• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

It plays out bad.

Random obscure book, terrible listing..

.. Oh and in the wrong thread :taptaptap:

I know it looks like I'm promoting the book, but my intention is on this thread is that book is becoming more and more popular due to the new Justice League movie and the new Shazam movie. I believe sooner or later Warner Bros will make a film that Superman and Shazam battle each other.

Edited by vane

Here's one you don't see every day . . . :grin:

Oktoberfest Comics 1

Great book!

I've seen images of this before, but what the heck is it about? It looks like something designed to appeal to fans of The Timbertoes in Highlights magazine.

I'm trying to figure out who would have purchased it, like most B/W indy comics from the 70s it was more expensive than full color stuff available on the newsstand, and wouldn't have had much of a distribution network. In 1976 you had the first wave of underground comix falling in sales, and the other B/W books available were mostly sci-fi/fantasy oriented, like Star-Reach and First Kingdom.

Sim lives in Kitchener, Ontario, which is home to the (reputedly) largest Oktoberfest celebration outside of Europe. I've always been under the impression that it was a locally-produced anthology title that "borrowed" the Oktoberfest name for marketing purposes...

I have a couple of copies, but I'm not sure exactly where they are... Maybe someone who's got one handy could see if there's any editorial content to confirm this?

I have a copy. I'll pull it out in the morning.

It plays out bad.

I know it looks like I'm promoting the book, but my intention is on this thread is that book is becoming more and more popular due to the new Justice League movie and the new Shazam movie. I believe sooner or later Warner Bros will make a film that Superman and Shazam battle each other.

You should have posted it in the Copper thread. It's a Copper book after all not Bronze.

On a side note, those Ordway All Star Squadron books get no love :(

It plays out bad.

You should have posted it in the Copper thread. It's a Copper book after all not Bronze.

There's always a debate when the bronze age ended. My opinion it ended in the DC Crisis on Infinite Earths of 1986, so I considered the All-Star Squadrons series a bronze age series. That'sjust my opinion.

Edited by vane

It plays out bad.

There's always a debate when the bronze age ended. My opinion it ended in the DC Crisis on Infinite Earths of 1986, so I considered the All-Star Squadrons series a bronze age series. That'sjust my opinion.

1986 is wayyyyyyy too late. Revisionist history

Oktoberfest Comics 1

Great book!

I've seen images of this before, but what the heck is it about? It looks like something designed to appeal to fans of The Timbertoes in Highlights magazine.

I'm trying to figure out who would have purchased it, like most B/W indy comics from the 70s it was more expensive than full color stuff available on the newsstand, and wouldn't have had much of a distribution network. In 1976 you had the first wave of underground comix falling in sales, and the other B/W books available were mostly sci-fi/fantasy oriented, like Star-Reach and First Kingdom.

Sim lives in Kitchener, Ontario, which is home to the (reputedly) largest Oktoberfest celebration outside of Europe. I've always been under the impression that it was a locally-produced anthology title that "borrowed" the Oktoberfest name for marketing purposes...

I have a couple of copies, but I'm not sure exactly where they are... Maybe someone who's got one handy could see if there's any editorial content to confirm this?

I just pulled my copy and there are no editorials. The only text other than the comic story lines themselves is the indicia which credits Harry Kremer as the publisher, The Beavers characters credited to Dave Sim and Cap'n Riverrat credited to Gene Day. It was printed by Moir Hayes Graphics and Fairway Press.

The main story line is about how the character Natter P. Bombast finds a document and claims he is the sole "owner" of Oktoberfest and forbids all of Canada to celebrate. Uncle Hans then stows away on Bombast's plane when Bombast goes on a hunt for a co-owner by the name of Running Lake. They eventually locate a descendant of his, Richard Running Lake, unexpectedly and to Natter P. Bombast's chagrin, Oktoberfest can be celebrated once more.

It plays out bad.

$192 seems like a pretty good price on that

Oktoberfest Comics 1

Great book!

I just pulled my copy and there are no editorials. The only text other than the comic story lines themselves is the indicia which credits Harry Kremer as the publisher, The Beavers characters credited to Dave Sim and Cap'n Riverrat credited to Gene Day. It was printed by Moir Hayes Graphics and Fairway Press.

The main story line is about how the character Natter P. Bombast finds a document and claims he is the sole "owner" of Oktoberfest and forbids all of Canada to celebrate. Uncle Hans then stows away on Bombast's plane when Bombast goes on a hunt for a co-owner by the name of Running Lake. They eventually locate a descendant of his, Richard Running Lake, unexpectedly and to Natter P. Bombast's chagrin, Oktoberfest can be celebrated once more.

Harry Kremer owned a comic shop in Kitchener, and "The Beavers" ran as a daily strip in the Kitchener newspaper, so I think that makes it likely that this was a local one-off...

Based on jscomics's sales over the last 15 days (and they usually do pretty well on their auctions), late december is a terrible time to sell BA comics, which I guess makes sense as money is being allocated to other things.

Based on jscomics's sales over the last 15 days (and they usually do pretty well on their auctions), late december is a terrible time to sell BA comics, which I guess makes sense as money is being allocated to other things.

100% correct!

I actually save money during the year to pick up comics in December...

I purchased a lot of X-men comics from JSComics, Collectors_Comics, Comics4less...All at great prices! including keys...

Early this December I even picked up a mid graded X-men 1 for lower than GPA in a private sale and one on ebay. But December is now ending...I was hoping there were better keys to pick up...but most sellers already know not to sell.

Oktoberfest Comics 1

Great book!

Harry Kremer owned a comic shop in Kitchener, and "The Beavers" ran as a daily strip in the Kitchener newspaper, so I think that makes it likely that this was a local one-off...

And Sims used to work at that comic book store "Now and Then".

Oktoberfest Comics 1

Great book!

And Sims used to work at that comic book store "Now and Then".

I've just read that "Onkel Hans" is the official mascot of the Kitchener Oktoberfest Opening Ceremonies.

100% correct!

I actually save money during the year to pick up comics in December...

I purchased a lot of X-men comics from JSComics, Collectors_Comics, Comics4less...All at great prices! including keys...

Early this December I even picked up a mid graded X-men 1 for lower than GPA in a private sale and one on ebay. But December is now ending...I was hoping there were better keys to pick up...but most sellers already know not to sell.

The Machine that is jscomics just can't stop listing though!

I think they bought some old time dealer who had a huge warehouse (did they buy red beard's book den?), but that was a long time ago and where the heck do they get all this stuff? they just have wave after wave of books when they do shows.