• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

100% agree. Ist Appearances became valuable because fans wanted to read a popular characters first story, which usually also contained their origin, their first costume, their first battle.

Especially if it's a brawl with the Incredible Hulk.

People tend to forget *why* first appearances are valuable historically in the hobby and instead search for some character peeking up from behind a couch or something. :boo:

180 = first appearance (a cameo can be a first appearance, IDK why people are so reluctant to accept that)

Do I really need to go into this again?

Did you ever read comics as a kid? As in READ them just to READ them and experience the stories, follow your favorite characters, etc.?

Well I did, and before sportscard dealers brought this whole "rookie card" mentality to comics in the late-80's, people actually READ these things, so ask yourself this:

If you are looking to READ and collect a back issue (remember, there were no TPBs) about your fave character's past exploits, would you choose:

a) a comic with the first single panel of your fave character and no cover appearance.

or

b) a comic with the first entire story about your fave character and an action cover image.

That's why "first FULL appearances/covers" were more popular and worth more historically pre-CGC, and will continue to be, as in the CGC entombed comic world, covers mean more than ever.

I really appreciate this post. The attention that the Marvel movies brought to the hobby has been a mixed blessing. I love selling books that were drek a few years ago for three and four figures and buying books that I really love. But, it seems that the hobby is losing it's connection with the stories inside the books and trying to develop a formulaic approach to predicting what books will yield the most profit. Profit is fine, but if you pillage the soul from the hobby, you will kill the golden goose, which is what I believe was the root of the 90's crash. The soul of the hobby is storytelling that people connect with and enjoy. The hobby sold it's soul and paid big time.

180 = first appearance (a cameo can be a first appearance, IDK why people are so reluctant to accept that)

Did you ever read comics as a kid? As in READ them just to READ them and experience the stories, follow your favorite characters, etc.?

Well I did, and before sportscard dealers brought this whole "rookie card" mentality to comics in the late-80's, people actually READ these things, so ask yourself this:

If you are looking to READ and collect a back issue (remember, there were no TPBs) about your fave character's past exploits, would you choose:

a) a comic with the first single panel of your fave character and no cover appearance.

or

b) a comic with the first entire story about your fave character and an action cover image.

That's why "first FULL appearances/covers" were more popular and worth more historically pre-CGC, and will continue to be, as in the CGC entombed comic world, covers mean more than ever.

I really appreciate this post. The attention that the Marvel movies brought to the hobby has been a mixed blessing. I love selling books that were drek a few years ago for three and four figures and buying books that I really love. But, it seems that the hobby is losing it's connection with the stories inside the books and trying to develop a formulaic approach to predicting what books will yield the most profit. Profit is fine, but if you pillage the soul from the hobby, you will kill the golden goose, which is what I believe was the root of the 90's crash. The soul of the hobby is storytelling that people connect with and enjoy. The hobby sold it's soul and paid big time.

So ahhhhh........ We're in agreement that Hulk 180 is the 1st appearance then?

People tend to forget *why* first appearances are valuable historically in the hobby and instead search for some character peeking up from behind a couch or something. :boo:

I laughed because that made me think of this...

img-2696880-1-jesus.gif

I actually got more of a Tony Wonder image. :roflmao: Perfect analogy though.

-J.

img-2696880-1-jesus.gif

-J.

It's obviously a generational thing, as I think of Lucy (Lucille Ball in I love . . . ) :)

img-2696880-1-jesus.gif

-J.

It's obviously a generational thing, as I think of Lucy (Lucille Ball in I love . . . ) :)

I had to google Lucille Ball

I sold a nice copy of DD176 today for $49.99

:o 1st Stick? Dang, I really need to pull out my DD's then. What others are hot like this? Sorry haven't been around much on the boards. :(

I have a feeling issue #178 will be important with all the Netflix shows.

First meeting of Powerman and Iron Fist with DD.

(shrug) Am I missing something, looks normal to me?

Hard to tell the grade from the picture, but that could be a nice score if it's not ebay "hi-grade"

(shrug) Am I missing something, looks normal to me?

Hard to tell the grade from the picture, but that could be a nice score if it's not ebay "hi-grade"

I was watching that book and it's the highest price for a "high grade" raw. Some of the other books that seller recently sold defy any logic. Had my eye on their Crime Suspenstories, really nice with a light sub crease. No way is that a $150 book. Sorry. Fishy

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Golden-Age-193855-/66/i.html?_sop=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40|R40&_nkw=crime+suspenstories+25

or

You don't need to shoehorn a first appearance label onto a particular issue just because it is the more sought after book among a character's early appearances. You add more legitimacy to the book by separating it from being associated with a character's first appearance, as it is then allowed to stand on its own. You don't need to call 181 the first appearance of Wolverine to sell it as a desirable issue, the cover and it being his first fight with hulk are enough.