• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Smart money? Who buys such a comic and waits 9 years for it to suddenly become hot? Could you have predicted a movie announcement? Pure luck.

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

Wait for some sort of "announcement."

At worst, you'll have a few extra Detective #311s lying around.

And a few 100 dollars lighter.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

The list goes on of books that had little relative value 2-3-4-5 years ago.

This is strange, new territory we're in, but it's also very familiar territory. Everyone's rushing to get the next hot thing. The key to making "money" in comics is to resist the temptation to follow the crowd, to run out and spend money on the next hot thing, and buy what everyone else is not.

At the prices that Tec #311 is selling for, you have essentially nothing to lose. It's not like it's a book that is going to plummet to $1 for NM copies after you've spent those hundreds of dollars. You're not likely to see a loss if you HAVE to sell, which is a wonderful aspect of many collectibles.

Don't like Tec #311? How about Tec #400? Green Lantern #59? Spidey #101? DC Comics Presents #87? Flash #112? Justice League #1 (1987)? Showcase #79? (Showcase is littered with potential, actually.) Blue Beetle #1? Booster Gold #1? All books that were fairly "hot" at one point, but have settled back down to low levels relative to the non-keys around them.

If Legends #3 can "hit"...this crazy market can do anything. Sure, you don't know what will hit, and when...but picking books that were "once hot, now not" is a lot easier than trying to guess what the next Batman Adventures #12 is going to be (if there ever will be another one like that.)

You are off by 100 issues with the Tec #311 play. The smart money was accumulating Tec #411 over the past few years before the big jump. Right now is a good time to still be snapping up Tec #405 (tough in high grade and undervalued - 1st League of Assassins) or Batman #232 instead (this one keeps moving up).

Smart money? Who buys such a comic and waits 9 years for it to suddenly become hot? Could you have predicted a movie announcement? Pure luck.

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

This is strange, new territory we're in, but it's also very familiar territory. Everyone's rushing to get the next hot thing. The key to making "money" in comics is to resist the temptation to follow the crowd, to run out and spend money on the next hot thing, and buy what everyone else is not.

At the prices that Tec #311 is selling for, you have essentially nothing to lose. It's not like it's a book that is going to plummet to $1 for NM copies after you've spent those hundreds of dollars. You're not likely to see a loss if you HAVE to sell, which is a wonderful aspect of many collectibles.

Don't like Tec #311? How about Tec #400? Green Lantern #59? Spidey #101? DC Comics Presents #87? Flash #112? Justice League #1 (1987)? Showcase #79? (Showcase is littered with potential, actually.) Blue Beetle #1? Booster Gold #1? All books that were fairly "hot" at one point, but have settled back down to low levels relative to the non-keys around them.

If Legends #3 can "hit"...this crazy market can do anything. Sure, you don't know what will hit, and when...but picking books that were "once hot, now not" is a lot easier than trying to guess what the next Batman Adventures #12 is going to be (if there ever will be another one like that.)

You are off by 100 issues with the Tec #311 play. The smart money was accumulating Tec #411 over the past few years before the big jump. Right now is a good time to still be snapping up Tec #405 (tough in high grade and undervalued - 1st League of Assassins) or Batman #232 instead (this one keeps moving up).

Buy all of them.

Although, I wouldn't be buying Bats #232.

But the rest...yes. At the prices they are at? Yes.

Snap away.

I've been collecting for almost 40 years. And, yes, I do have Detective 474. I consider myself lucky. I consider myself lucky for having a lot of books that became hot. I'll be honest and say I did not think that some of them would be worth nearly as much as they are now.

The truth is, on comics like Detective 474, it's really something that becomes hot because of external circumstances, like a movie announcement. It was not a highly sought after book for years.

So tell me, how many Detective 474s did you buy prior to the movie announcement, thinking it would become a hot book?

Wow, you just don't get it do you? You've been collecting for 40 years? You don't sound like it. Listen to RMA - he's on the money.

Maybe if you just retract this stoopid comment we can talk. :foryou:

There are plenty of opportunities to buy books and make a great return. Not everything needs to be snapped up for a buck a book, but it is nice when speculative plays out of dollar bins pay off. lol

I'm with this, I buy everything (to my wife's chagrin . . . ) :grin:

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

Buy all of them.

Snap away.

