• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

or I wonder if we could now buy a bunch of Walking Dead #1 9.6`s and New Mutants #98 9.6`s, then send them off to CGC to get pressed as 9.8`s ? :applause:

CGC won't be pressing anything. It'll still be Matt's separate company.

The same way NGC won't conserve your coins. But their sister company NCS will.

lol they acquired his co, how is that separate?

CGC didn't acquire Matt's company. The umbrella company CCG did.

They're going to be 2 separate sister companies (again, like NGC and NCS).

so they're under the same corporate umbrella. again, how is this separate? it isn't.

I see a lot of people worrying or complaining about "conflict of interest". But is it, really?

Coin collectors apparently don't think so, as NGC and NCS have been under the same umbrella company from the very beginning.

sycophant in the house

I'm not sure how to react to you calling me that.

Hold on.

Ok, I just looked up what that means. I'm offended!

They're going to be 2 separate sister companies (again, like NGC and NCS).

so they're under the same corporate umbrella. again, how is this separate?

Well, let's see.

You know how CGC graders don't grade coins? And NGC graders don't grade comics?

Like that.

Will CGC now refuse to accept books from other pressing companies?

If so,is that an illegal restraint of trade?

Before announcing this,a set of answers to the obvious questions would have been helpful.

If PGX had a brain - they would sell to an independant person.PGX would then rename and be top dog in 6 months.

PGX is tarnished forever. Doesn't matter who owns it.

They are tarnished,forever maybe not,just under the current owners.

How long dose it take to train some one to press books?

So will they not now need to hire pressers (3 or 4) ?

buy machines ?

And get insurance for the books scewed up by aprentice pressers ?

nothing like the smell of a broiled comic book in the morning !

:)

This is the penultimate pressing thread.

Another floating doo doo in the CGC boards pool. :lol:

Have a few scotches, and laugh a little. They're just comics.

Brother!

(High fives mikenyc, pours another splash of Dewars)

buy machines ?

Somehow I don't think they're shouting at teenage kids with a megaphone saying:

"Hey you - yes YOU! would you like a new career? Come over here and squash this Amazing Fantasy #15 under this press thingy and see if it turns out ok"

I think things are a little more professional than letting "apprentice pressers" practice on your books. The people that press your books will be more than professional.

buy machines ?

Somehow I don't think they're shouting at teenage kids with a megaphone saying:

"Hey you - yes YOU! would you like a new career? Come over here and squash this Amazing Fantasy #15 under this press thingy and see if it turns out ok"

I think things are a little more professional than letting "apprentice pressers" practice on your books. The people that press your books will be more than professional.

I want CGC to hire this guy:

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the employees at CGC specifically dropped this bombshell on their way out the door on Friday, and they have a pool going on how many posts are in this thread as of a specific time on Monday morning.

They'll all pile in on Monday with cups of coffee to see which one of them wins.

Good job, everyone. You're being played.

Just wow. It doesn't even matter if you think Matt is nice and honorable, which I do. This is a cluster of a decision. To me, CGC sells trust. This erodes trust just like it did the first time the move was proposed.

If one company owns a company selling a service meant to increase a grade and a company which grades, that's a conflict of interest. A conflict of interest means less trust. If there were a way to know which books go through CI first, I would trust that grade less.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the employees at CGC specifically dropped this bombshell on their way out the door on Friday, and they have a pool going on how many posts are in this thread as of a specific time on Monday morning.

They'll all pile in on Monday with cups of coffee to see which one of them wins.

Good job, everyone. You're being played.

No pool, but I'm sure it was released late on a Friday for a reason.

For those of you who weren't too keen on pressing up to this point, the hobby has just completely passed you by.
lol

I nominate Andrew for head pot-stirrer.

I'm a man of simple pleasures.

I don't remember CGC saying that pressing was not resto, it just could not be detected, so it wasn't noted on the purple label. Asking other companies to disclose if a book being submitted was pressed? Those companies have no responsability to do so. But if CGC (or a CGC-owned entity) is providing that service & it is known, I would think it must be disclosed. If not on the purple label (highest level of disclosure), then at minimum in the graders notes (hidden from view, but available for a fee).

Would that put CGC at a possible disadvantage? Sure. The books they pressed would be disclosed as such, but if the book was pressed by Company X, it goes through undetected. It would give CGC a leg up in the integrity column, but there's not a whole lot of $ rolling in from being honest. I can't imagine that they would buy a service and then put books that went through it at a disadvantage within the hobby.

Looking for a silver lining, do you think that the census numbers will come back to reality? If books are given to Matt still in slabs, the old # could be removed (not sure if he currently submits labels with pressed books).