• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

So how much did you accept on SME 16? I'm not so impressed with Demon 1. That should sell for $44 or more.

It kills me how I unloaded so many SME 15s cheap. Nice ones. Couldn't get 25% of guide for them at auction. Thankfully I paid almost nothing for them --. $9.99 from Koch. He couldn't unload them for a decent price either.

$48 for the Kung-Fun. Not really that close to asking.

$44 for Demon in VF is a good sell, I think.

Demon 1 has just started an uptick recently.

Here's an objectively worse copy than Divad's that got $30:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-COMICS-1972-THE-DEMON-1-ETRIGAN-KIRBY-ART-ORIGIN-STORY-SEE-SCANS-/262080069484?hash=item3d05307f6c%3Ag%3AdT4AAOSwVL1WEsGP&nma=true&si=LSlrbGpTtd7qgj9p%252FkdayU26xX0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And some recent Fines have been in the $20 type range, so 2X that for a VF doesn't sound too far off.

Anyway, it's a solid price at $44, nothing earth shattering, and unless the economy crashes, that might be a $50-$60 copy in another month or two.

Anyway, I am used to WTF? prices out of Divad when he sells something, but it's hard to do that on relatively common VF to VF/NM type books.

The same cannot be said for Valkyrie which was actually a first appearance of the character, irrespective of the subsequent ret-con.

But Jay, this is not a "ret-con". The stories weren’t altered, they just progressed one after the other, as they liked the idea and then properly introduced the character.

This obsession with "first apperances" just clouds the fact that the creative process of writing happens in stages.

They’re all important.

So, is Charlize Theron too old to play her?

The same cannot be said for Valkyrie which was actually a first appearance of the character, irrespective of the subsequent ret-con.

But Jay, this is not a "ret-con". The stories weren’t altered, they just progressed one after the other, as they liked the idea and then properly introduced the character.

This obsession with "first apperances" just clouds the fact that the creative process of writing happens in stages.

They’re all important.

So, is Charlize Theron too old to play her?

You know I’m not interested in these movies… lol

So how much did you accept on SME 16? I'm not so impressed with Demon 1. That should sell for $44 or more.

It kills me how I unloaded so many SME 15s cheap. Nice ones. Couldn't get 25% of guide for them at auction. Thankfully I paid almost nothing for them --. $9.99 from Koch. He couldn't unload them for a decent price either.

$48 for the Kung-Fun. Not really that close to asking.

$44 for Demon in VF is a good sell, I think.

Well, every sale can't be an outlier. ;)

If you compare Valkyrie with, let's say, a character like Ms Marvel for example, then Hulk 126 (1st Barbara Norriss) has the same importance as Captain Marvel 18 has (1st Carol Danvers)

And yes, Defenders #4 should worth more indeed (1st Barbara Norriss as Valkyrie)

I wish the CM 18 Carol Danvers "importance" would be put to rest. I've read it several times and the part with her getting the powers from Mar-Vell isn't obvious as it was retconned years later. Yes, I've made money off the book, but it's really a stretch to push it as a "key" to people who don't know any better.

MSH #14 is Carol's actual 1st appearance and there's no argument there

Demon 1 has just started an uptick recently.

Here's an objectively worse copy than Divad's that got $30:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-COMICS-1972-THE-DEMON-1-ETRIGAN-KIRBY-ART-ORIGIN-STORY-SEE-SCANS-/262080069484?hash=item3d05307f6c%3Ag%3AdT4AAOSwVL1WEsGP&nma=true&si=LSlrbGpTtd7qgj9p%252FkdayU26xX0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And some recent Fines have been in the $20 type range, so 2X that for a VF doesn't sound too far off.

Anyway, it's a solid price at $44, nothing earth shattering, and unless the economy crashes, that might be a $50-$60 copy in another month or two.

Anyway, I am used to WTF? prices out of Divad when he sells something, but it's hard to do that on relatively common VF to VF/NM type books.