Bats #232 at a discount to GPA is a good buy long term IMHO. That book sells fast at shows, is requested all the time, and is still undervalued even after the gap up over the past year. It was a great buy at its prices 2-3 years from now and will continue to move up.

I am not as certain about the future for books like Tec #400. It was higher in the past due to perceived scarcity in high grade. As more copies have come onto the market in 9.0+ the prices have dropped as they should. The Man-Bat is a nothing character as well, which hurts it in the 1st appearance category.

Another book to keep accumulating while it is still readily available at low prices is Batman #357. I still can't believe how low some dealers price it at relative to what slabbed copies are going for.

I am also wondering if the 1st Nocturna won't jump up at some point as well. That was a decent story arc.

That's my opinion. Calling it stupid is not appreciated.

Another opinion, you're a real .

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

Buy all of them.

Snap away.

Bats #232 at a discount to GPA is a good buy long term IMHO. That book sells fast at shows, is requested all the time, and is still undervalued even after the gap up over the past year. It was a great buy at its prices 2-3 years from now and will continue to move up.

I am not as certain about the future for books like Tec #400. It was higher in the past due to perceived scarcity in high grade. As more copies have come onto the market in 9.0+ the prices have dropped as they should. The Man-Bat is a nothing character as well, which hurts it in the 1st appearance category.

Another book to keep accumulating while it is still readily available at low prices is Batman #357. I still can't believe how low some dealers price it at relative to what slabbed copies are going for.

I am also wondering if the 1st Nocturna won't jump up at some point as well. That was a decent story arc.

It took me a LONG time to sell my 9.8 #232 and I got a lot less for it then I paid.

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

Buy all of them.

Snap away.

Quite possibly the worst "1st appearance" in all of funny books...some guy in a trenchcoat in 3 panels...

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

Buy all of them.

Snap away.

One can only hope.

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

Buy all of them.

Snap away.

Quite possibly the worst "1st appearance" in all of funny books...some guy in a trenchcoat in 3 panels...

:gossip:

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

Buy all of them.

Snap away.

meh. I think the time to buy Bats 232 was 15 years ago. I don't see it pulling a Rocket Raccoon anytime soon.

But how do you know it "was" a great buy 2-3 years from now...? Are you posting from the FUTURE???

:o

The aforementioned Rocket Raccoon. If they can do something with him, they can do something with anyone.

I can't believe that dumb book sells for what it does. 2 panels of Jason Todd from a distance, and a shadow Croc? Please. The real book should be Tec #525. Todd appears in more than a couple of panels, and Croc makes a cover appearance, making it both their first full appearances.

Same with first Harvey Bullock in Tec #441.

I agree with RMA. If you find a book that has some potential and is cheap buy it. Example I keep buying Deathmate Black for 50 cents or less whenever I can. People laugh at that book now but if anything happens with Gen13 well then I'll look like a genius.

You want a tip...?

Buy Detective #311s.

FF #45

FF #36

FF #46

FF #52

Strange Tales #126

Hulk #271

Marvel Preview #7

Marvel Super Heroes #18

New Teen Titans #2

Preacher #1

Sandman #1

DC Comics Presents #49

Batman #417

Micronauts #8

Buy all of them.

Snap away.

meh. I think the time to buy Bats 232 was 15 years ago. I don't see it pulling a Rocket Raccoon anytime soon.

But how do you know it "was" a great buy 2-3 years from now...? Are you posting from the FUTURE???

:o

The aforementioned Rocket Raccoon. If they can do something with him, they can do something with anyone.

I can't believe that dumb book sells for what it does. 2 panels of Jason Todd from a distance, and a shadow Croc? Please. The real book should be Tec #525. Todd appears in more than a couple of panels, and Croc makes a cover appearance, making it both their first full appearances.

Same with first Harvey Bullock in Tec #441.

This is already happening, my friend.

That's my opinion. Calling it stupid is not appreciated.

Another opinion, you're a real .

Your opinion that someone else's opinion is stoopid is ok though? lol:insane:

DC Super-Stars #17 9.8 @ $375, 14 bids & 27 watchers within hours of being posted. 1st Huntress. Was she mentioned on Gotham or something? I can't keep track of all the new budding hot characters coming out in movies and tv shows anymore. Luckily there's a website that does that! ;)

She was in a good part of Season 2 of Arrow