• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

well, 1st mantis has always been a little spensive in guide and people love 20 cent cover price avengers anyway

So basically ok to find a mid high grade in the $50 range, and if the rumors to not pan out, you can likely get that back. From what I am seeing on eBay FN are going for about 40 to 50, VF is 60 to 70, and VF/NM may get you over 100 in raw. Not a bad little gamble, not going to cost anyone their life savings.

well, 1st mantis has always been a little spensive in guide and people love 20 cent cover price avengers anyway

So basically ok to find a mid high grade in the $50 range, and if the rumors to not pan out, you can likely get that back. From what I am seeing on eBay FN are going for about 40 to 50, VF is 60 to 70, and VF/NM may get you over 100 in raw. Not a bad little gamble, not going to cost anyone their life savings.

but to what end? Is the ROI worth it? Guessing that $1-$5 comics might go up to $20 or $25 seems pretty reasonable, but hoping a $50 comic might go to $61...of course I get everyone has their own strategies...

but to what end? Is the ROI worth it? Guessing that $1-$5 comics might go up to $20 or $25 seems pretty reasonable, but hoping a $50 comic might go to $61...of course I get everyone has their own strategies...

That is why I called it a gamble. If you can grab a nice mid/high grade get it slabbed, you may be able to double (or more) your investment. I can't say if that is worth it to you or not. I see 5 slabbed sales recently on eBay 6.5 = $70, 8.5 = $195, 8 = $149, 8.5 = 120, 9.4 = $600. The latter three are from before the movie rumor. Seems like an ok bet to me.

or maybe you're a collector and like the book?

slabbing a mid-grade copy seems to make no sense..almost ever

$40-$50 for a fine raw copy seems like there may not be tremendous upside. what is strange tales 180 going for in fine? about that much. is mantis going to be more popular than gamora? seems like the book was already expensive. then again, so was IM 55, but thanos is thanos.

of course, i know, a 20 cent avengers 1st has more of a "base value" than ST 180 did, although ST 180 had so many other things going on for it.

Edited by the blob

plenty of people do. but with a sequel coming to gotg, this may not be inevitable. i got the same $ for my more recent ST 180 and Hulk Annual (Groot) sales as I did before the movie came out. The Hulk Annual was a book I saw getting bought at NYCC is priced fairly. People (especially kids) love Groot, dunno about the others.

I watched GOTG for like the 4th time the other night. I did not see it in the theatres. There is so much good stuff in that movie. Groot's facial expressions are awesome. Yes, there is some dopey stuff, sure.

plenty of people do. but with a sequel coming to gotg, this may not be inevitable. i got the same $ for my more recent ST 180 and Hulk Annual (Groot) sales as I did before the movie came out. The Hulk Annual was a book I saw getting bought at NYCC is priced fairly. People (especially kids) love Groot, dunno about the others.

I watched GOTG for like the 4th time the other night. I did not see it in the theatres. There is so much good stuff in that movie. Groot's facial expressions are awesome. Yes, there is some dopey stuff, sure.

agree. A LOT of people who are very casual comic fans just hear the news a few months before the movie, or see a magazine cover and go "Oh this character's gonna be in a movie? I used to love that character, I should go grab their comic." Same thing happens after a movie opens "I liked that character, I want to find out more about them, I'll go buy that comic." Or people want to show off how 'cool' they are by having first app comics displayed in their store or house around the time of the movie, to show that they're 'true fans' etc etc. And a lot of these people don't know (or care) how much the comic costs now or used to cost before, or will cost in a few years. And yes, of course there are definitely some speculators who get caught holding the bag too....

and i know my sales data is anecdotal. there were probably some hysterical prices paid for some mid-grade copies of ST 180 before the movie came out, I just wasn't the lucky recipient, although i was very happy regardless.

agree. A LOT of people who are very casual comic fans just hear the news a few months before the movie, or see a magazine cover and go "Oh this character's gonna be in a movie? I used to love that character, I should go grab their comic." Same thing happens after a movie opens "I liked that character, I want to find out more about them, I'll go buy that comic." Or people want to show off how 'cool' they are by having first app comics displayed in their store or house around the time of the movie, to show that they're 'true fans' etc etc. And a lot of these people don't know (or care) how much the comic costs now or used to cost before, or will cost in a few years. And yes, of course there are definitely some speculators who get caught holding the bag too....

definitely the case for a book that maybe isn't at nosebleed prices anyway. you can get the books mentioned in presentable shape for $50 or less. i think with the constant hype of the marvel movie machine it keeps it in people's heads too, plus there is a GOTG cartoon keeping it alive.

the problem comes when they kill the character off.

it really depends on the staying power of a character. thanos, hawkeye, scarlet witch, some of the GOTG folks maybe, maybe not, they've been elevated to nearly household names, i don't think their 1sts are really going down until people lose interest in comics generally

Honestly, who buys these books at a higher price when we know after the movie the price will just go down?

Uh, apparently everybody . . . :grin:

Not everybody, I point blank refuse. :sumo:

You and me both, brutha! :sumo::grin:

Honestly, who buys these books at a higher price when we know after the movie the price will just go down?

Uh, apparently everybody . . . :grin:

lol I think just your clientele.

The dirty little secrete is for every buyer there is a seller. So for every seller that dumps a book when a big announcement is made there must be a buyer for the cycle to continue. Anyone who buys and sells comics is subject to the whims of popularity, character use, movie announcements, etc. Even if you go out of your way to avoid speculation, we are all still affected by it. The only people who do not risk being left "holding the bag" are either long time owners that make no moves when a book spikes, or it is a book we truly cherish and we do not care about market fluctuations. Another rare exception is the few books that are not just key books, but landmark books that will hold their value no matter what (Amazing Fantasy 15, Detective comics 27, Action Comics 1).

Edited by drotto