• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,721 posts in this topic

I don't think they're calling it 1st pre defenders (which isn't a thing). I think they're saying its "pre '1st defenders'". but I may have read something wrong. And I think a lot if not most agree that its kind of like a pre-defenders type thingy. Or that's how I viewed it.

You meet a girl at work, do a project together. After the project, you start dating. You weren't dating during the project, but if you end up getting married (or having a long term relationship), it makes sense to note that 1st project as having some meaning.

She-Hulk #1 disappearing fast when "the view" announced the new Marvel series, A-Force, an Avengers team lead by She-Hulk and Dazzler.

hm

Mey, why not? (shrug):headbang:

Didn't someone on here just buy 500 Dazzler 1's?

Trust me there are LOTS MORE where those came from.

I think you may have read too many romance comics. lol

But I get what you're trying to say. It is when some of the core members first get together as a "team" to use that term loosely.

I read just the right amount of romance novels.

Side Rant: 50 Shades of Grey was one of the worst books in the history of writing. I take no issue with the 'controversial' content, people can write/read about what they like. But its written like a 14 year old girl who is struggling at continuation school who is fantasizing about what it must be like to (but obviously will never) attend university. The sentence and paragraph composition, the trite descriptions, the awkward pacing of the 'spicier' scenes, its all trash through and through, and not at all innovative in terms of content or in any other way. I have no idea why it caught on with anyone. I don't feel dirtier for having read it, just dumber, and sadder than anyone likes it, let alone everyone. It doesn't make you want to tie any one up, unless you count wanting to tie up the author so they can't write any more of these drivel books.

If you're into that type of stuff but also into well written books, go read old Anne Rice stuff.

Avengers #71 is a great, great book.

But it's not the first Invaders. The first Invaders is Giant-Size Invaders #1 from 1975.

The idea that the group of heroes in Avengers #71 were the Invaders was a retcon introduced in Invaders Annual #1 in 1977, two years after the Invaders debuted, and 8 years after Avengers #71.

Avengers #71 is neither the team's first appearance in the real world (that would be GS Invaders #1), nor is it even their first appearance in continuity, as they had already been a team for 16 issues before this story took place.

This is like saying that X-Men #201 is the first appearance of Cable, only even less accurate.

It's a great comic and one of my favorite Avengers stories, so I certainly encourage everyone to get it. But it is not the first Invaders. I don't think it's even a prototype like Sub-Mariner #34 supposedly is. It's just Roy Thomas using any excuse he can to include Golden Age characters.

Edited by Crimebuster

I don't think they're calling it 1st pre defenders (which isn't a thing). I think they're saying its "pre '1st defenders'". but I may have read something wrong. And I think a lot if not most agree that its kind of like a pre-defenders type thingy. Or that's how I viewed it.

You meet a girl at work, do a project together. After the project, you start dating. You weren't dating during the project, but if you end up getting married (or having a long term relationship), it makes sense to note that 1st project as having some meaning.

Kind of like Brave and the Bold 54 but with the Defenders.

Avengers #71 is a great, great book.

But it's not the first Invaders. The first Invaders is Giant-Size Invaders #1 from 1975.

The idea that the group of heroes in Avengers #71 were the Invaders was a retcon introduced in Invaders Annual #1 in 1977, two years after the Invaders debuted, and 8 years after Avengers #71.

Avengers #71 is neither the team's first appearance in the real world (that would be GS Invaders #1), nor is it even their first appearance in continuity, as they had already been a team for 16 issues before this story took place.

This is like saying that X-Men #201 is the first appearance of Cable, only even less accurate.

It's a great comic and one of my favorite Avengers stories, so I certainly encourage everyone to get it. But it is not the first Invaders. I don't think it's even a prototype like Sub-Mariner #34 supposedly is. It's just Roy Thomas using any excuse he can to include Golden Age characters.

This gentleman knows his stuff. Upon further review, I will backtrack on the 71 until I can give it a good read.

All that matters is whether the market decides that Avengers #71 is the 1st Invaders or not. :preach:

;)

The market can decide that Avengers #71 is worth a million dollars - in fact, I highly encourage this - but it won't change reality.

Edited by Crimebuster

Oh no he didn't! :o

hm

Oh no he didn't! :o

hm

As much as the current focus on cover appearances (good or bad) is, the fact B&B54 doesn't say "Teen Titans" on it and B&B 60 sure does, could accelerate the rethink on 54's mistaken status as their first appearance. We shall see.

All that matters is whether the market decides that Avengers #71 is the 1st Invaders or not. :preach:

;)

The market can decide that Avengers #71 is worth a million dollars - in fact, I highly encourage this - but it won't change reality.

Although the book has been considered as such, I trust hands down Crimebuster on the Invaders. In fact, I still need a Giant-Size Invaders although I have a #71 so I must pick one. I am also not 100% sure I already have an Invaders #1 – too many things to remember! :P

Just curious why you feel that way? It has been thought of that way for at least the last 30 years. It is listed in Overstreet that way under Sub-Mariner 34 & also noted as a pre-appearance under Marvel Feature #1. I understand everyone has their own opinion, but this one seems pretty obvious.

I reply on his behalf, since I am pretty much into the Defenders, say like I am crazy about them! lol

Sub-Mariner #34-35 is not properly a pre-Defenders story, or it might be just that in part. The main story arc which can be considered a gathering of sorts is the one from which Thomas gets the idea for the series: Hulk #126 / Sub-Mariner #21 / Dr. Strange #183 – here we are introduced to the nether-demons Nameless Ones, because of which Barbara Norriss loses her mind (her and her husband Jack were dabbling with the demonic cult of the aforementioned) and it’s where Dr. Strange first meets with both Hulk and Namor. And all of this of course happens before Sub-Mariner #34-35.

