• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer 1-18 Appreciation Thread

159 posts in this topic

Here's a pic of my double cover SS4. I got this from a lot buy in the mid nineties.

I talked with and showed this to CGC at the last Boston Con.

While they said it was pretty cool. They also said that because it's squarebound

and not attached. It couldn't be graded as a double cover book.

Double cover:

SS4_1_zps31ce14b1.jpg

Without:

SS4_2.jpg

Here's a pic of my double cover SS4. I got this from a lot buy in the mid nineties.

I talked with and showed this to CGC at the last Boston Con.

While they said it was pretty cool. They also said that because it's squarebound

and not attached. It couldn't be graded as a double cover book.

Double cover:

SS4_1.jpg

hm I have seen lots of squarebound Double Covers CGC graded (shrug) Cool Book by the way. :cool:

200.jpg

hmThat's what I was told by the person I talked to at the booth!? Don't remember her name. I guess I got bad info from her!!???hm

I think the key factor is that the outer cover is not attached.

That's exactly what I was told. Because the outer cover isn't attached

(or glued on in this case). It couldn't be authenticated / graded as a double cover,

but Cosmic-Spider-Mans post with the ASM200, lists both covers and notes

(second cover not glued on). So, it seems that it can be graded as a

double cover.

Not a big deal. It's a great book that I'm happy to have in my collection.

Will get a two sided frame at some point and frame the extra cover

and hang it in my office.

Hope to add SS1 to my set in 2013 :wishluck:

Suweet! :applause:

Hey guys...

Just bought my first SS #1 today. Claimed it was a 7.0, but more like a 6.0. It's all good (I smell an upgrade at some point in the future).

The other good news is that with this purchase I only need five more books to complete the 1-18 run:

#9 (have one - too low grade for slabbing)

#10 (have one - too low grade for slabbing)

My #4 is lower grade as well (probably 4.0 ish), but it has great eye appeal (another future upgrade). I also picked up FF #48 (CGC 6.0) recently along with #49 and #50 (raw, 6.0 ish).

The surfer set is moving along. Looking forward to having them all slabbed in 2013 (currently have six slabbed - 2, 3, 7, 8, 13, 16). That #16 is a sweet CGC 8.5 that I got for a steal ($62). Thanks for reading...

Ryan

Hope to add SS1 to my set in 2013 :wishluck:

Suweet! :applause:

Hey guys...

Just bought my first SS #1 today. Claimed it was a 7.0, but more like a 6.0. It's all good (I smell an upgrade at some point in the future).

The other good news is that with this purchase I only need five more books to complete the 1-18 run:

#9 (have one - too low grade for slabbing)

#10 (have one - too low grade for slabbing)

My #4 is lower grade as well (probably 4.0 ish), but it has great eye appeal (another future upgrade). I also picked up FF #48 (CGC 6.0) recently along with #49 and #50 (raw, 6.0 ish).

The surfer set is moving along. Looking forward to having them all slabbed in 2013 (currently have six slabbed - 2, 3, 7, 8, 13, 16). That #16 is a sweet CGC 8.5 that I got for a steal ($62). Thanks for reading...

Ryan

Nice!

Update: I'm one book shy of a full run (#12) and am in the process of upgrading my #1 to a CGC 7.5.

Will post a pick once I get the 'family' together.

(thumbs u

:applause: I cant wait to see them.

#1 CGC 7.5 would be sweet :cloud9:

Well... I'm so close I can taste it. Just need that #12, but I'm waiting to buy a higher grade slabbed copy instead of a raw mid-grade. Thanks to Brock for the #1 and to others for helping me piece this together. After the #12 the process begins of upgrading/slabbing. The raws are an average of 6.0, with some being a little less, some a little more. The #4 is probably a 4.5/5.0 (and one that I will want to upgrade first :grin:

My goal is to get them all to VF or better. Thanks for looking and I'll keep you posted as I continue to pursue the Surfer...

8539924703_053ce80feb_b.jpg

Well... I'm so close I can taste it. Just need that #12, but I'm waiting to buy a higher grade slabbed copy instead of a raw mid-grade. Thanks to Brock for the #1 and to others for helping me piece this together. After the #12 the process begins of upgrading/slabbing. The raws are an average of 6.0, with some being a little less, some a little more. The #4 is probably a 4.5/5.0 (and one that I will want to upgrade first :grin:

My goal is to get them all to VF or better. Thanks for looking and I'll keep you posted as I continue to pursue the Surfer...

8539924703_053ce80feb_b.jpg

:applause: Nice!