• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I agree with RMA. If you find a book that has some potential and is cheap buy it. Example I keep buying Deathmate Black for 50 cents or less whenever I can. People laugh at that book now but if anything happens with Gen13 well then I'll look like a genius.

Gen 13 1/2 is also a great book. Incredibly tough to find in 9.8, because of the spine. Gen 13 is a great property, and if they ever do anything with it, the sky's the limit. Sure, there were a bazillion blacks printed, but...how many have been thrown out? Probably more than a dozen.

The gold black is...well...gold.

The only real problem is storage.

Smart money? Who buys such a comic and waits 9 years for it to suddenly become hot? Could you have predicted a movie announcement? Pure luck.

Maybe if you just retract this stoopid comment we can talk. :foryou:

That's my opinion. Calling it stupid is not appreciated.

Another opinion, you're a real .

Your opinion that someone else's opinion is stoopid is ok though? lol:insane:

Where did I say anybody's opinion was stupid? I was saying it was lucky for those who had the comic that a movie announcement was made. Do a poll and see how many people bought multiple copies of that comic 9 years ago in anticipation of a movie. How many times have you heard this expression on these boards, "Who saw it coming?"

Honestly, do you think there were people stockpiling that particular comic because they were betting that there would be a movie announcement 9 years hence? I'm saying most people who have that comic are fortunate and should thank their lucky stars that the price went up because of the announcement. There was little demand for that comic after the initial interest died down. Why would Flying Donut sell one for $3.00 if he knew it was going to pop?

That's still my opinion. And you're still a .

Edited by jaeldubyoo

Smart money? Who buys such a comic and waits 9 years for it to suddenly become hot? Could you have predicted a movie announcement? Pure luck.

Where did I say anybody's opinion was stupid? I was saying it was lucky for those who had the comic that a movie announcement was made. Do a poll and see how many people bought multiple copies of that comic 9 years ago in anticipation of a movie. How many times have you heard this expression on these boards, "Who saw it coming?"

I suspect the answer to your question is :"no one." But that wasn't ever my point. My point was, in 2005, Detective #474 enjoyed a brief fling with hotness, and therefore now had a higher *probability* of making a comeback at some point in the future. If the buying public at some point in time recognized it as special over, say, #473 or #477, and they did, the chances increased that such a book could be popular again someday.

And, that day has come.

At no point did I say, or imply, that "if you were smart, you would have bought the book 9 years ago in anticipation of a movie", firstly, because that would be silly, and secondly, because 9 years ago, "movie announcements = $$$" were still in the future.

Several books that were "once hot, now not" have enjoyed a likewise renaissance in the past few years. New Mutants #87s, you couldn't give away in the late 90's/early 2000's. Same with 98s. Same with Man of Steel #18s. Same with Infinity Gauntlet, and ALL the Starlin 70's stuff (which was hot in the 70's, then dead, then hot again in the early 90's, then dead, now hot again in the 10's.)

I bought scads and scads of Starlin Captain Marvels and Warlocks, in high grade, in the early 00's, for $2-$3-$4 each. I think the most I paid for a Strange Tales #180 was $4.50. Now look. That wasn't in anticipation of Gamora being in GOTG, I assure you. It was because the books had a track record, and therefore had a greater *chance* at becoming popular again...same as Tec #474.

Honestly, do you think there were people stockpiling that particular comic because they were betting that there would be a movie announcement 9 years hence?

No. And no one said anything like that.

I'm saying most people who have that comic are fortunate and should thank their lucky stars that the price went up because of the announcement.

Or, they might be glad that they studied the market, learned how it worked, and reacted accordingly.

I suspect the answer to your question is :"no one." But that wasn't ever my point. My point was, in 2005, Detective #474 enjoyed a brief fling with hotness, and therefore now had a higher *probability* of making a comeback at some point in the future. If the buying public at some point in time recognized it as special over, say, #473 or #477, and they did, the chances increased that such a book could be popular again someday.

And, that day has come.

At no point did I say, or imply, that "if you were smart, you would have bought the book 9 years ago in anticipation of a movie", firstly, because that would be silly, and secondly, because 9 years ago, "movie announcements = $$$" were still in the future.

Several books that were "once hot, now not" have enjoyed a likewise renaissance in the past few years. New Mutants #87s, you couldn't give away in the late 90's/early 2000's. Same with 98s. Same with Man of Steel #18s. Same with Infinity Gauntlet, and ALL the Starlin 70's stuff (which was hot in the 70's, then dead, then hot again in the early 90's, then dead, now hot again in the 10's.)

I bought scads and scads of Starlin Captain Marvels and Warlocks, in high grade, in the early 00's, for $2-$3-$4 each. I think the most I paid for a Strange Tales #180 was $4.50. Now look. That wasn't in anticipation of Gamora being in GOTG, I assure you. It was because the books had a track record, and therefore had a greater *chance* at becoming popular again...same as Tec #474.

Honestly, do you think there were people stockpiling that particular comic because they were betting that there would be a movie announcement 9 years hence?

No. And no one said anything like that.

