• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Troubling Development on CAF - Avengers #277 Cover

40 posts in this topic

I am the original owner of this John Buscema Classic and have been for a l-o-n-g

time.

I just put it back onto CAF and it can be seen here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=298282&GSub=3817

Unfortunately, a "S. West" has now put up what must be either a pure photocopy,

or some sort of photostat 'productuion art'

It is listed here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=964479&GSub=138246

Of course he has only listed it as the actual cover, even though this is 100%

NOT the cover

What can be done about this if anything?

I posted a comment on the copy and it was promptly deleted. I wrote to S. West

and have not heard back.

This is a blatent copy of an artwork I own, and is being purported as the real

thing.

Help!

Len

Caf is for original artwork, not stats, or prints, especially if not accurately described as such.

I would email Bill Cox, inform him of the detail and provide a link.

The other cover is clearly a stat. You can see that it's whiter than the art board. AND you can see the edges of the stat up against the art board.

Plus the flash "shine".

Just a stat. No biggie except the owner doesn't know what they have. It does have all the original pasted up logos, type, etc... which the original cover art is missing. They'd make a nice pair.

Caf is for original artwork, not stats, or prints, especially if not accurately described as such.

+1

I'm surprised that CAF doesn't have a 'report' link, as I have come across lots of prints and unoriginal things of that nature when I search the site.

+1

I'm surprised that CAF doesn't have a 'report' link, as I have come across lots of prints and unoriginal things of that nature when I search the site.

Bill told me once that he doesn't want to police CAF. I had an issue with a person keeping a piece of art in his "sold" folder that was mine. He didn't want to get involved.if he had a report button, he'd be inundated with stuff to take care of.

The guy says this:

I have been advised that this is indeed the Masterboard in production..meaning this is the final step before printing that all the stats were added to, to get the final published cover- so this actual piece is literally the published work, the full image is not pencil/ink, but there is much done by hand at edges and blend-points that were required to mesh the piece to its' final printable perfection! At any rate, it's still a really neat piece of the history of making comics, and definitely one of the best covers from this story arc!

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

The guy says this:

I have been advised that this is indeed the Masterboard in production..meaning this is the final step before printing that all the stats were added to, to get the final published cover- so this actual piece is literally the published work, the full image is not pencil/ink, but there is much done by hand at edges and blend-points that were required to mesh the piece to its' final printable perfection! At any rate, it's still a really neat piece of the history of making comics, and definitely one of the best covers from this story arc!

facepalm-big.jpg

Problem is, the colors aren't on there yet. Seems like we need to go one step further to arrive at "literally the published work." I have taken that step, and as soon as my copy arrives I'm going to tear off the cover, scan it, and post it on my CAF.

Proud as Heck!

Problem is, the colors aren't on there yet. Seems like we need to go one step further to arrive at "literally the published work." I have taken that step, and as soon as my copy arrives I'm going to tear off the cover, scan it, and post it on my CAF.

Proud as Heck!

I was literally thinking the same thing earlier today.

This cover was on Ebay a month or two ago. It was listed as production art, not original art. the seller was completely honest about it letting me know it was a stat with a little art around the edges. I was tempted to buy it for a couple hundred dollars because it was cool but ultimately passed.

Just ask the CAF poster to list it as a piece of production art like it is?

Jay

This cover was on Ebay a month or two ago. It was listed as production art, not original art. the seller was completely honest about it letting me know it was a stat with a little art around the edges. I was tempted to buy it for a couple hundred dollars because it was cool but ultimately passed.

Jay

The owner of the production art has the following description affixed to the production cover in his CAF:

"I have been advised that this is indeed the Masterboard in production..meaning this is the final step before printing that all the stats were added to, to get the final published cover- so this actual piece is literally the published work, the full image is not pencil/ink (it appears to be professional photo-stat), but there is much done by hand at edges and blend-points that were required to mesh the piece to its' final printable perfection! At any rate, it's still a really neat piece of the history of making comics, and definitely one of the best covers from this story arc!

See comments below to find the lucky owner of the actual 'pencil & pen to paper' original art owner of this work.

Best,

SW"

Sounds fine to me. (shrug)

Jay

The owner of the production art has the following description affixed to the production cover in his CAF:

"I have been advised that this is indeed the Masterboard in production..meaning this is the final step before printing that all the stats were added to, to get the final published cover- so this actual piece is literally the published work, the full image is not pencil/ink (it appears to be professional photo-stat), but there is much done by hand at edges and blend-points that were required to mesh the piece to its' final printable perfection! At any rate, it's still a really neat piece of the history of making comics, and definitely one of the best covers from this story arc!

See comments below to find the lucky owner of the actual 'pencil & pen to paper' original art owner of this work.

Best,

SW"

Except for the fact that I am not sure if that still counts as pencils by John and inks by Tom as it is listed in the credits on that piece.

Jay

Best,

SW"

Except for the fact that I am not sure if that still counts as pencils by John and inks by Tom as it is listed in the credits on that piece.

How about pencils by John and inks by Epson?