• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw 'The Hobbit' tonight...(Spoiler free)

261 posts in this topic

Family and I saw it Friday night in 3D only because we were late for 2D film. It starts slow telling the story which is fine with me, but for kids it will bore them some. Once it picks up it is very entertaining and both my kids enjoyed. I would not recommend 3D unless you just like that stuff. In my opinion it just isnt worth the extra money.

My family saw it and loved it. But I still have a few nits to pick:

1. The scene where the orcs on wargs are chasing the dwarves in the mountains in broad daylight contradicts LOTR lore. Everyone knows that orcs cannot go out in the daylight. In fact that is the big difference between orcs and the Urakhi (sp?) Saruman created. How could Jackson have missed this?

2. The depiction of Saruman as a foolish and angry wizard is inconsistent with his role as the wise and respected leader of the wizard clan. Apparently, Jackson wanted to portray him as being the same as he was in LOTR. But Saruman acted that way in LOTR because he had been corrupted by Sauron. The Hobbit was an opportunity to show what Saruman used to be like, which would have dramatically illustrated his fall from grace in LOTR.

3. The escape from Goblintown was absurd and utterly unrealistic (not the filming, but rather the ease and luck with which they overcame thousands of goblins). I felt like I was watching a cartoon during that scene.

4. I was also somewhat bothered by the fact that Feely and Keely look like male models rather than dwarves. Seems like unnecessary pandering to the Legolas groupies.

Otherwise, great flick! I'm looking forward to the next installment.

1. The scene where the orcs on wargs are chasing the dwarves in the mountains in broad daylight contradicts LOTR lore. Everyone knows that orcs cannot go out in the daylight. In fact that is the big difference between orcs and the Urakhi (sp?) Saruman created. How could Jackson have missed this?

2. The depiction of Saruman as a foolish and angry wizard is inconsistent with his role as the wise and respected leader of the wizard clan. Apparently, Jackson wanted to portray him as being the same as he was in LOTR. But Saruman acted that way in LOTR because he had been corrupted by Sauron. The Hobbit was an opportunity to show what Saruman used to be like, which would have dramatically illustrated his fall from grace in LOTR.

3. The escape from Goblintown was absurd and utterly unrealistic (not the filming, but rather the ease and luck with which they overcame thousands of goblins). I felt like I was watching a cartoon during that scene.

4. I was also somewhat bothered by the fact that Feely and Keely look like male models rather than dwarves. Seems like unnecessary pandering to the Legolas groupies.

Interesting observations. I also loved the movie, but felt that the scene with Saruman was the weakest part.

Very good points, particularly #1. I too was wondering how it was that a bunch of orcs were freely roaming around in the daytime.

On Saruman, though, I don`t know if angry or foolish is a correct description. Yes, he seems foolish now in hindsight. I think his attitude was more a case of being close-minded and very sure of himself. And perhaps that he was open to being corrupted. As we`ve seen, although Mithrians are very powerful and wise, they`re certainly not perfect.

re: Orcs in the daytime, The Hobbit was written before LOTR and any of the "lore" that we now understand.

I don't recall from the book since I read it 20 some-odd years ago, but there are a LOT of inconsistencies between the Hobbit and LOTR.

Particularly the hinting about Sauron (the "Necromancer") and the power of the Ring, etc. Tolkein hadn't even thought about that stuff yet when he wrote the Hobbit, and Jackson's inclusion is totally artistic license.

In fact, the "orcs" in The Hobbit are actually referred to as "Goblins" in the book, and there is no distinction between the 2 races.

The word "orc" only appears twice in The Hobbit text. Once in an instance where Gandalf is trying to scare Bilbo by mentioning creatures of the wilderness "goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs of the worst description," and again when the narrator mentions Orcs as nothing but large goblins, as well as in the Elvish name of Thorin's sword, Orcrist.

Great points here, and I agree completely with #3 and #4.

However, in regards to #1, I don't believe Tolkien ever explicitly states that Orcs or Goblins cannot function in daylight, just that they are slower and prefer not too. In Return of the King, Gandalf explains to Pippin that Sauron is blocking the sun (The Great Darkness) from Minas Morgul to "ease there passing," referencing the Orcs leaving Minas Morgul towards Minas Tirith.

#2 - I'm not sure about Saruman being foolish or angry, but at the White Council meeting that is portrayed in the film the Hobbit (this is technically, chronologically correct, even though this meeting actually is written in Appendix B of The Return of the King if I remember correctly), Saruman already knows that Sauron has returned and is in Dol Guldur, and Saruman, himself, is looking for the One Ring, for himself, not for Sauron.

In fact, I don't believe Saruman was ever corrupted by Sauron, but by power itself. In the LOTR movies it is not portrayed this way, but in the books Saruman is basically playing both sides. He wants the ring for himself. In one of the Appendixes or maybe it was the Unfinished Tales (I don't remember exactly) we learn that during the time of the Hobbit, Saruman has learned that the One Ring should be around the river Anduin and he begins to look for it himself and thwart Sauron's Nazgul. He acts as if he is interested in helping Sauron when they communicate through the palantiri, but in reality he wants Sauron and the free people of Middle Earth of wipe each other out and he can rule once it's all said and over with. Whenever the One Ring is mentioned in the White Council meetings, he dismisses it as being gone, swept to sea, knowing full well that it is somewhere and that Sauron is looking for it.

I would even argue that this sort of greed and corruption was suspected by the Valar even before they sent any of the Istari to Middle Earth, as they made Saruman take Radagast with him, and eventually sent Gandalf down too.

