anyone else in th is business. Stephen got married to his wonderful girl Sharon this past Saturday, and he is just about settled into his new digs in San Antonio, so his life will now be a bit calmer. We will immediately resume work on the pedigree book (which is long, long overdue), a passion project we can’t wait to deliver to the hobby soon.

It’s been an exciting decade for me here in Dallas, developing innovations in pressing, restoration, and other areas of collecting. We will continue to develop new ideas for the company in the coming years as we always have, so expect many exciting things in the future.

See everyone soon,

Matt Nelson"

Edited by red rocks

So it is in their best interest to maintain their integrity. The same company could press books and grade them objectively if they institute some type of internal firewall between departments.

I agree that there should be a firewall...would be more acceptable if they were actually in a different building, but same building, and access to same systems. It's a take it or leave it--I suspect it may create some great dissent for those who wanted CGC for objectivity, but is now tainted because of in house upsells.

Speaking of the upsells...

BTW, why don't they offer decapsulation services that includes a discount if that book needs to be certified again? that's another easy no brainer.

If they could recycle the plastic it would.

As long as Matt isn't selling books, I could care less that CGC owns a pressing/resto company.

Until I see evidence that grades are impacted, like missed restoration or grades that are way off (more than what they've been in the past..), I'll reserve judgment on there being a conflict of interest.

I can't make the leap that internal pressing services = gift grades.

If that were the case, the argument could be made that any paid service above normal grading stood a good chance of gift grading. Pay for express grading...get a better grade. Have more books graded...get better grades. I just don't see that as being the case. (shrug)

Stick a fork in bronze.

Really It's going to be virtually everything post 1966, and basically every Marvel post FF 1....but all of that was happening already I guess. This will just speed up the inevitable wind down of values.

and again I will postulate:

If collecting comics is about collecting and enjoying them, is a softening of prices a bad thing?

Only if you sell. doh!

For those of you who weren't too keen on pressing up to this point, the hobby has just completely passed you by.