• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 'Man of Steel' Trailer

166 posts in this topic

Just getting tired of origin movies in general. 2 Spider-man ones, 2 Batman ones, 2 Superman ones, etc, etc.

When was the first Batman origin movie?

the first Batman one was played out through 3 films (Batman, Returns and Forever)

Just getting tired of origin movies in general. 2 Spider-man ones, 2 Batman ones, 2 Superman ones, etc, etc.

batman.gif

trailer looks good to me, wish I could see more. oh well.

is it me or are they changing the reason behind his flying ability? it's always been the "lighter gravity on Earth as opposed to Krypton" thing. but in that one shot before he takes off, it looks like he is able to move the air around him. which could explain acceleration and the "vapor trail" thingy.

The air movement is just normal physics. Air tends to swirl when something passes through it. The vapour might also form when his movement creates friction in the small amount of air around him as he passes through a cold environment with moisture in the air.

yeah that's what I was wondering, does he have some sort of force field around him or aura which moves the air around him. it's never been depicted this way before. I mean he's not moving when his fist is on the ground just before take off and yet you see the air and rocks start to swirl.

I thought you were talking about when he was actually airborne.

I saw that stuff going on around his fist and figured it was him pressing on the earth with his fist that was causing a vibration just before he leapt off.

Now that you mention it, I see the swirl - interesting. No idea why it's there.

This exchange got me Googling, and I found the following:

A Unified Theory of Superman's Powers

The author's theory is "that all of Superman's recognized powers can be unifed if His power is the ability to manipulate, from atomic to kilometer length scales, the inertia of His own and any matter with which He is in contact."

I'm no physicist, but I'm now wondering how "inertia" relates to "kinetic energy". Gambit has a kinetic energy superpower, so should he be able to fly? And doesn't Juggernaut's mutant ability have something to do with inertia? So many questions . . .

the first Batman one was played out through 3 films (Batman, Returns and Forever)

No real 'origin' movies in that lot. Yeah they acknowledged it through various flashbacks, but Begins was the only origin movie really.

batman.gif

:banana:

No real 'origin' movies in that lot. Yeah they acknowledged it through various flashbacks, but Begins was the only origin movie really.

yeah, if the origin is his parent's dying/bats flying at him then it happened in flashbacks in the first 3, if the origin is how he bacame to be Batman then only Batman Begins

Oh, goodie. More "epic" seriousness...and the same drab, washed-out, desaturated color palette, too. I know I've said it before...and I'll say it again: Bleh.... :sick:

And what the hell is with that ubiquitous faux-baroque chorale music? Is there a rule I'm unaware of stating that a suphero movie trailer works best when it sounds like it's being broadcast from the choir stalls of a grand cathedral? Is that supposed to distract me from the fact that superheroes are, y'know, really kinda silly at heart (not a bad thing!), no matter how much we'd like to pretend that they're not?

Somebody please wake me up when the era for this sort of "artistry" is over; when a truly innovative filmmaker attempts to embrace the silliness, rather than transcend it; and a quirky sense of humor, a fun & action-packed adventure story, bright colors, & bold, punchy film scores are back in vogue...

Somebody please wake me up when the era for this sort of "artistry" is over; when a truly innovative filmmaker attempts to embrace the silliness, rather than transcend it; and a quirky sense of humor, a fun & action-packed adventure story, bright colors, & bold, punchy film scores are back in vogue...

What did you think about Avengers?

:blush: Still haven't seen it, but I hear it's more up my alley! (But I did see JOHN CARTER, and really liked it! Of course, it was a flop...)

Honestly, from what little of this stuff I do see on TV, it looks like DC is more guilty of dingy, heavy-handedness than Marvel. But I loathe just about everything made after 1980 anyway, so what do I know? :grin:

Avengers is right up the same alley as John Carter. It's bright and fun and not too serious. I'm interested to know what your take on it is after you see it.

Can't believe you haven't seen it yet.

:makepoint:

PS, I love JC of Mars too.

I really think it's just that the aesthetics of mainstream film-making, and the expectations of the majority of the audience for it, have changed dramatically, like everything else in popular entertainment.

Being out of step with the modern era may make me a cranky old f@rt before my time, but it also saves me a lot of $$!

Avengers is right up the same alley as John Carter. It's bright and fun and not too serious. I'm interested to know what your take on it is after you see it.

Can't believe you haven't seen it yet.

:makepoint:

PS, I love JC of Mars too.

Everybody that saw John Carter liked it. All seventeen of us.

That's exactly what I was going to ask!

Being out of step with the modern era may make me a cranky old f@rt before my time, but it also saves me a lot of $$!

TESTIFY!!! :acclaim:

I spent many a year wondering if I was indeed just a cranky old with a perpetual grump-on. I've since decided that my taste is simply superior, y'all don't know about what's good, and now all is righteous with my world. :grin:

TESTIFY!!! :acclaim:

I spent many a year wondering if I was indeed just a cranky old with a perpetual grump-on. I've since decided that my taste is simply superior, y'all don't know about what's good, and now all is righteous with my world. :grin:

Crotchety old man bonding. :cloud9::preach::baiting:

Modern comics have better art and writing than they did in previous generations. Part of it is because the artists are better paid than they were in the past so more quality people are drawn to the art, and part of it is because the writing is now geared more towards adults than kids because kids are a minority audience now since comics are dying out.