• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

IMO the Bronze Age ends when Miller's Daredevil and Byrne's X-Men runs finished

I feel like the bronze age ended with DD 181

These all coincide with something I feel is very overlooked in terms of comic history, and that's Stan Lee leaving Marvel Comics in 1981 to run the TV/movie studio arm (leaving Jim Shooter in charge of Marvel), along with Jenette Kahn taking over DC the same year, which eventually led to Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Vertigo.

Because we now had two totally different people running the two largest comic book publishers, it's no coincidence that things changed at Marvel and DC circa 1981, and fast. Creator royalties, a massive mini-series explosion, more adult themes and stories, etc. Shooter even got rid of the No Prize.

These all coincide with something I feel is very overlooked in terms of comic history, and that's Stan Lee leaving Marvel Comics in 1981 to run the TV/movie studio arm (leaving Jim Shooter in charge of Marvel), along with Jenette Kahn taking over DC the same year, which eventually led to Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Vertigo.

Because we now had two totally different people running the two largest comic book publishers, it's no coincidence that things changed at Marvel and DC circa 1981, and fast. Creator royalties, a massive mini-series explosion, more adult themes and stories, etc. Shooter even got rid of the No Prize.

Add in the direct sales only books and "baxter paper"

Add in the direct sales only books and "baxter paper"

Don't make me post my list again. (tsk)

DD 181, in retrospect is a great ending. Notwithstanding JC's added comments. :grin:

Heh. I have a slightly different view. I think BA ended as soon as Miller took over DD and ushered in the newer style of grittier story teller. The would make DD 181 early Copper for me. :)

Heh. I have a slightly different view. I think BA ended as soon as Miller took over DD and ushered in the newer style of grittier story teller. The would make DD 181 early Copper for me. :)

No argument here - the production quality of the books changed significantly also. What's interesting to me is you can pick up any book and in 20 seconds or less, assign an "age" to it. ;)

Either view is valid (DD 168 vs 181), but in order to make any sense at all, it has to be *around* the 1981 range for the start of the BA.

And along with the other comments, no way this book isn't Copper:

1982: Warrior Magazine #1 /Alan Moore (Marvelman, V for Vendetta)

As I've said before, there is no definitive start/end to Copper/Bronze.

Some books, like Batman, retained a Bronze age feel until Miller did Dark Knight (1986.)

Some books, like New Teen Titans, had a definite Copper vibe, even though it started in 1980.

Solid Bronze is to at least the end of Byrne's X-Men, in early 1981. Solid Copper is definitely Turtles #1 in 1984. What's between? A whole lot of fuzziness.

Spidey, for example. What's the end of Bronze, beginning of Copper? Nothing serious happened for years with Spidey, after graduating from college in 185.

So, would it be Hobgoblin? That's early 1983.

What about Superman? Superman remained static throughout Bronze, until Byrne took over with Man of Steel. That's late 1986!

Thor? That would be #337, in mid-83.

X-Men? Even when Cockrum returned, it still had a Bronze feel. It took Paul Smith's arrival (#165) to shake things up, and X-Men finally started to "feel" different.

1981 is a bit too early for Copper....1984 is a bit too late for Bronze.

Everything else is up for grabs.

Copper started 1/1980. :sumo::acclaim:

Poor Dazzler...her era was over almost from the minute she showed up!

:(

lol

How do you think ROM felt. I blame it all on Rom #1. Came out 12/1979 and signaled the end of a whole era because it was so......well, like ROM. lol

Copper started 1/1980. :sumo::acclaim:

Poor Dazzler...her era was over almost from the minute she showed up!

:(

lol

How do you think ROM felt. I blame it all on Rom #1. Came out 12/1979 and signaled the end of a whole era because it was so......well, like ROM. lol

I was just reading Rom #1 LAST NIGHT, and had to laugh at the "200 years ago, Galador's finest, etc."...and they're all wearing bell bottoms, open shirts, and one black guy (On Galador!) had a big afro.

It was hilarious.

This would make a fun thread...

Signals to indicate End of Bronze....

Wolverine suit change

End of Monster genre (ManThing vol2 cancelled 1981)

Marketing gimmicks - Rise of the graphic novel and limited issue story arcs (secret wars etc)

Sue Storm changes hair style to classic 80s.. way to go Mr Byrne!

I had a list somewhere, but this is all i can remember at the moment.

Naw, man, Rom is pure Bronze Age, disco ball, platform shoes, perm wearing goodness!

Until issue #47.

Then it's just pure awesome until the end.

:cloud9:

I would say pure awesomeness until the end of the Wraith war. The book kinda lost its way after that.

As I've said before, there is no definitive start/end to Copper/Bronze.

Some books, like Batman, retained a Bronze age feel until Miller did Dark Knight (1986.)

Some books, like New Teen Titans, had a definite Copper vibe, even though it started in 1980.

Solid Bronze is to at least the end of Byrne's X-Men, in early 1981. Solid Copper is definitely Turtles #1 in 1984. What's between? A whole lot of fuzziness.

Spidey, for example. What's the end of Bronze, beginning of Copper? Nothing serious happened for years with Spidey, after graduating from college in 185.

So, would it be Hobgoblin? That's early 1983.

What about Superman? Superman remained static throughout Bronze, until Byrne took over with Man of Steel. That's late 1986!

Thor? That would be #337, in mid-83.

X-Men? Even when Cockrum returned, it still had a Bronze feel. It took Paul Smith's arrival (#165) to shake things up, and X-Men finally started to "feel" different.

1981 is a bit too early for Copper....1984 is a bit too late for Bronze.

Everything else is up for grabs.

Transitional era. Cronze baby! Cronze!! :whee: