• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink November Auction

247 posts in this topic

Thanks guys. Had lots of fun yesterday, even though I was disappointed to lose out on every Golden Age book I wanted (in most cases, by a healthy margin). The Silver stuff at a discount was a nice consolation.

You did great brother, I believe the thing about the GAs is that there are

such high profile Gaines File Copies it created a buzz and made a feeding frenzy.

That Crime Suspense Stories 22 was over the top!

Actually, one thing I think that is starting to show a trend is that the spreads are closing. Let's take DD 1 as an example. DD 1 in 8.0 or 8.5 has remained fairly consistent, I'd even say it was on the upswing (small). What I've been seeing is that for books that have become more common, the "uber grades" are starting to get closer to their lower grade counterparts like the 9.4s, 9.2s etc.

I think this is a good thing. I think it's inherently more stable for the market overall and for the overall health for prices of 8.0/8.5 etc. not to be seen as valueless or not worthy of collectability -- an FF 112 in 9.8 should be $15k and a 9.6 $1200. Makes more sense for it to be double for a book that now appears in grade fairly frequently.

And, just so the # 11 wouldn't be lonely, I also snagged this one:

RAD28EC3201296_11432.jpg

Nothing wrong with snagging an old label White Mountain book at what would be an all-time GPA low.

:o

Jealous! Hope I get a few books tonight that I'm bidding on!

-- an FF 112 in 9.8 should be $15k and a 9.6 $1200.

should be $15k??? :shrug:

+1 (shrug)

Or was that 1.5k ?

What I meant to say was it shouldn't be FF 112 $15k for a 9.8 and $1200 for a 9.6. Those numbers should be closer.

The people bidding on the old labels are -- to my mind -- hoping for a bump, almost universally, and some will move two units.

But I also think there are people who pay way more aggressively for a book that has tremendous eye appeal regardless of the number.

I own some 6.0 GA books that have the eye appeal of 8.5 or 9.0 but have a back cover defect or something significant that hold it back, I would pay very aggressively.

Crime Suspenstories 22 CGC 6.5 $3988.00

Pretty crazy price for a 6.5 in my opinion. I thought the CGC 5.0 on Heritage that sold in October for $1015.00 was a little high also. In July a Vg- raw sold on Heritage for $448.00.

A trend?

Maybe Harley Yee's "fine" book for 900 bucks is a deal then? ( it is more like a 4.5 )

Pre-code Horror has been getting blown up. I started collecting three years ago and it was cheap and readily available. I just sit back and watch now as prices have skyrocketed. It's great stuff and was heavily under valued IMO and is probably closer to where it ought to be. Ya gotta wonder what a 9.6 Gaines copy of CS 22 would bring if it showed up.

How does this make sense?

I understand people are speculating a bump but why bother when you can get the 9.2 for such a great price?

Clinkprice.jpg

i had a bid for 3k on the 9.0 that i though might hold up and the 9.0 looks way better than the 9.2. So the 9.2 is a great price if you buy the label but the 9.0 was gorgeous. I did win the avengers 4 8.0 old label. Though it went for around gpa anyhow. I just had to have it lol.

I own some 6.0 GA books that have the eye appeal of 8.5 or 9.0 but have a back cover defect or something significant that hold it back, I would pay very aggressively.

Agreed.

It's been the norm. in the last few years to factor in price and logic (an exit price) into these discussions when in fact for decades people didn't logically pay for comics books, they were emotional decisions. Sometimes people just go after something aggressively regardless of what someone else is going to pay for it.

I've done it. We've all done it.

I agree that this is a very good thing for people who are trying to actually collect books, rather than speculate in them.

It could be very ugly for some high end dealers (or investors) though.

What will be interesting is to see if people change their buying habits in response.

On the opposite side, I think that the sharp rise in price for low grade AF15's probably makes the mid to higher grade copies a better value.

Actually, one thing I think that is starting to show a trend is that the spreads are closing. Let's take DD 1 as an example. DD 1 in 8.0 or 8.5 has remained fairly consistent, I'd even say it was on the upswing (small). What I've been seeing is that for books that have become more common, the "uber grades" are starting to get closer to their lower grade counterparts like the 9.4s, 9.2s etc.

I think this is a good thing. I think it's inherently more stable for the market overall and for the overall health for prices of 8.0/8.5 etc. not to be seen as valueless or not worthy of collectability -- an FF 112 in 9.8 should be $15k and a 9.6 $1200. Makes more sense for it to be double for a book that now appears in grade fairly frequently.