• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

Looks like a moisture mark to me. Good thing for sellers most people just see the cgc grade and have no idea how to grade. I have seen enough people pay 9.8 prices for 9.4 books or whatever and never knew. 

That's what I thought too, and at the time shook my head at the grade... But just looked at an 8.5 I picked up and it has the same mark

3 minutes ago, Heronext said:

That's what I thought too, and at the time shook my head at the grade... But just looked at an 8.5 I picked up and it has the same mark

Good detective work. I have a few left I am going to take a look. I never noticed. But never paid much attention. Like I said, people can't grade and think everything can be cpr so I just take good pictures and let the speculators fantasize about all the money they are going to make when the movie comes out.

7 minutes ago, Heronext said:

I had a few high grade copies with that mark. I think it was just an ink issue. I sold my copies since then, but I just showed close-up pictures and how there is no change in cover ink reflectivity, etc.

9 minutes ago, Heronext said:

Yes it is on every single one. Fantastic work watson. If I only had 1 copy and wanted to send it to cgc I would have been like ah man, that water stain ruined my 9.8 I like to think I would hit it with the uv but my luck probably not.

On 6/12/2021 at 12:13 AM, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

Looks like a moisture mark to me. Good thing for sellers most people just see the cgc grade and have no idea how to grade. I have seen enough people pay 9.8 prices for 9.4 books or whatever and never knew. 

That's not a moisture mark, it is an ink defect from the printing process and is not considered a grade altering flaw by CGC because it occurred as part of printing process.   Lots of BA books have these.   Unsightly?  Yes.  Grade altering? No.

2 hours ago, mcduckz said:

That's not a moisture mark, it is an ink defect from the printing process and is not considered a grade altering flaw by CGC because it occurred as part of printing process.   Lots of BA books have these.   Unsightly?  Yes.  Grade altering? No.

Do all the CGC graders know about the flaw? (I believe there's a lot of new graders)  Do they have a database that lets them know about every comic's inherent idiosyncrasies?

I have a lot of experience in comics, but If I saw that mark I would have thought tiny "water stain" and graded it downward.  That's why I love the boards.  Knowledge.

29 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Do all the CGC graders know about the flaw? (I believe there's a lot of new graders)  Do they have a database that lets them know about every comic's inherent idiosyncrasies?

I have a lot of experience in comics, but If I saw that mark I would have thought tiny "water stain" and graded it downward.  That's why I love the boards.  Knowledge.

I would hope it's covered in their training, I mean if we know about it, there's no reason for them not to know about it as well.

But that isn't a 9.4 book. That's a 9.8 book. You can scream all you want, but that book is a CGC 9.8, and that's what people are buying.

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

But that isn't a 9.4 book. That's a 9.8 book. You can scream all you want, but that book is a CGC 9.8, and that's what people are buying.

Where did I say it was a 9.4?

(shrug)

4 hours ago, dikran1 said:

I would hope it's covered in their training, I mean if we know about it, there's no reason for them not to know about it as well.

Everyone knows about newton rings, but only some care about newton rings. :) If they can't get the big details right I doubt they are concerned about the tiny ones. 

5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Enough of them know about it on this book. Might have some concern on a book that isn't popular. Under the right lighting and paying attention they should be fine. But new graders under pressure to grade quickly i dunno. 

2 hours ago, fett said:

Everyone knows about newton rings, but only some care about newton rings. :) If they can't get the big details right I doubt they are concerned about the tiny ones. 

What's the connection between newton rings and graders?

14 hours ago, mcduckz said:

This is one of those examples where if you have 2 9.8’s and one has this printing defect which book would EVERYONE choose. Doesn’t make sense that it would have the same value. Same goes for Marvel chipping

8 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

This is one of those examples where if you have 2 9.8’s and one has this printing defect which book would EVERYONE choose. Doesn’t make sense that it would have the same value. Same goes for Marvel chipping

Often, they don't have the same value.  Not all 9.8s sell for the same price.  If two books sitting side-by-side and one had a defect and the other did not, chances are the unflawed one would be priced higher because it has higher eye appeal.  CGC decided long ago not to count against printing defects like this.  It's no different than SA store stamps or other accepted flaws.  Many would argue a store stamp is the same as writing on a cover, but the store stamp is acceptable because that was how things were done.  What would be ruinous is to change policy now after they have already established a standard they have used for the last 20+ years.  I think a lot of folks forget prior to Copper Age, the books rarely were perfect.  You find all kind of ink defects, off center wraps, skewed wraps, misplaced staples, non-white pages from the publisher, etc. which have nothing to do with the actual book grade.   Most of that was deemed acceptable long before CGC formalized the grading process.  

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Thor 245 is the new hot book. every copy wiped off ebay

??? Not sure where you are getting that.   There were not very many graded copies to start with and there are still a ton of ungraded ones out there.   What is suddenly special about Thor 245?

On 6/13/2021 at 6:32 PM, Lazyboy said:

What's the connection between newton rings and graders?

cgc and their lack of quality control on their services at times

3 hours ago, mcduckz said:

??? Not sure where you are getting that.   There were not very many graded copies to start with and there are still a ton of ungraded ones out there.   What is suddenly special about Thor 245?

Some TVA 1st app that GoCollect hyped in connection with the Loki show.

Putting that aside, I do remember buying it off the rack and reading it and thinking the Servitor (giant red dude in golden armor) was bad@ss. I think he is the Servitor of Zarko, the Tomorrow Man, IIRC. Thors of that era are fun. My fave is #272, a tale of Thor and Loki’s childhood.