• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Con-Any Reports Yet?

150 posts in this topic

I did see Leonardo DiCaprio there on Wednesday night. He was checking out the restored CGC 9.4 Marvel Comics #1....

That guy must spend $500,000 a month out his "mad money" budget alone. If I had his money I'd pay to shut the con down for a few hours while I walk around with a shopping cart loading up the books.

I just got back from the Con today. I took Leo’s picture from the CGC booth on Wednesday. Worst picture ever, but it can be verified Scott Talmadge, CGC’s receiving manager. (I guess that makes it part of the signature series)

I also got a great shot of some booth babes posing with my brother and also a great picture of Neal Adams signing some stuff. I’ll post the pictures a little later.

Here are links to Mile High Chuck's con reports. Apparently he will be doing one every day. There are also pictures at the bottom of his reports.

Wednesday - July 21

Thursday - July 22

Oh yeah and Where's Greggy? leftcon.GIF

Someone needs to tell Chuck the difference between a tie fighter and a x wing:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/sandiego/sdcc2004/thursday/tiefighter.GIF

Here are links to Mile High Chuck's con reports. Apparently he will be doing one every day. There are also pictures at the bottom of his reports.

Wednesday - July 21

Thursday - July 22

Oh yeah and Where's Greggy? leftcon.GIF

Someone needs to tell Chuck the difference between a tie fighter and a x wing:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/sandiego/sdcc2004/thursday/tiefighter.GIF

NO BOOKS FOR YOU! ONE YEAR!

tonofbricks.gif

Sat in on the "How Many Comics Are There?" panel Friday at 4pm. Saw BassGMan in the audience...

Panel Members:

John Jackson Miller (CBG, Standard Catalog)

Jeff Vaughn (Overstreet)

Steve Borock (CGC)

Milton Griep (icv2)

Chuck Rozanski (Mile High)

Michelle Nolan

Basically, CGC has graded some 400,000 comics so far I think. Chuck's Thor #156 that graded a 10.0 from the Mile High II collection were culled from some 150 copies they had. They selected 6-7 and had those graded. Only one came back 10.0.

Some estimated print runs were bandied about. Postal regulations didn't require those distribution numbers be printed until 1959 which explains why that circulation info before 1960 is sketchy. Michelle Nolan also said that DC refused to divulge those numbers as proprietary information.

I think Miller said that between the Spider-man 1 and Spider-man 2 movies, they tracked some 130,000 eBay auctions related to comics. Some percentage of that was CGC books which came out to something like a $180 average.

That sounds like a very interesting panel. Any more details or was that the just of it?

Brian

That was just part of it.

They were tossing around some circulation figures for GA books and correlating that with the number in the CGC census.

I think they were talking about there being about 200,000 - 250,000 copies of Action 1 circulated originally. 70,000 would be destroyed by the newstands and returned, etc. (I don't remember the exact figures.) They also compared the circulation of Detective 27 vs Action 1 and spoke how GA and SA readers back then didn't like first issues since that would mean the books were unproven. Hence, new characters were not introduced in first issues, but in other books. Hence, Detective 27 or the Flash.

Michelle Nolan came up with a figure of 60,000 individual issues published across all publishers which means that the 400,000 comics graded by CGC represents a very small percentage of the total number of books out there. If Ian has 30,000 comics which just comprise DCs, I'm not sure about that number.

They also talked about which was larger, the new comics market or the entire back issue market.

Milton Griep came up with a 100 million dollar figure for Manga (the US Manga market) sold in the US. He used a 10 dollar per Manga book average to calculate that total.

Borock spoke about #1 issues and their higher ratio of being collectible. Griep and Rozanski spoke about first issues being ordered on average 30% more than issues 2-3-4 and that the truly rare issues are the last issues of a mini-series or run. (They were talking about Vertigo books.)

Borock also mentioned a pedigree that consisted of #1s but which were missing Detective 27, etc.

I think he also related an anecdote about Brulato at a show once about buying a nice All-American #16 in 5.5 (?) but that Brulato said he'd wait for a 9.0. (They seemed to think that would never happen in their lifetime.)

Maybe Sid or someone else who was there has more details.

Anyone check out the CGC booth at SD.

Is that Burnout Peter Dixon Hanging around again? popcorn.gif

Jealous that you had to hold down the fort, Doug?

yeah...me too... sorry.gif

Steve made an illegal pass of a unmarked cop car and missed his flight. Enuff said. He blames you Paul. tongue.gif

Hey Greggy,

San Diego Comic Con report? popcorn.gif

By next weekend.

Anyone check out the CGC booth at SD.

Is that Burnout Peter Dixon Hanging around again? popcorn.gif

Jealous that you had to hold down the fort, Doug?

yeah...me too... sorry.gif

Steve made an illegal pass of a unmarked cop car and missed his flight. Enuff said. He blames you Paul. tongue.gif

Hey Greggy,

San Diego Comic Con report? popcorn.gif

By next weekend.

I look forward to reading your review! I also hope you found some nice books. thumbsup2.gif

Nostalgic Investments (I think that's the name) has a sweet run of Fawcett comics - we are talking a huge run of CGC graded comics 9.0 minimum up to 9.6 - lots of 9.4s. I collect Captain Marvels so I was impressed. Even the 9.0 at 1.5x guide were out of my price range, but a very impressive collection - I belive they are from the Crowley (?) collection per the CGC label.

Those books are indeed the other part of the Crowley collection. Bechara Maloof owns them and there was a recent article in Scoop that reported he would be bringing the collection to the con. His prices are notoriously high and he doesn't bargain much, so I didn't think there would be any good deals. 1.5 times guide for any Fawcett that is less than 9.4 is nuts. There was also a rumor that he paid more than 1/2 million for the collection included the grading. Ouch.

I do not get it. As a collector of Golden Age, I would think you would be drooling over being to able to acquire several premium copies from a pedigreed collection. Collections like this do not come around every day so what is Berchara supposed to do? give the stuff away? The problem I had with the collection was not the prices but on a fair number of the books (10-20%) the file stamp was right in what would be considered the sweet part of the cover, thereby killing that particular book for me. I purchased several of the books for myself, and by the time I left on Saturday evening, I would say that close to half the books he brought with him appeared to have sold. (Not bad for three days) Motor City comics also had a collection of uber high grade bronze that I bought a bunch of books from and that collection was pretty much gone by Saturday also so I would have to say, I am not the only blubbering fool to have purchased these high grade, high priced books

I do not get it. As a collector of Golden Age, I would think you would be drooling over being to able to acquire several premium copies from a pedigreed collection. Collections like this do not come around every day so what is Berchara supposed to do? give the stuff away? The problem I had with the collection was not the prices but on a fair number of the books (10-20%) the file stamp was right in what would be considered the sweet part of the cover, thereby killing that particular book for me. I purchased several of the books for myself, and by the time I left on Saturday evening, I would say that close to half the books he brought with him appeared to have sold. (Not bad for three days) Motor City comics also had a collection of uber high grade bronze that I bought a bunch of books from and that collection was pretty much gone by Saturday also so I would have to say, I am not the only blubbering fool to have purchased these high grade, high priced books

I do not drool over acquiring books from pedigree collections, having always considered pedigrees to be nothing more than a marketing tool for dealers. I would much rather purchase the best non-pedigree comics I can afford.

I was one of the people who saw and made an offer on the Crowley collection in 1999, when it was first offered for sale in it's entirety. I am very familiar with the Crowley's, and some are indeed gorgeous books. Overall, however, the Crowley's are undistinguishable from most other higher grade un-pedigree books, and in my opinion, are not worth multiples of guide. Also, Fawcett's are in my opinion a second tier publisher (I love them, and have many issues of Master Comics). While I don't denigrate anyone's desire to pay premiums for them, I wouldn't.

And no one ever said this hobby lacked blubbering fools.

How was the overall Golden age comic selection out in San Diego??? See any Rare books such as Suspence# 3 Red Raven # 1 Fantastic Comics# 3,Etc.

Here's my loot from San Diego. I picked up the first book from Harley as soon as I made it through the door Wednesday night. It's Exciting Comics #35, with one of the more brutal war covers. I'm going to post it in the Nedor thread as well, just to keep that thread going.

e35.gif

I didn't buy anything Thursday or Friday, then Saturday I found this at the Heroes & Dragons booth. It's the Okajima copy, CGC 9.0 with white pages.

s29.gif

Later the same day, I put down a deposit on one of my grail books. I'll post that in the Nedor thread once I've paid it off and received it. It's a GREAT book.