• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I agree with RMA. If you find a book that has some potential and is cheap buy it. Example I keep buying Deathmate Black for 50 cents or less whenever I can. People laugh at that book now but if anything happens with Gen13 well then I'll look like a genius.

I tried that with limited success. I think I bought 10 copies of ASM #252 off the newsstand. But my misses way outpaced the hits. I had quite the hoard of Chamber of Darkness #4 in my day. Somehow "Starr the Slayer" as a 'conan-esque' tryout never really captured the collecting communities imagination. Now I have one nice raw copy, I lost my rear end selling the rest.

Better advice is buy what you enjoy, who knows maybe someone else may enjoy it too. If you hit on the rare gem, sell it and buy more of what you enjoy.

I agree with RMA. If you find a book that has some potential and is cheap buy it. Example I keep buying Deathmate Black for 50 cents or less whenever I can. People laugh at that book now but if anything happens with Gen13 well then I'll look like a genius.

Gen 13 1/2 is also a great book. Incredibly tough to find in 9.8, because of the spine. Gen 13 is a great property, and if they ever do anything with it, the sky's the limit. Sure, there were a bazillion blacks printed, but...how many have been thrown out? Probably more than a dozen.

The gold black is...well...gold.

The only real problem is storage.

I agree with Gen 13 - it is a property waiting to resurface.......

Many Valiant books are at the lowest they've been in years....not Bronze material, but there's potential there.

I sold off all of the Valiants I had accumulated during the first big spike in the early 00s. With the $CDN:$USD exchange rate at the time it was an extra 40-50% on top of the high prices. :banana:

Quite possibly the worst "1st appearance" in all of funny books...some guy in a trenchcoat in 3 panels...

That's why there are two 1st appearances in the book, not just one. lol

True. If it's hot because of Jason Todd, then I can see that. If it's hot because of Croc, then this is the wrong book... ;)

Todd only appears in two panels, from a distance!

Bah! Bah, I say!

Well, if a fist punching a door can qualify as a 1st appearance now this one is fine. lol

It wasn't nine years, but how about seven years?

I started accumulating Daredevil 111s (1st Silver Samurai) back in 2006 in the misguided belief that he'd appear in the first Wolverine solo movie. Any longtime Wolverine fan knows that Wolverine+Japan = Silver Samurai.

And it was fun because that particular issue was hard to find in strict 9.4 or better anyway. Then he didn't appear in the first (atrocious) Wolverine film. Ugh...oops. Needless to say, I did well in 2013.

Same principle today? X-Men 221. Anyone whose read the books knows that Apocalypse means Archangel means Mr. Sinister.

Ditto Moon Knight. Slabbed true auction copies of Werewolf 32 have basically disappeared from the marketplace. Why? Because it's a no-brainer that he'll appear in a movie or Netflix series eventually. Savvy folks are buying now, not 3-5 years hence.

It's not rocket surgery...

If you folks were paying attention about 9 years ago, Tec #474 enjoyed a moderate upswing as part of the whole "Countdown to Infinite Crisis" dealy...in which Deadshot played a prominent part.

Smart money bought then.

I guess I must have misinterpreted your post. (shrug) My response was addressing the idea that 9 years ago Detective 474 was not in demand and nobody could have anticipated such a jump in demand and value. Of course nobody could have expected a movie announcement back then. I just wanted to emphasize that no one could have predicted how extenuating circumstances could cause such demand, especially 9 years ago. Hindsight is 20/20.

Then some insufficiently_thoughtful_person chimes in saying “Nine years is a blink of the eye, but not I guess, if you were in high school 9 years ago . . .” Sorry, but 9 years is a big chunk of one’s life unless you’re immortal. :screwy:

I don't think he understands the Lyria's fundamental theory to collecting that states: once hot and now not - will be hot again. hm

Stolen from yours truly.

:cloud9:

And many other collectors . . . ;)

I’m very familiar with the concept of “once hot, not now.” In fact I heartily agree with it. In the past, like RMA, I bought multiple copies of Starlin Captain Marvel and Warlock comics. But the Detective 474 situation to me is different. I suspect most who bought Detective 474 prior to the announcement were fans of Batman and/or Deadshot or Marshal Rogers and probably didn't buy solely for investment. If you bought Detective 474 for investment prior to the announcement, I salute you.

The time to act (react) was immediately after the announcement. I get it. Not 9 years ago.

If you folks were paying attention about 9 years ago, Tec #474 enjoyed a moderate upswing as part of the whole "Countdown to Infinite Crisis" dealy...in which Deadshot played a prominent part.

Smart money bought then.

I guess I must have misinterpreted your post. (shrug) My response was addressing the idea that 9 years ago Detective 474 was not in demand and nobody could have anticipated such a jump in demand and value. Of course nobody could have expected a movie announcement back then. I just wanted to emphasize that no one could have predicted how extenuating circumstances could cause such demand, especially 9 years ago. Hindsight is 20/20.

Then some insufficiently_thoughtful_person chimes in saying “Nine years is a blink of the eye, but not I guess, if you were in high school 9 years ago . . .” Sorry, but 9 years is a big chunk of one’s life unless you’re immortal. :screwy:

I don't think he understands the Lyria's fundamental theory to collecting that states: once hot and now not - will be hot again. hm

Stolen from yours truly.

:cloud9:

And many other collectors . . . ;)

I’m very familiar with the concept of “once hot, not now.” In fact I heartily agree with it. In the past, like RMA, I bought multiple copies of Starlin Captain Marvel and Warlock comics. But the Detective 474 situation to me is different. I suspect most who bought Detective 474 prior to the announcement were fans of Batman and/or Deadshot or Marshal Rogers and probably didn't buy solely for investment. If you bought Detective 474 for investment prior to the announcement, I salute you.

The time to act (react) was immediately after the announcement. I get it. Not 9 years ago.

Not Bronze, but Marc SPector: Moon Knight 55-60. Buy now.

Not sure why one would expect the Platt run on Moon Knight to catch fire again. The guy abandoned comic books and nothing significant happened during his brief tenure.

The last two dealers who bought stuff from me asked about MK 55 in particular. What's driving the interest? No idea, but it's in demand.

Not sure why one would expect the Platt run on Moon Knight to catch fire again. The guy abandoned comic books and nothing significant happened during his brief tenure.

The last two dealers who bought stuff from me asked about MK 55 in particular. What's driving the interest? No idea, but it's in demand.

Perhaps there's a Rule that talks about things becoming collectible again 25 years later. hm:roflmao:

Every. Single. Time.

Perhaps there's a Rule that talks about things becoming collectible again 25 years later. hm:roflmao:

Every. Single. Time.

So I should hold on to those Magic cards that I've been meaning to sell since the '90s for just a few more years?

Every. Single. Time.

I'm still waiting for Team America #1 to take off :(

Every. Single. Time.

I'm still waiting for Team America #1 to take off :(

In the vein of "once hot, now not", I'm stocking up on Fish Police, and Red Fox, and Elf Lord # 1s :whee:

Movie speculation has gone on w the Elfquest movies since it came out. I have no knowledge what the hold up has been over the decades but I always thought it was the Pini's desire for artistic control and no amount of money would sway them.

If done even remotely correctly that would be a $billion 3 part movie series. Have to figure it will be done eventually Unless the comic movie goes the way of the western.