I'm saying most people who have that comic are fortunate and should thank their lucky stars that the price went up because of the announcement.

Or, they might be glad that they studied the market, learned how it worked, and reacted accordingly.

I don't think he understands the Lyria's fundamental theory to collecting that states: once hot and now not - will be hot again. hm

Edited by whetteon

I don't think he understands the Lyria's fundamental theory to collecting that states: once hot and now not - will be hot again. hm

Stolen from yours truly.

:cloud9:

And many other collectors . . . ;)

It took me a LONG time to sell my 9.8 #232 and I got a lot less for it then I paid.

Sorry, but chasing 9.8/9.9/10.0 of any BA/CA book is a mistake as there will likely be another one around the corner. I keep 9.4s for my personal collection and dump 9.8s as soon as they come in.

meh. I think the time to buy Bats 232 was 15 years ago. I don't see it pulling a Rocket Raccoon anytime soon.

But how do you know it "was" a great buy 2-3 years from now...? Are you posting from the FUTURE???

:o

I am not as certain about the future for books like Tec #400. It was higher in the past due to perceived scarcity in high grade. As more copies have come onto the market in 9.0+ the prices have dropped as they should. The Man-Bat is a nothing character as well, which hurts it in the 1st appearance category.

The aforementioned Rocket Raccoon. If they can do something with him, they can do something with anyone.

The problem with Tec #400 is that it started at an unsustainable price to begin with as it was perceived to be hard to find in high grade. As more HG copies have come onto the market the prices have adjusted accordingly. In addition, the Man-Bat is a rather lame character.......

With Ra's playing a prominent role in Season 3 of Arrow, it looks like WB/DC will start to feature the character more which will help to increase the value of Batman #232. The book has always been undervalued due to the perceived availability of copies, but they are few and far between with other dealers at the shows up here............

I agree with RMA. If you find a book that has some potential and is cheap buy it. Example I keep buying Deathmate Black for 50 cents or less whenever I can. People laugh at that book now but if anything happens with Gen13 well then I'll look like a genius.

Gen 13 1/2 is also a great book. Incredibly tough to find in 9.8, because of the spine. Gen 13 is a great property, and if they ever do anything with it, the sky's the limit. Sure, there were a bazillion blacks printed, but...how many have been thrown out? Probably more than a dozen.

I agree with Gen 13 - it is a property waiting to resurface.......

Quite possibly the worst "1st appearance" in all of funny books...some guy in a trenchcoat in 3 panels...

That's why there are two 1st appearances in the book, not just one. lol

True. If it's hot because of Jason Todd, then I can see that. If it's hot because of Croc, then this is the wrong book... ;)

Can you really get away with scantilly clad, anotomically incorrect drek these days? In the 90's that was all the rage. Seems like the only successful books are the ones with great writing these days. They're going to have to do a major overhaul to Gen13 if they want to sniff Issue #30...

Can you really get away with scantilly clad, anotomically incorrect drek these days? In the 90's that was all the rage. Seems like the only successful books are the ones with great writing these days. They're going to have to do a major overhaul to Gen13 if they want to sniff Issue #30...

Agreed, but other anatomically incorrect and scantilly clad characters are still out there (Power Girl anyone?) and with Jim Lee taking a bigger role with DC he may be able to find some way to rescue it from the heap.

meh. I think the time to buy Bats 232 was 15 years ago. I don't see it pulling a Rocket Raccoon anytime soon.

But how do you know it "was" a great buy 2-3 years from now...? Are you posting from the FUTURE???

I am not as certain about the future for books like Tec #400. It was higher in the past due to perceived scarcity in high grade. As more copies have come onto the market in 9.0+ the prices have dropped as they should. The Man-Bat is a nothing character as well, which hurts it in the 1st appearance category.

The aforementioned Rocket Raccoon. If they can do something with him, they can do something with anyone.

The problem with Tec #400 is that it started at an unsustainable price to begin with as it was perceived to be hard to find in high grade. As more HG copies have come onto the market the prices have adjusted accordingly. In addition, the Man-Bat is a rather lame character.......

With Ra's playing a prominent role in Season 3 of Arrow, it looks like WB/DC will start to feature the character more which will help to increase the value of Batman #232. The book has always been undervalued due to the perceived availability of copies, but they are few and far between with other dealers at the shows up here............

I'd still like to know how you're posting from the future.

;)

Quite possibly the worst "1st appearance" in all of funny books...some guy in a trenchcoat in 3 panels...

That's why there are two 1st appearances in the book, not just one. lol

True. If it's hot because of Jason Todd, then I can see that. If it's hot because of Croc, then this is the wrong book... ;)

Todd only appears in two panels, from a distance!

Bah! Bah, I say!

;)

:taptaptap:

Answer the question, kimik.

And, are the Oilers still in last place in your time. :baiting:

;)

:taptaptap:

Answer the question, kimik.

And, are the Oilers still in last place in your time. :baiting:

Alberta is for the birds.

I would recommend the gold instead, it's still cheap to be had and a big difference in print run, 10k vs several hundred thousand.

Many Valiant books are at the lowest they've been in years....not Bronze material, but there's potential there.