• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I suppose the whole argument is just based on semantics. The general public accepts that 181 is the first appearance because they are told (by the CGC and other grading companies) that it is.

It was thought of as his first appearance way before CGC ever came into existence.

Not so. Would love to see any kind of guide listing that put 181 as his first with no mention of his actual first (cameo, whatever) in 180. Link? Scan?

180 was always considered a cameo, never said it wasn't.

I suppose the whole argument is just based on semantics. The general public accepts that 181 is the first appearance because they are told (by the CGC and other grading companies) that it is.

It was thought of as his first appearance way before CGC ever came into existence.

Not so. Would love to see any kind of guide listing that put 181 as his first with no mention of his actual first (cameo, whatever) in 180. Link? Scan?

Absolutely yes so. #181 is broken out in the Overstreet for the first time in issue #8 (1978) and remained that way for the next three years, until Overstreet #11 hit the stands and for the first time listed #180 as a cameo.

F363960B-5481-4934-857B-D35B0D10342A.jpg

Jim

My apologies. But, c'mon, I think the bigger point here is that it wasn't a big deal--look how it's priced compared to the Doc Samson and Warlock appearances. I think once people actually started caring about it, people realized quickly that he made his big, splashy panel debut in 180.

That's just not true. Once the character began picking up steam, 181 commanded a premium over 180. I can remember as early as 1982 181 being a $20 wall book at a few stores around Chicago with 180, 182 still being in the back issue bins.

Absolutely yes so. #181 is broken out in the Overstreet for the first time in issue #8 (1978) and remained that way for the next three years, until Overstreet #11 hit the stands and for the first time listed #180 as a cameo.

F363960B-5481-4934-857B-D35B0D10342A.jpg

Jim

My apologies. But, c'mon, I think the bigger point here is that it wasn't a big deal--look how it's priced compared to the Doc Samson and Warlock appearances. I think once people actually started caring about it, people realized quickly that he made his big, splashy panel debut in 180.

That's just not true. Once the character began picking up steam, 181 commanded a premium over 180. I can remember as early as 1982 181 being a $20 wall book at a few stores around Chicago with 180, 182 still being in the back issue bins.

Agreed, nobody has ever cared until recently (ten years or so). If anything CGC has made #180 as popular as it is, not the other way around. I've owned 100-200 copies of Hulk #181 in my lifetime, have never even held a #180 in my life. I still don't care about #180 as a book. It holds the same stature to me personally as #179 or #183. And I didn't need Overstreet or CGC to tell me that. I made that decision at 12 years old on my own volition in 1985.

Jim

Edited by Guardian Comics

Walverine

A term Michigan State fans/students label anyone who cheers for the University of Michigan Wolverines because of their severe inferiority complex. They claim the term is only used against people who poke fun at MSU, but some now use the term completely unprovoked to question Wolverine fans/students on their affiliation with the school.

According to MSU fans/students, you're a "Walverine" if you fall under any one of the following categories:

1.) You are not from Michigan.

2.) You are from Michigan and have never attended college.

3.) You have attended college, but not at the University of Michigan.

4.) You have family members who went there, but you did not attend.

5.) You are a student as either an undergrad or grad at either one of U of M's two satellite campuses (Flint or Dearborn).

6.) You are an undergraduate student at U of M's main campus in Ann Arbor, but enrolled in something they deem "too easy" like LSA or Art.

7.) You are a graduate student, but not studying Engineering, Medicine, Law, etc.

8.) You're breathing and wearing the color blue.

U of M Fan: Go Blue!

MSU Fan: Hey, where'd you go to school?

U of M Fan: CMU, why?

MSU Fan: HA! WALVERINE!

U of M Fan: Where did you go to school?

MSU Fan: Why MSU. Why everyone who cheers for MSU goes to MSU. Duh.

lol this was weird. I don't think anybody at Michigan State has an inferiority complex over any other school. Haha, funny.

Walverine

A term Michigan State fans/students label anyone who cheers for the University of Michigan Wolverines because of their severe inferiority complex. They claim the term is only used against people who poke fun at MSU, but some now use the term completely unprovoked to question Wolverine fans/students on their affiliation with the school.

According to MSU fans/students, you're a "Walverine" if you fall under any one of the following categories:

1.) You are not from Michigan.

2.) You are from Michigan and have never attended college.

3.) You have attended college, but not at the University of Michigan.

4.) You have family members who went there, but you did not attend.

5.) You are a student as either an undergrad or grad at either one of U of M's two satellite campuses (Flint or Dearborn).

6.) You are an undergraduate student at U of M's main campus in Ann Arbor, but enrolled in something they deem "too easy" like LSA or Art.