It‘s not by chance that Englehart, when starts the series in Defenders #1 ideally picks up once again the Nameless Ones as the enemy, and the Valkyrie of course gets in the body of Barbara Norriss, while Barbara’s insane mind is trapped in the Valkyrie's body. So Hulk #126 is the first Barbara, Hulk #142 is the first Valkyrie (in this first apperance she is in the body of Samantha Parrington), while Avengers #83 just shows the Enchantress disguised as the Valkyrie, and thus does not represent the first apperance of the Valkyrie even if it should have come out earlier, I believe.

I think you may have read too many romance comics. lol

But I get what you're trying to say. It is when some of the core members first get together as a "team" to use that term loosely.

I read just the right amount of romance novels.

Side Rant: 50 Shades of Grey was one of the worst books in the history of writing. I take no issue with the 'controversial' content, people can write/read about what they like. But its written like a 14 year old girl who is struggling at continuation school who is fantasizing about what it must be like to (but obviously will never) attend university. The sentence and paragraph composition, the trite descriptions, the awkward pacing of the 'spicier' scenes, its all trash through and through, and not at all innovative in terms of content or in any other way. I have no idea why it caught on with anyone. I don't feel dirtier for having read it, just dumber, and sadder than anyone likes it, let alone everyone. It doesn't make you want to tie any one up, unless you count wanting to tie up the author so they can't write any more of these drivel books.

If you're into that type of stuff but also into well written books, go read old Anne Rice stuff.

lol

What do you expect from garbage that started out as Twilight fan fiction? I have no idea how it ended up being picked up and published by a real book publisher.

Anyway, events that occurred previous to the formation of a team can be important and relevant, but a team does not exist until it's officially formed.

;)

Although the book has been considered as such, I trust hands down Crimebuster on the Invaders. In fact, I still need a Giant-Size Invaders although I have a #71 so I must pick one. I am also not 100% sure I already have an Invaders #1 – too many things to remember! :P

Just curious why you feel that way? It has been thought of that way for at least the last 30 years. It is listed in Overstreet that way under Sub-Mariner 34 & also noted as a pre-appearance under Marvel Feature #1. I understand everyone has their own opinion, but this one seems pretty obvious.

I reply on his behalf, since I am pretty much into the Defenders, say like I am crazy about them! lol

Sub-Mariner #34-35 is not properly a pre-Defenders story, or it might be just that in part. The main story arc which can be considered a gathering of sorts is the one from which Thomas gets the idea for the series: Hulk #126 / Sub-Mariner #21 / Dr. Strange #183 – here we are introduced to the nether-demons Nameless Ones, because of which Barbara Norriss loses her mind (her and her husband Jack were dabbling with the demonic cult of the aforementioned) and it’s where Dr. Strange first meets with both Hulk and Namor. And all of this of course happens before Sub-Mariner #34-35.

It‘s not by chance that Englehart, when starts the series in Defenders #1 ideally picks up once again the Nameless Ones as the enemy, and the Valkyrie of course gets in the body of Barbara Norriss, while Barbara’s insane mind is trapped in the Valkyrie's body. So Hulk #126 is the first Barbara, Hulk #142 is the first Valkyrie (in this first apperance she is in the body of Samantha Parrington), while Avengers #83 just shows the Enchantress disguised as the Valkyrie, and thus does not represent the first apperance of the Valkyrie even if it should have come out earlier, I believe.

Avengers 83 is still the 1st time the Valkyrie name and costume was used, 9 months before Hulk 142, so Avengers is the one to chase IMO

Daredevil #168 CGC 9.6 @ $327 & 20 bids.

Avengers Annual #7 CGC 9.6 @ $225 in a BIN

Sub Mariner #34 CGC 9.8 @ $727 & 40 bids.

Some interesting auctions. Congrats to the buyers and the sellers. (thumbs u

Calling Sub-Mariner #34 1st Pre Defenders is basically a lie.

It also says it on the CGC label. Can't pin this on the seller, though if you want to call CGC liars, that's fine.

sub-Mariner 34 features Subby, Hulk and Surfer. The Original Defenders are Subby, Hulk and Strange and Hulk leaves in the first issue according to the wikia.

So two members appearing in the same book constitute the "team"?

As an example, did Iron Man, Hulk and / or Thor ever meet before Avengers 1?

It also says it on the CGC label. Can't pin this on the seller, though if you want to call CGC liars, that's fine.

sub-Mariner 34 features Subby, Hulk and Surfer. The Original Defenders are Subby, Hulk and Strange and Hulk leaves in the first issue according to the wikia.

I don't think they did. I'm also not sure why wiki says Hulk left the Defenders after #1, he's prominently featured on the majority of covers all the way up through #93.

I mean, I'm mostly with you, I always thought this was a little iffy in terms of being a direct setup for Defenders. It's an interesting crossover that may have placed a seed in Roy Thomas's mind for later. That's more or less it though.

But the seller for this auction didn't do anything wrong. He was just citing the CGC label.

I'm assuming that you have arrived at your conclusion without ever having read Marvel Feature #1? In Marvel Feature #1 (The 1st Defenders) Strange seeks out Namor for help.

Namor agrees to help & suggests they locate The Hulk & Silver Surfer because the had fought as allies in a previous battle. They were able to locate the Hulk but the Silver Surfer was unconscious after trying to break the hidden barrier that trapped him on earth. So they went into battle without the Silver Surfer.

Yes, the Hulk left after the first battle, as did Strange & Namor. They all 3 got back together in the next issue (which I am assuming you didn't read either).