• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

The same cannot be said for Valkyrie which was actually a first appearance of the character, irrespective of the subsequent ret-con.

But Jay, this is not a "ret-con". The stories weren’t altered, they just progressed one after the other, as they liked the idea and then properly introduced the character.

This obsession with "first apperances" just clouds the fact that the creative process of writing happens in stages.

They’re all important.

(thumbs u

What's important from a story perspective can often be different from which particular issue collectors latch on to as the first app.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Star-Western-10-FN-6-0-DC-Bronze-Age-Western-Giant-1972-1st-Jonah-Hex-/121748561712?hash=item1c58c79f30:g:MtYAAOSw0JpV5nad

----------

has this been trending back up? i remember after the movie tanked prices on mid-grade copies tanked too. this feels like 2X what i paid for one in better shape from a boardie a couple of years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Star-Western-10-FN-6-0-DC-Bronze-Age-Western-Giant-1972-1st-Jonah-Hex-/121748561712?hash=item1c58c79f30:g:MtYAAOSw0JpV5nad

----------

has this been trending back up? i remember after the movie tanked prices on mid-grade copies tanked too. this feels like 2X what i paid for one in better shape from a boardie a couple of years ago.

Time to sell? I'll keep an eye on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262108629797?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For the sake of Valkyrie the first appearance is clearly avengers 83. All the recons of characters and alias aren't first appearances. First appearance of the Alias maybe but not the character.

Avengers 83 isn't the first appearance of a character, just the first published depiction of a character's likeness - as portrayed by an impostor. You might as well just go full Ween.

Really now, you haven't even read the issues you're discussing, have you?

In all 3 of the first appearances, the Enchantress is the one to give the Valkyrie's likeness/personality/powers to each character. In Avengers 83 she used the likeness on herself against the Avengers. In Hulk 142, she used the likeness on Samantha Pennington to attack the Hulk. In Defenders #4, she again used it on Barbara Norriss to help her with the Defenders.

What in the world is the difference?

Avengers 83:

1st time Valkyrie's name is used? Check.

First Valkyrie's likeness? Check.

Prominent cover appearance? Check.

Valkyrie's looks exactly the same as in every appearance over the next 30-40 years? Check.

^^

Actually Joe Collector is right and here is why:

Avengers 83

( Enchantress in Valkyries form)

Hulk 126

(1st Appearance of Barbara Norriss)

Hulk 142

(Samantha Paddington in Valkyries form)

Defenders 3

(2nd Appearance of Barbara Norriss)

Defenders 4

(1st appearance of BRUNNHILDE/VALKYRIE in Barbara Norriss's body)

Defenders 109

(BRUNNHILDE/VALKYRIE in her own body

The same cannot be said for Valkyrie which was actually a first appearance of the character, irrespective of the subsequent ret-con.

But Jay, this is not a "ret-con". The stories weren’t altered, they just progressed one after the other, as they liked the idea and then properly introduced the character.

This obsession with "first apperances" just clouds the fact that the creative process of writing happens in stages.

They’re all important.

(thumbs u

What's important from a story perspective can often be different from which particular issue collectors latch on to as the first app.

That goes for sure. That is why I was questioning Avengers #83: as much important as it is since it introduces the character (albeit in the Enchantress ploy/disguise) I would be the first to want Defenders #4. Or Hulk #126. Or both.

Or each and every one! Yes! lol

A great example of what you say is provided by Sub-Mariner #34-35: these issues are less relevant, story wise, than Doc #183, Hulk #126 and Sub-Mariner #22, but for decades they have been considered more important in Defenders history "in the making".

Actually Joe Collector is right and here is why:

Avengers 83

(Enchantress in Valkyries form)

Hulk 126

(1st Appearance of Barbara Norriss)

Hulk 142

(Samantha Paddington in Valkyries form)

Defenders 3

(2nd Appearance of Barbara Norriss)

Defenders 4

(1st appearance of BRUNNHILDE/VALKYRIE in Barbara Norriss's body)

Defenders 109

(BRUNNHILDE/VALKYRIE in her own body

OK, but strictly speaking (I’d have to re-read it) Hulk #142 is nonetheless Valkyrie in Samantha Parrington (not "Paddington" :D ) body.

A couple more big ComicLink sales from the current auction:

X-Men #76 CGC 9.6

X-Men #79 CGC 9.6

Someone is either hell bent putting together a run or not going to pay. :screwy:

I don't follow this site at all, does this happen often? I mean what's to stop a guy with a 9.4 on ebay for a fraction of this price to run up the 9.6 to create false activity, then not pay?

X-Men #76 CGC 9.6

X-Men #79 CGC 9.6

Someone is either hell bent putting together a run or not going to pay. :screwy:

I don't follow this site at all, does this happen often? I mean what's to stop a guy with a 9.4 on ebay for a fraction of this price to run up the 9.6 to create false activity, then not pay?

These same books sold for pretty serious prices back in 2011.The #76 for $1588 and the #79 for $3433. So I don't think there's anything shady going on here. They're just really tough books in 9.6

X-Men #76 CGC 9.6

X-Men #79 CGC 9.6

These same books sold for pretty serious prices back in 2011.The #76 for $1588 and the #79 for $3433. So I don't think there's anything shady going on here. They're just really tough books in 9.6

Yep the post 66 X-men reprints have always been difficult to find in HG. :sumo:

Klementieff’s role is being kept under wraps for now, but we’re told she’ll be playing the superhero Mantis

Nothing official yet. Just more guesses.