• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mycomicshop auction

81 posts in this topic

I don't place a high value on signed comics anyway, but are signatures at the bottom of the splash worthwhile? I've gotten a couple over the years by accident, at standard prices. I have a John Buscema Avengers and a George Perez New Teen Titans like that, so it seems that even creators with a fan base signing the comics they're well known for don't add value if they sign on the first page rather than the cover.

So Marv Wolfman signing an "All-New, All-Different X-Men?" I can't imagine the added value was worth the extra time to scan the front page.

Hi guys, writing from my phone so I'll be brief. I'll ask our inventory team about the book on Monday. The scanning team should already know how to handle books so as not to damage them. If this one was handled improperly, we'll address it and it won't happen again. If the book was damaged, I'll cancel that listing and compensate the consignor.

There are several X-men books that are folded over just like this one so better check those also. :gossip:

There are several with Marv Wolfman signatures. I didn't check them, but would fear the same thing there...

I don't place a high value on signed comics anyway, but are signatures at the bottom of the splash worthwhile? I've gotten a couple over the years by accident, at standard prices. I have a John Buscema Avengers and a George Perez New Teen Titans like that, so it seems that even creators with a fan base signing the comics they're well known for don't add value if they sign on the first page rather than the cover.

So Marv Wolfman signing an "All-New, All-Different X-Men?" I can't imagine the added value was worth the extra time to scan the front page.

George Perez was such a fixture at local NYC cons and did so many guest appearences at local shops that its almost as rare to find an unsigned TT #1 as it is a signed one around here. An unverified signature anywhere on the book adds little value in most cases.

Still, the owner of that book must be livid. That's going to be one hell of a crease. It's like the guy doing the scanning has never even interacted with anybody even half interested in comics.

Certainly this guy has no regard for them.

Terminated is the only possible outcome. This guy can't be let anywhere near books.

Sad thing is that a mistake like this seriously damages credibility and is probably going to limit the growth of their auction and consignment business for a while.

Sad thing is that a mistake like this seriously damages credibility and is probably going to limit the growth of their auction and consignment business for a while.

Time is a great healer -- and sometimes a very short time. :shy:

I think every major dealer/member should have their own running, stickied thread, making it easier for them (and us) to ask and get answers to issues such as this.

I think that's a great idea.

We're not that important. (tsk)

Terminated is the only possible outcome. This guy can't be let anywhere near books.

I don't think you can reach this conclusion unless you know all the information, which you never will.

It might be a situation where someone needs to be properly trained. It's quite possibly someone that needs guidance in how to do it and the reasons they need to do it that way.

Action needs to be taken, but I seriously doubt it needs to result in termination. You're reacting with emotion instead of logic.

I don't think you can reach this conclusion unless you know all the information, which you never will.

It might be a situation where someone needs to be properly trained. It's quite possibly someone that needs guidance in how to do it and the reasons they need to do it that way.

Action needs to be taken, but I seriously doubt it needs to result in termination. You're reacting with emotion instead of logic.

no, i'm not.

yes, there is a training problem, but nobody who has spent any time or genuinely wants to spend any time around comics would do this without at least asking first if they were unsure.

I would guess this is a low paid or temp worker -- probably not somebody who's been on staff for a long time.

Couple that with the amount of money and credibility this costs, and there is no other alternative.

now, if the person is a long time employee, then I agree that it is simply an egregious error and requires a serious conversation.

Note regarding whether autographs like these are even worth noting: Matt (consignment director) and I were discussing that a few days ago, prompted by the fact that we've had a consignor or two recently with a number of autographed books like this one. The consignors want us to list the autographs, but we'd prefer not to be in the position to claim that a book was autographed when we didn't ourselves witness the autograph. We'll probably adopt something similar to CGC's awkward but true phrasing "name written on cover in marker" that mentions the existence of the signature without vouching for its authenticity.

As I said before, if there was damage done the consignor will be completely compensated, the item regraded, and the auction canceled. We will make absolutely sure whoever scanned the book knows not to do that again, and that anyone doing scanning in the future is appropriately trained. This isn't something we'd fire anybody over unless it continued to happen after we brought it to their attention.

This isn't something we'd fire anybody over unless it continued to happen after we brought it to their attention.
Maybe just demote them to the mailroom?

Better yet, make them read all the threads that say anything about mycomicshop.com and write a dissertation on what they learned. That'll teach 'em.