• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I guess the Conan annual #2 is a flipper....

New listing CONAN THE BARBARIAN ANNUAL #2 CGC 9.8 WHITE PAGES 1st THOTH AMON 1976

Back on ebay for $749.99.

At least let the old auction for$ 541 fall off the items sold list.

This is a bit surprising. Perfectly wrapped copy, yea, I would understand. A very stout price for this wrap.

Hey, I've been hyping Power-man 24 as an "undiscovered gem" for a while now.

And WTF is all this "Origin of XXX" BS? It's the first appearance of Black Goliath, no question, yet CGC seems to want to give "Origin" to any older books with pre-existing hero (or even normal) characters.

With Modern ones, it's always "First Appearance of XXX" (to let comic shops/member firms hype the readily-available books) like the idiotic "First Appearance of Winter Soldier" (ummmm, Bucky's been around for decades). doh!

Winter soldier is the same as bucky in the exact same way Him is the same as warlock.

FF #66 then is the first appearance of warlock.

huh?

He's trying to say they are completely different characters. Like the 1st appearance of Carol Danvers isn't the same as the 1st appearance of Ms. Marvel. Like the 1st appearance of Jim Rhodes isn't the same as the 1st appearance of War Machine. Like the 1st appearance of Hank Pym isn't the 1st appearance of Ant-Man ;^)

This is a bit surprising. Perfectly wrapped copy, yea, I would understand. A very stout price for this wrap.

And WTF is all this "Origin of XXX" BS? It's the first appearance of Black Goliath, no question, yet CGC seems to want to give "Origin" to any older books with pre-existing hero (or even normal) characters.

With Modern ones, it's always "First Appearance of XXX" (to let comic shops/member firms hype the readily-available books) like the idiotic "First Appearance of Winter Soldier" (ummmm, Bucky's been around for decades). doh!

Winter soldier is the same as bucky in the exact same way Him is the same as warlock.

huh?

He's trying to say they are completely different characters. Like the 1st appearance of Carol Danvers isn't the same as the 1st appearance of Ms. Marvel. Like the 1st appearance of Jim Rhodes isn't the same as the 1st appearance of War Machine. Like the 1st appearance of Hank Pym isn't the 1st appearance of Ant-Man ;^)

Uh....but Bucky *is* the "Winter Soldier". Ditto to every other respective example you gave. An already existing character donning a "new" or another secret identity, does not make that a "new character". Or maybe I'm just the crazy one here. (shrug)

-J.

I guess the Conan annual #2 is a flipper....

New listing CONAN THE BARBARIAN ANNUAL #2 CGC 9.8 WHITE PAGES 1st THOTH AMON 1976

Back on ebay for $749.99.

At least let the old auction for$ 541 fall off the items sold list.

Its a new copy and more will be submitted soon since it got the attention, just someone taking advantage of the current census and profit potential

Well it is an alter ego. If I'm Sybil and wake up one day with a new personality, I'm the same person, but the new personality is, well, new, and today would be the first time anyone "saw" the personality.

huh?

Or like 3 heroes meeting up in a book notorious for team ups isn't the first appearance of the Teen Titans hm

You might have me sold on TTA 35 as 1st Ant Man.

Well it is an alter ego. If I'm Sybil and wake up one day with a new personality, I'm the same person, but the new personality is, well, new, and today would be the first time anyone "saw" the personality.

That *might* apply to Eddie Brock/Venom, but definitely not Bucky, where the whole point of the Winter Soldier character was the reveal that "Hey everybody, this is actually Bucky!". lol

-J.

It is a newer one. Graded in the last few weeks. I think the guys got it backwards though. As the population increases, the value usually goes down or stabilizes, unless it is a "super" issue with high demand. I'm thinking the Annual 2 is not.

I have to tell you, for me that was a pretty big purchase. I debated it for a while and then saw there were 8 other people watching it and said what the hell, you only live once, take a chance!

Haha same thing I tell myself whenever I'm deciding to buy something big.

Backwards logic. I mean come on, that would be like re-labeling all the Captain America #1 as the "First Appearance of Winter Soldier". doh!

We're talking about CGC's stance of putting "Origin of XXX" if any existing person in the Marvel Universe becomes a hero or takes on a new persona.

Hence the "First Appearance Him / Origin of Warlock" - I don't agree with this, as it's totally opposite to the previous Overstreet listings, collecting history and the comics hobby in general, but at least BE CONSISTENT.

The problem is that only seems to apply to OLD characters, while anything new (hyped by comic dealers/CGC member firms) gets the "First Appearance of XXX" full label notation ($$$) a la "First Appearance of Winter Soldier". It's quite obvious why this is done ($$$) but it's quite sad how much power the CGC member dealers really hold.

I mean, no one's got a box of CGC 9.8 candidates for the first appearances of Warlock or Black Goliath, but I guarantee a lot of dealers have stock of the latest Modern drek.

Label should read....

Bill Foster becomes Black Goliath.

Origin and first appearance of Black Goliath. Ringmaster & Circus of crime appearance.

:sumo:

Exactly. Has Black Goliath ever appeared in a comic before? No? Then it's the First Appearance of Black Goliath.

Dispute that.

Label should read....

Bill Foster becomes Black Goliath.

Origin and first appearance of Black Goliath. Ringmaster & Circus of crime appearance.

:sumo:

Exactly. Has Black Goliath ever appeared in a comic before? No? Then it's the First Appearance of Black Goliath.

Dispute that.

no Disputing it, and it should be at the very least

Origin and first appearance of Black Goliath (Bill Foster) . Ringmaster & Circus of crime appearance

At some point he also becomes Giant Man 2 and whatever else. (Goliath ?) Bill Foster was around long before he becomes different superhero's and your right the label's shouldn't imply that its all new when its not

I feel there is a significant difference between a regular Joe in a comic suddenly gaining powers (i.e becoming a superhero for the first time) and some guy like Antman changing costumes to Yellowjacket.

That's why I look at cases like Ms Marvel, Black Goliath, et al as being especially worthy of a "First Appearance" since these characters are what has built the mythology, and not some nerd Bill Foster jerking off in a test tube.

I have a feeling there is some ultra-anal-nerd (But, but, but... Bill Foster already made his first appearances.. my brain is exploding... AIIIEEEE!!") working at CGC who put forward this idiotic "Origin of..." policy, and then CGC slapped his down to change it whenever they feel the need to over-hype a new dealer-$$$$ speculator book (First Winter Soldier).

I feel there is a significant difference between a regular Joe in a comic suddenly gaining powers (i.e becoming a superhero for the first time) and some guy like Antman changing costumes to Yellowjacket.

That's why I look at cases like Ms Marvel, Black Goliath, et al as being especially worthy of a "First Appearance" since these characters are what has built the mythology, and not some nerd Bill Foster jerking off in a test tube.

I have a feeling there is some ultra-anal-nerd (But, but, but... Bill Foster already made his first appearances.. my brain is exploding... AIIIEEEE!!") working at CGC who put forward this idiotic "Origin of..." policy, and then CGC slapped his down to change it whenever they feel the need to over-hype a new dealer-$$$$ speculator book (First Winter Soldier).

Hey Joe would you mind also dropping by the copper section for a second where they're also having equally stomach-churning "debates" (actually, they may be worse) about the "first appearances" of Oracle and the hulk buster suit ? :baiting:

-J.

Hey Joe would you mind also dropping by the copper section for a second where they're also having equally stomach-churning "debates" (actually, they may be worse) about the "first appearances" of Oracle and the hulk buster suit ? :baiting:

-J.

iron man 305 1st full app of hulk buster armor :)