• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

That's fine & good, but the fact that 181 costs more doesn't mean that it's Wolverine's first appearance.

Nor does it make IM 305 the Hulkbuster Armor's 1st appearance.

:)

technically 181 is the 2nd app because 180 is a cameo or the first but I go with what is worth more

While that is your perogative, let me ask you this, and this is a "yes" or "no" only question -

Did Wolverine appear in IH #180, and did #180 come out before #181?

Technically, two plus two equals four.

...okay?

-slym

That's fine & good, but the fact that 181 costs more doesn't mean that it's Wolverine's first appearance.

technically 181 is the 2nd app because 180 is a cameo or the first but I go with what is worth more

While that is your perogative, let me ask you this, and this is a "yes" or "no" only question -

my answer is yes

Then there's all anyone needs to know.

180 = first appearance (a cameo can be a first appearance, IDK why people are so reluctant to accept that)

181 = second appearance

-slym

my answer is yes

180 = first appearance (a cameo can be a first appearance, IDK why people are so reluctant to accept that)

181 = second appearance

-slym

You interject your Hulk 180/181 point in many threads. Why?

I have similarly strong beliefs regarding TTA 27/35 but I mostly leave it alone because it's been debated a million times before and frankly it's a pointless battle.

So what gives, Slym?

I have similarly strong beliefs regarding TTA 27/35 but I mostly leave it alone because it's been debated a million times before and frankly it's a pointless battle.

So what gives, Slym?

His mattress is stuffed with Hulk 180's. :)

I suppose the whole argument is just based on semantics. The general public accepts that 181 is the first appearance because they are told (by the CGC and other grading companies) that it is.

I wouldn't credit CGC or any other grading company with establishing that as the first appearance. There's like a bazillion threads about it.

I suppose the whole argument is just based on semantics. The general public accepts that 181 is the first appearance because they are told (by the CGC and other grading companies) that it is.

I wouldn't credit CGC or any other grading company with establishing that as the first appearance. There's like a bazillion threads about it.
Hulk 181 was established as the money book well before CGC came on the scene. There are many variables that go into these things. Slim is right, 180 is first. However, most collectors feel that 181 is more significant and therefore are willing to pay more for. It's ok if the money book is not the first appearance. There is no formula for these things, that's what makes the hobby fun. Collecting is an art not a science, have fun and collect what you love (thumbs u

Slim is right, 180 is first. However, most collectors feel that 181 is more significant and therefore are willing to pay more for. It's ok if the money book is not the first appearance. There is no formula for these things, that's what makes the hobby fun. Collecting is an art not a science, have fun and collect what you love (thumbs u

(thumbs u

i always thought covers played a big part in how the market trends

It certainly plays well for me . . . no dispute 180 is 1st App, but give me 181 ALL DAY LONG! :sumo:

I love me some 1st Cover Apps - especially the dominant ones - much more meaningful to me from a collecting standpoint.

I agree.

Nothing quite like a 1st full appearance with a classic cover.

I second that whatever makes me more money I buy :)

Well that would depend on what you paid too right? And how much room there is for something to grow?

It's pretty hard to grab a 181 cheap because of how well known it is, and the obvious cover. Many of us would rather spend fifty to make fifty then spend 1000 to make a hundred. Especially with shipping and insurance and taxes

If youre just in it for $$ consider your percentages, and where the value is.

In many cases 180 is a better value

Edited by Revat

my answer is yes

181 = second appearance

So what gives, Slym?

I don't just come out of the blue with it. Either someone is talking about the Hulk books themselves, or a 1st cameo/"1st full appearance" that is very similar to IH 180 & 181.

So, I don't really interject this point, it comes out naturally.

;)

-slym

So what gives, Slym?

His mattress is stuffed with Hulk 180's. :)

I wish! I have never owned a #180, and only one ragged copy of #181 that I sold to a board member here a few years back.

-slym

Hulk 181 was established as the money book well before CGC came on the scene. There are many variables that go into these things. Slim is right, 180 is first. However, most collectors feel that 181 is more significant and therefore are willing to pay more for. It's ok if the money book is not the first appearance. There is no formula for these things, that's what makes the hobby fun. Collecting is an art not a science, have fun and collect what you love (thumbs u

I totally agree with everything you are saying. The market has decided that #181 is the money book - and I am fine with that. I just try and let people know that it isn't the first appearance of Wolverine

;)

-slym

I totally agree with everything you are saying. The market has decided that #181 is the money book - and I am fine with that. I just try and let people know that it isn't the first appearance of Wolverine

;)

-slym

I've never owned a copy of 180 or 181. Too tough to find them for less then FMV. I see a slight "deal" every now and then but its gone before I can think about it.