• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I suppose the whole argument is just based on semantics. The general public accepts that 181 is the first appearance because they are told (by the CGC and other grading companies) that it is.

It was thought of as his first appearance way before CGC ever came into existence.

I suppose the whole argument is just based on semantics. The general public accepts that 181 is the first appearance because they are told (by the CGC and other grading companies) that it is.

It was thought of as his first appearance way before CGC ever came into existence.

Not so. Would love to see any kind of guide listing that put 181 as his first with no mention of his actual first (cameo, whatever) in 180. Link? Scan?

marvel cards series 1 from 1990 lists the first appearance of wolverine as Hulk 180 (thumbs u

That's because 180 is his first appearance.

It just happens to be a cameo in one panel, and fans have always sought the 1st cover and full appearance over it.

I have owned 2 #181's, and I still have them. My oldie but goodie one my parents bought me many moons ago, and a 9.6 I just got this year.

I (hopefully) will never sell either.

I still own a raw #180 I got about the same time I got the first #181. It got no where near the attention that my #181 did as I grew up collecting.

It has been my favorite comic since I can remember.

Hulk 181 was established as the money book well before CGC came on the scene. There are many variables that go into these things. Slim is right, 180 is first. However, most collectors feel that 181 is more significant and therefore are willing to pay more for. It's ok if the money book is not the first appearance. There is no formula for these things, that's what makes the hobby fun. Collecting is an art not a science, have fun and collect what you love (thumbs u

I totally agree with everything you are saying. The market has decided that #181 is the money book - and I am fine with that. I just try and let people know that it isn't the first appearance of Wolverine

;)

-slym

I've never owned a copy of 180 or 181. Too tough to find them for less then FMV. I see a slight "deal" every now and then but its gone before I can think about it.

That depends on who is determining "fair"

Not so. Would love to see any kind of guide listing that put 181 as his first with no mention of his actual first (cameo, whatever) in 180. Link? Scan?

Absolutely yes so. #181 is broken out in the Overstreet for the first time in issue #8 (1978) and remained that way for the next three years, until Overstreet #11 hit the stands and for the first time listed #180 as a cameo.

F363960B-5481-4934-857B-D35B0D10342A.jpg

Jim

Absolutely yes so. #181 is broken out in the Overstreet for the first time in issue #8 (1978) and remained that way for the next three years, until Overstreet #11 hit the stands and for the first time listed #180 as a cameo.

F363960B-5481-4934-857B-D35B0D10342A.jpg

Jim

My apologies. But, c'mon, I think the bigger point here is that it wasn't a big deal--look how it's priced compared to the Doc Samson and Warlock appearances. I think once people actually started caring about it, people realized quickly that he made his big, splashy panel debut in 180.

Hulk 181 was established as the money book well before CGC came on the scene. There are many variables that go into these things. Slim is right, 180 is first. However, most collectors feel that 181 is more significant and therefore are willing to pay more for. It's ok if the money book is not the first appearance. There is no formula for these things, that's what makes the hobby fun. Collecting is an art not a science, have fun and collect what you love (thumbs u

I totally agree with everything you are saying. The market has decided that #181 is the money book - and I am fine with that. I just try and let people know that it isn't the first appearance of Wolverine

;)

-slym

I've never owned a copy of 180 or 181. Too tough to find them for less then FMV. I see a slight "deal" every now and then but its gone before I can think about it.

I owned a 180 once (and an 182) but never a 181. It was always too expensive for me lol:tonofbricks:

Walverine

A term Michigan State fans/students label anyone who cheers for the University of Michigan Wolverines because of their severe inferiority complex. They claim the term is only used against people who poke fun at MSU, but some now use the term completely unprovoked to question Wolverine fans/students on their affiliation with the school.

According to MSU fans/students, you're a "Walverine" if you fall under any one of the following categories:

1.) You are not from Michigan.

2.) You are from Michigan and have never attended college.

3.) You have attended college, but not at the University of Michigan.

4.) You have family members who went there, but you did not attend.

5.) You are a student as either an undergrad or grad at either one of U of M's two satellite campuses (Flint or Dearborn).

6.) You are an undergraduate student at U of M's main campus in Ann Arbor, but enrolled in something they deem "too easy" like LSA or Art.

7.) You are a graduate student, but not studying Engineering, Medicine, Law, etc.

8.) You're breathing and wearing the color blue.

U of M Fan: Go Blue!

MSU Fan: Hey, where'd you go to school?

U of M Fan: CMU, why?

MSU Fan: HA! WALVERINE!

U of M Fan: Where did you go to school?

MSU Fan: Why MSU. Why everyone who cheers for MSU goes to MSU. Duh.