Demon had an price jump last year when it was announced that Del Torro was writing the -script for Justice League Dark. It stayed fairly consistent until he turned the -script in for review at the end of Nov. 2014. It started to go back down earlier this year. The beginning of this month they announced a producer was on board and he was looking for a director, hence another uptick.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, this is how the market works.....for now.

Well, every sale can't be an outlier. ;)

No, surprised to see you post one that isn't though. :makepoint:

It is a 40+ year old intro to a character that has had some legs over the years, so $40-$50 for a VF copy seems fairly reasonable when compared to other BA and CA prices out there. The only thing holding it back is that these DC Kirby books were printed and hoarded in huge numbers.

How so?

Impossible to find in high grade. Bob himself doesn't even have high grade copies.
This is not a groundbreaking price for this book, maybe even a good deal for the buyer given the scarcity of these in auction format on eBay, but well worth mentioning

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-8-0-Visions-1-1st-Flaming-Carrot-Signed-by-Bob-Burden-NO-RESERVE-/131616770839?hash=item1ea4f88b17

To me, the word "copies" is a misnomer.

It is a 40+ year old intro to a character that has had some legs over the years, so $40-$50 for a VF copy seems fairly reasonable when compared to other BA and CA prices out there. The only thing holding it back is that these DC Kirby books were printed and hoarded in huge numbers.

True, I heard there is a Sandman movie coming so this should see an uptick any day:

76e6ec8b-dfb8-44c4-9d61-80dc888bdd53_zpsqqrwihe5.jpg

True, I heard there is a Sandman movie coming so this should see an uptick any day:

76e6ec8b-dfb8-44c4-9d61-80dc888bdd53_zpsqqrwihe5.jpg

Yeah, but I think Kirby's Demon has a little closer resemblance to the current Demon than Kirby's Sandman has to Gaiman's. And yes, it would not surprise me if that saw an uptick too as it has been overlooked and ignored for so long. That was a book I tossed at least 10 copies of into my BA ebay grab bags over the years, along with Rom 1, Marvel Special Edition 1, DD 181, Shazam 1, Omac 1, Kamandi 1, Micronauts 1, and Shadow 1 because I assumed they would never go anywhere. Hah. Brilliant analysis!

OMG, now there will be an infinite debate on which is the first true first app!!!

It depends on which one it is, and I prefer Defenders 4 to the others, as that was the first appearance of the character that ran through the BA and CA.

If there's a slew of die hard Valkyrie collectors out there, I'd like to hear which book they designate as her 1st appearance.

Defenders 4, definitely.

Barbara Norris = Valkyrie

I thought for sure you'd be an Avengers #83 guy, seeing how we agree on Adam Warlock / Marvel Premiere #1 because of the name and the costume, but following the "who is "Warlock" and not "Him" logic" I can see why you went with Defenders #4.

Roy Thomas being the writer of Avengers 83 and the editor of Defenders 4 is interesting as he may have had some say in the character development

They’re all important.

(thumbs u

For the sake of Valkyrie the first appearance is clearly avengers 83. All the recons of characters and alias aren't first appearances. First appearance of the Alias maybe but not the character.

Avengers 83 isn't the first appearance of a character, just the first published depiction of a character's likeness - as portrayed by an impostor. You might as well just go full Ween.

Really now, you haven't even read the issues you're discussing, have you?

In all 3 of the first appearances, the Enchantress is the one to give the Valkyrie's likeness/personality/powers to each character. In Avengers 83 she used the likeness on herself against the Avengers. In Hulk 142, she used the likeness on Samantha Pennington to attack the Hulk. In Defenders #4, she again used it on Barbara Norriss to help her with the Defenders.

What in the world is the difference?

Avengers 83:

1st time Valkyrie's name is used? Check.

First Valkyrie's likeness? Check.

Prominent cover appearance? Check.

Valkyrie's looks exactly the same as in every appearance over the next 30-40 years? Check.

^^