• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most taboo question on the web.

296 posts in this topic

I'm with Roy on this,

Foolkiller is too. I just talked to him about it.

but don't feel like Pat meant anything by it.

I don't really care if people know my salary,but to each his own.

I don't think Pat meant anything either.

How much a person makes has never been an issue for me because my salary is public record.

I'll tell you at least one reason I personally don't like my wage posted publicly.

When I used to work for a car dealership I was one of the top producing technicians in the country. My co-workers never really knew what I earned exactly but they could tell that I would pump the work out.

Well, people are human and they can't help very easily how they feel about some things (and many don't make the effort to moderate that feeling) and money is one of them. I made a few enemies in that place that went out of their way to try to make me look bad.

Not because I ever did or said anything against them but mostly because I simply made more money than them. The fact that I worked twice as hard, came in early, worked through breaks or worked late didn't calculate into the emotional decision to hate me.

Their minds were made up.

They've since started posting wages in meetings at the dealership and the two top earners in the entire shop are the two apprentices that I poured all my efforts into teaching...guys are as honest as the day is long, good human beings and humble...and guess what - the rest of the shop hates them.

BTW, one of those apprentices is now the top Mercedes Benz technician in Canada and is off to Europe to compete in a worldwide competition, representing our country. I'm proud of him!

Money changes the way people think about each other. There's no way to change that. For that reason, I think people and their money are really meant for private conversations.

In ye olden days, it was a question of soldiering or "not breaking the rate." I don't know about your shop but the resentment against high producers was not so much jealousy that they were making more money, but fear that their high level of effort would be required of everyone. If working through breaks, staying late, etc becomes the norm, then people fear they will have to match that level of effort and, in the end, probably not make any more money.

Not saying that view is valid, but it is the way a lot of people think about it.

How much a person makes has never been an issue for me because my salary is public record.

I'll tell you at least one reason I personally don't like my wage posted publicly.

When I used to work for a car dealership I was one of the top producing technicians in the country. My co-workers never really knew what I earned exactly but they could tell that I would pump the work out.

Well, people are human and they can't help very easily how they feel about some things (and many don't make the effort to moderate that feeling) and money is one of them. I made a few enemies in that place that went out of their way to try to make me look bad.

Not because I ever did or said anything against them but mostly because I simply made more money than them. The fact that I worked twice as hard, came in early, worked through breaks or worked late didn't calculate into the emotional decision to hate me.

Their minds were made up.

They've since started posting wages in meetings at the dealership and the two top earners in the entire shop are the two apprentices that I poured all my efforts into teaching...guys are as honest as the day is long, good human beings and humble...and guess what - the rest of the shop hates them.

BTW, one of those apprentices is now the top Mercedes Benz technician in Canada and is off to Europe to compete in a worldwide competition, representing our country. I'm proud of him!

Money changes the way people think about each other. There's no way to change that. For that reason, I think people and their money are really meant for private conversations.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this sir.

We are not talking about anyone specifically so what's the harm in discussing it?

Let's discuss penii sizes then.

:eyeroll:

I'm just of the mind that it's always been a personal thing.

Gotta fly. See y'all later.

What's a penii?

Type of short, narrow, pasta.

I just checked. I don't have any.

Comics Grader Posted 2012-10-19

Heritage Auction Galleries - Dallas, TX

Comics Grader Job Description: Do you have knowledge of Silver and Golden Age comic books? Then apply your analytical and research skills in a career in our unique and fun environment. Heritage Auctions (HA.com) is #1 in the...

Job Type: Full Time

Experience: Senior Level

Salary: 50K - 74K (accuracy not guaranteed)

Company Information: Heritage Auction Galleries job application in Dallas,TX, and Heritage Auction Galleries jobs.

Dang, $74,000.00 :o

Is that a good salary by US standards ?

Well above average. I think average was $42,000 last year.

I'm thinking that nobody is going to get that number though. That's just to entice people, unless you're bringing some real cred to the job.

It is impressive though. Even the $50K is above the national average.

Comics Grader Posted 2012-10-19

Heritage Auction Galleries - Dallas, TX

Comics Grader Job Description: Do you have knowledge of Silver and Golden Age comic books? Then apply your analytical and research skills in a career in our unique and fun environment. Heritage Auctions (HA.com) is #1 in the...

Job Type: Full Time

Experience: Senior Level

Salary: 50K - 74K (accuracy not guaranteed)

Company Information: Heritage Auction Galleries job application in Dallas,TX, and Heritage Auction Galleries jobs.

Thanks for the posting and refocussing the argument.

I don't believe anyone was asking what a particular person earned. The question was an interest in what the job paid.

Now we have a range from Heritage.

Dang, $74,000.00 :o

Is that a good salary by US standards ?

Yep. Minimum wage is roughly 15K.

15K is minimum wage? :o

It's different by state unless there has been a federally mandated minumum wage enacted recently, but I know that here in Massachusetts minimum wage equals $17160/year