7.) You are a graduate student, but not studying Engineering, Medicine, Law, etc.

8.) You're breathing and wearing the color blue.

U of M Fan: Go Blue!

MSU Fan: Hey, where'd you go to school?

U of M Fan: CMU, why?

MSU Fan: HA! WALVERINE!

U of M Fan: Where did you go to school?

MSU Fan: Why MSU. Why everyone who cheers for MSU goes to MSU. Duh.

:)

Agreed, nobody has ever cared until recently (ten years or so). If anything CGC has made #180 as popular as it is, not the other way around. I've owned 100-200 copies of Hulk #181 in my lifetime, have never even held a #180 in my life. I still don't care about #180 as a book. It holds the same stature to me personally as #179 or #183. And I didn't need Overstreet or CGC to tell me that. I made that decision at 12 years old on my own volition in 1985.

Jim

Comic fans are a strange lot. We care about a difference in price on the cover of a comic, a slight color change, or even a single UPC symbol digit difference, but when it comes to an actual comic with the first appearance of an important character... no way! Gotta draw the line somewhere I guess.

:baiting:

It goes without saying, but :jokealert:

Jim

Comic fans are a strange lot. We care about a difference in price on the cover of a comic, a slight color change, or even a single UPC symbol digit difference, but when it comes to an actual comic with the first appearance of an important character... no way! Gotta draw the line somewhere I guess.

It is $250 in NM- in my guide from 2005 sitting in my office, so I'm kind of thinking some people cared earlier than 10 years ago.

Jim

It is $250 in NM- in my guide from 2005 sitting in my office, so I'm kind of thinking some people cared earlier than 10 years ago.

People cared, don't get me wrong. I have all the guides up to the mid 80's and then jumps to 2007. In the 2007 guide it's $275. So in two years it jumped $25 bucks, not exactly a record setting pace. My point is this and based purely on personal observation and feelings. #181 has always been the book to have, always. Some point when 181's crossed the magicial pyschological barrier, whether it was $500 or $1000 I don't recall exactly, people then turned towards #180 as (for a lack of a better term) a "poor mans #181". With the notion that it actually contained his first appearance (a one page cameo/intro). They weren't wrong. It's exactly that, but it will always be just that. Buy which book you prefer for whatever your personal reasons and beliefs are, and in a perfect world hopefully it is both.

Jim

Once again, FTR - I have never argued which book is more popular. I have never said one should cost more than the other. The market has already decided, and I am fine with that.

Some people, though (not many on this board, natch), think that Incredible Hulk #181 is Wolverine's first appearance. This is what my "deal" is. I want people to know that #181 is not the first appearance. #180 is.

That is all.

-slym

That's fine & good, but the fact that 181 costs more doesn't mean that it's Wolverine's first appearance.

Nor does it make IM 305 the Hulkbuster Armor's 1st appearance.

technically 181 is the 2nd app because 180 is a cameo or the first but I go with what is worth more

While that is your perogative, let me ask you this, and this is a "yes" or "no" only question -

Did Wolverine appear in IH #180, and did #180 come out before #181?

my answer is yes

Then there's all anyone needs to know.

180 = first appearance (a cameo can be a first appearance, IDK why people are so reluctant to accept that)

181 = second appearance

You interject your Hulk 180/181 point in many threads. Why?

I have similarly strong beliefs regarding TTA 27/35 but I mostly leave it alone because it's been debated a million times before and frankly it's a pointless battle.

So what gives, Slym?

I don't just come out of the blue with it. Either someone is talking about the Hulk books themselves, or a 1st cameo/"1st full appearance" that is very similar to IH 180 & 181.

So, I don't really interject this point, it comes out naturally.

;)

-slym

You're right. My apologies, Slym.

They do.

There are several stories about it in some threads on here.

There's someone here who hoards Thor #165. I forget who. At least a short box of them.

Before the movie speculation everyone thought he was :screwy:

Once again, FTR - I have never argued which book is more popular. I have never said one should cost more than the other. The market has already decided, and I am fine with that.

Some people, though (not many on this board, natch), think that Incredible Hulk #181 is Wolverine's first appearance. This is what my "deal" is. I want people to know that #181 is not the first appearance. #180 is.

That is all.

-slym

Wolverine's first (full) appearance, first story appearance, first cover appearance > cameo appearance in one panel on last page. :shy:

-J.

The term "first appearance" is taken too literally by many of us. Likewise, "cameo" and "full" carry massive amounts of weight in the mindsets of collectors. It doesn't matter if it's a capricious distinction, it exists and it has for some time.

The market determined importance and value while the collector base also determined how first appearance terms are applied. None of that is changing. The battle is already lost.