Lastly, at the time of the White Council meeting as shown in the Hobbit, Galadriel is already skeptical of Saruman, and doesn't trust him. She, and her husband (Celeborn) wanted Gandalf to be appointed the head of the White Council.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) was actually better. Much better. And that was a mediocre film.

My 10-year-old daughter and I walked walked out of the movie theatre at the end of the second hour of the film to save us an hour and do something useful with it. We were bored to tears.

My 10-year-old daughter and I walked walked out of the movie theatre at the end of the second hour of the film to save us an hour and do something useful with it. We were bored to tears.

What movie were you watching, again? Ishtar?

I remember sitting through and watching Ishtar start to finish in the theatre, as bad as it was. Can't say the same for Hobbit!

Deal with my brother's nonsense on Christmas Eve or decide to go missing tonight and see the Hobbit and Lincoln?

We all just had lunch together... looks like I may go see at least one tonight.

:roflmao:

I can understand someone going meh or i didnt care for it,but walking out of this..

With the high number of 100 million dreks that Hollywood churns out day in day out,i think this is still one of the top holiday movies you can see on a huge screen.

Great points here, and I agree completely with #3 and #4.

However, in regards to #1, I don't believe Tolkien ever explicitly states that Orcs or Goblins cannot function in daylight, just that they are slower and prefer not too. In Return of the King, Gandalf explains to Pippin that Sauron is blocking the sun (The Great Darkness) from Minas Morgul to "ease there passing," referencing the Orcs leaving Minas Morgul towards Minas Tirith.

#2 - I'm not sure about Saruman being foolish or angry, but at the White Council meeting that is portrayed in the film the Hobbit (this is technically, chronologically correct, even though this meeting actually is written in Appendix B of The Return of the King if I remember correctly), Saruman already knows that Sauron has returned and is in Dol Guldur, and Saruman, himself, is looking for the One Ring, for himself, not for Sauron.

In fact, I don't believe Saruman was ever corrupted by Sauron, but by power itself. In the LOTR movies it is not portrayed this way, but in the books Saruman is basically playing both sides. He wants the ring for himself. In one of the Appendixes or maybe it was the Unfinished Tales (I don't remember exactly) we learn that during the time of the Hobbit, Saruman has learned that the One Ring should be around the river Anduin and he begins to look for it himself and thwart Sauron's Nazgul. He acts as if he is interested in helping Sauron when they communicate through the palantiri, but in reality he wants Sauron and the free people of Middle Earth of wipe each other out and he can rule once it's all said and over with. Whenever the One Ring is mentioned in the White Council meetings, he dismisses it as being gone, swept to sea, knowing full well that it is somewhere and that Sauron is looking for it.

I would even argue that this sort of greed and corruption was suspected by the Valar even before they sent any of the Istari to Middle Earth, as they made Saruman take Radagast with him, and eventually sent Gandalf down too.

Lastly, at the time of the White Council meeting as shown in the Hobbit, Galadriel is already skeptical of Saruman, and doesn't trust him. She, and her husband (Celeborn) wanted Gandalf to be appointed the head of the White Council.

Very good observations.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was great. It fit well with the other movies.

My only real complaint was with the goblin town escape as mentioned before.

It was ridiculous to the point of being distracting.

Ishtar was actually watchable.

Heaven`s Gate, on the other hand...

I LOVED Ishtar! The whole "waking up lost in the desert" segment was great! lol

Lyle: "Boy, it's gonna be a scorcher today!" :roflmao:

Oh, and we saw The Hobbit today. Very well done. Even all the 2,000 calorie filler. The 3D was a waste of $ as we thought it added nothing to the experience.

IMHO 2c

I remember sitting through and watching Ishtar start to finish in the theatre, as bad as it was. Can't say the same for Hobbit!

had you guys not seen the LOTR trilogy extended editions? because that's pretty much what this is- more LOTR, except the extended version *is* the theatrical version.

had you guys not seen the LOTR trilogy extended editions? because that's pretty much what this is- more LOTR, except the extended version *is* the theatrical version.

Having recently rewatched the LOTR extended versions, I have to say I like the theatrical versions much better. The Return of the King, in particular, is much better in the theatrical version. The pacing of the theatrical versions is is a lot snappier. If Jackson had filmed the Hobbit first, I would guess that the movie would be 45-60 minutes shorter.

Knowing he had a huge audience that would show up regardless of the length of the movie, led him to be a bit self-indulgent, imho. Although overall I like the movie, the beginning is way too draggy. I was reading somewhere that the movie underperformed Warner Brothers opening weekend estimates by $25 million or so. My guess is that mediocre word of mouth will hold down its total gross. I imagine the opening for the second film will be lower than for this film.

If Jackson had filmed the Hobbit first, I would guess that the movie would be 45-60 minutes shorter.

If Jackson had filmed the Hobbit first, it would be ONE 2-1/2 hour movie. :gossip:

Although overall I like the movie, the beginning is way too draggy.

I really don`t understand these comments about the beginning of the movie being too draggy. What is it exactly that people want cut out? The use of Ian Holm and Elijah Woods to tie it into the LOTR? The background of how the dwarves got kicked out of Erebor? The arrival of the dwarves at Bilbo`s house? All were great scenes and totally essential.

The kid in me loved the movie as it reminded me a lot of the cartoon from the 80's.

The adult in me was impatient and annoyed that it was too fantastic and unbelievable.

I didn't feel this way about Lord of the Rings when it was in the theaters. Maybe Game of Thrones has affected my expectations of fantasy movies now. (shrug)