• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Time to sell my 9.8 if I can get anywhere close to that. People do realize that newsstand back then are not that "rare", don't they?

Wow.

Indeed, quite possibly a chunk more common, even in 9 8

Just now, the blob said:

It is too bad. 23 has such a generic mehhhh cover and doesn't even show her. Its like they had a pile of generic covers to use.

Its almost line bws was spending so much time on the cover he missed the deadline and they had to use it for 24 instead.

7 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. People asked what Red Sonja's first appearance is, probably because there are a bunch of hucksters on eBay claiming that 24 is either her first appearance or first full appearance when in fact it's neither. I'm trying to give them the correct information which is that 23 is her first appearance and her first full appearance. I don't know why you're trying to obfuscate this fact.

Okay, apparently you don't like the story in #23. So what.

Your logic is sound and argument compelling.  I will note (as an owner of 24 but not 23!) that CGC identifies 24 as "First Full Appearance of Red Sonja".  I'll take that for my own selfish economic reasons, although I admit that MyComicShop's description -- 1st Full Red Sonja story -- is more accurate.

52 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I always thought that #23 was her first appearance and had no idea that #24 was worth almost the same amount of money until recently.

If anyone has an old Overstreet to see if that was always the case.

Overstreet 1991-92: Conan #23 1st app. Red Sonja (1973) nm $16; Conan #24 1st full story Red Sonja nm $16.

1 minute ago, aardvark88 said:

Overstreet 1991-92: Conan #23 1st app. Red Sonja (1973) nm $16; Conan #24 1st full story Red Sonja nm $16.

Thanks...for some reason I never knew that #24 was just as expensive and sought after.

I own both by the way but my #23 is in mylar and not the #24 as I did not know it was a key :bigsmile:

52 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I always thought that #23 was her first appearance and had no idea that #24 was worth almost the same amount of money until recently.

If anyone has an old Overstreet, it would be interesting to see if that was always the case.

The first one I bought, #9 identifies 23 as first and 24 as second:

8listing.thumb.jpg.3100647fb90d82fe9b97d53928c0d7aa.jpg

Notice how back then how much attention was paid to who did the art (Adams inks, Ploog, Starlin, a Wood reprint :smile:)  I think that is why #24 was valued equally to #23 for awhile there:  #24 was Barry Smith's swan song, he both penciled, inked and drew the cover.  

Before first appearances became a big deal, 24 was in demand because of the classic cover and story. The cover was voted by the fans as the top cover of the year at the time (1973 I think?) so it's been a highlight issue since it came out. And the story, "The Song of Red Sonja," is a classic, and the final Barry Windsor-Smith issue. 

But it's not her first appearance, that's all. If the market determines 24 is more valuable, fine. We all know how important covers are these days, and it's a must have cover. When people in the market claim that its her first appearance or first full appearance, though, whether it's cgc or an ebay seller, it's just an attempt to justify the price by adding meaning that the book does not have. It's mistaken at best and lying at worst.

Anyway, enough ranting. I'm going to go eat cake.

3 minutes ago, Zonker said:

The first one I bought, #9 identifies 23 as first and 24 as second:

8listing.thumb.jpg.3100647fb90d82fe9b97d53928c0d7aa.jpg

Notice how back then how much attention was paid to who did the art (Adams inks, Ploog, Starlin, a Wood reprint :smile:)  I think that is why #24 was valued equally to #23 for awhile there:  #24 was Barry Smith's swan song, he both penciled, inked and drew the cover.  

You can't get older than that...thanks! Just funny how I never realized that. I wonder what other keys I am ignorant of that I may own.

5 hours ago, the blob said:

It is too bad. 23 has such a generic mehhhh cover and doesn't even show her. Its like they had a pile of generic covers to use.

Actually, the story in #23 was originally intended for #22.  But the artwork got lost in the mail, so they reprinted the story from #1 in #22.  But it was apparently too late to change the cover on #22. Not surprised they didn't put too much effort into the #23 cover at that point, particularly since the #22 cover was stunning. (Covers swiped from GCD to illustrate the point.)

22.jpg

23.jpg

4 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Before first appearances became a big deal, 24 was in demand because of the classic cover and story. The cover was voted by the fans as the top cover of the year at the time (1973 I think?) so it's been a highlight issue since it came out. And the story, "The Song of Red Sonja," is a classic, and the final Barry Windsor-Smith issue. 

But it's not her first appearance, that's all. If the market determines 24 is more valuable, fine. We all know how important covers are these days, and it's a must have cover. When people in the market claim that its her first appearance or first full appearance, though, whether it's cgc or an ebay seller, it's just an attempt to justify the price by adding meaning that the book does not have. It's mistaken at best and lying at worst.

Anyway, enough ranting. I'm going to go eat cake.

Last I looked 23 was more $

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Actually, the story in #23 was originally intended for #22.  But the artwork got lost in the mail, so they reprinted the story from #1 in #22.  But it was apparently too late to change the cover on #22. Not surprised they didn't put too much effort into the #23 cover at that point, particularly since the #22 cover was stunning. (Covers swiped from GCD to illustrate the point.)

22.jpg

23.jpg

^^

Blessed to learn something knew today! Hope I have enough brain cells to commit it to memory! lol

:download: