• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 'Man of Steel' Trailer

166 posts in this topic

...the writing is now geared more towards adults than kids because kids are a minority audience now since comics are dying out.

...and we'll be the poorer for it, I'm afraid. Lose the kids, and you've lost the future...

...the writing is now geared more towards adults than kids because kids are a minority audience now since comics are dying out.

...and we'll be the poorer for it, I'm afraid. Lose the kids, and you've lost the future...

.....and the sad part is that for so many years, contrary to Wertham's assertions, comics were good for kids. Most avid comics fans seem to become good, successful citizens. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.....and the sad part is that for so many years, contrary to Wertham's assertions, comics were good for kids. Most avid comics fans seem to become good, successful citizens. GOD BLESS....

Not sure whether to call you guys grumpy old farts or Luddites--I think it's both. :ohnoez: The creativity in comics that is good for kids has just been replaced by a new medium, it isn't gone. We're not poorer for it, and kids of the current generation aren't lacking creative and moral stories that previous generations had, they're just being told in a different way--in the forms of television shows, films, and video games. The only thing that is lost is a renewed interest in the specific format of printed comic books on paper. That's just the nature of technology...to fret about it is an attached over-sentimentalism. I liked collecting comics just like you guys did, but the format going away is just how it goes. (shrug)

I'm always up for a comparative media debate, but we should take it to a new thread. A better and longer-established argument for comics is that the printed word is a superior format for intellectual stimulation than full-motion video. Full-motion video is for the lazy and the less-intelligent, that line of thinking often goes. Watching video means you use less imagination than by reading the printed word. However, it's a fallacious and overly-sentimental point of view--visual media aren't more popular because people are lazy, they're more popular because the medium is more natural and compelling to human beings because our main sense and way of experiencing the world is visual.

Not sure whether to call you guys grumpy old farts or Luddites--I think it's both. :ohnoez: The creativity in comics that is good for kids has just been replaced by a new medium, it isn't gone. We're not poorer for it, and kids of the current generation aren't lacking creative and moral stories that previous generations had, they're just being told in a different way--in the forms of television shows, films, and video games. The only thing that is lost is a renewed interest in the specific format of printed comic books on paper. That's just the nature of technology...to fret about it is an attached over-sentimentalism. I liked collecting comics just like you guys did, but the format going away is just how it goes. (shrug)

I'm always up for a comparative media debate, but we should take it to a new thread. A better and longer-established argument for comics is that the printed word is a superior format for intellectual stimulation than full-motion video. Full-motion video is for the lazy and the less-intelligent, that line of thinking often goes. Watching video means you use less imagination than by reading the printed word. However, it's a fallacious and overly-sentimental point of view--visual media aren't more popular because people are lazy, they're more popular because the medium is more natural and compelling to human beings because our main sense and way of experiencing the world is visual.

....good post, as always.....and I have, despite my best efforts, begun devolving into a crotchety old gristle head. GOD BLESS....

....good post, as always.....and I have, despite my best efforts, begun devolving into a crotchety old gristle head. GOD BLESS....

You gave in too easy :(

:gossip: ....I'm just feigning defeat....GOD BLESS....

:gossip: ....I'm just feigning defeat....GOD BLESS....

:headbang:

i dunno i think they have specific comics for kids, then when they get to a certain age they have plenty of options
There's a kids corner in Heroes in Charlotte that has tons of comics for much younger kids....I do think there's a gap in what's needed for a 10-15 year old though as the material gets pretty adult very quickly after looking at Scooby Doo and Sonic comics.

I have, despite my best efforts, begun devolving into a crotchety old gristle head. GOD BLESS....

This is pretty much what my wife said about me last night :preach:

Somebody please wake me up when the era for this sort of "artistry" is over; when a truly innovative filmmaker attempts to embrace the silliness, rather than transcend it; and a quirky sense of humor, a fun & action-packed adventure story, bright colors, & bold, punchy film scores are back in vogue...

So you enjoyed Batman and Robin?

I'm really hopefull. I think this WILL be the best movie of the year :wishluck:

That being said the same early "reviews" were made last year a couple of months before Amazing Spider-Man came out and they were calling it the best superhero movie of all time. Studio plants?

Studio plants?

It is fair to point that out. Even the post from that thread mentioned it is friends and family members of studio employees that were allowed to attend the early screening.

But man, I want it to be true. :wishluck: