• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pickycollector said:
2 hours ago, mcduckz said:

MS5 9.8 white = $264,000 !!!!!! holy carp!

:screwy:

No kidding.

The Joker saw that result, couldn't handle it, and killed himself. At least Batman has one less thing to worry about.

1 hour ago, Finhead said:

Someone is going to take a bath on that when the market does get back to normal, there's no way it can stay at these inflated prices.

The fact that two, maybe three people bid it up to that is mind boggling, it's a great book and all that, but 1/4 of a million? O.o

3 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

The fact that two, maybe three people bid it up to that is mind boggling, it's a great book and all that, but 1/4 of a million? O.o

100% is, In my mind that is not collectors driving the price but people that have jumped on board the investment train over the last 6 months. Could be totally wrong on that though.

Let's all sit back with some popcorn and see how this plays out. I remember a Hulk 181 in (I don't know, can't remember if it was a 9.8 or a 9.9) that went for crazy money about 15 - 20 years ago and many people had the same reaction. But I'm thinking he's sitting pretty good right now. 

15 hours ago, dikran1 said:

It's great and all for the rarified air these books live in but the ''true'' market to me is the 6.0-8.0 books.  It would be great if these prices help prop up the mid grades that common mortals like myself can buy.

It's all perspective... people spending 6+ figures on comic books probably don't blink an eye at that purchase.  Personally, my "true" market are good potential first appearances in the 4-figure range.  That is higher than some could afford and lower than others would spend, but my goal is to have the first appearances of all my favorite characters (the ones I don't already have of course).  At this point, I have accepted that means I won't get most SA ones, but plenty of BA are still in reach.

13 hours ago, Finhead said:

Someone is going to take a bath on that when the market does get back to normal, there's no way it can stay at these inflated prices.

12 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Probably true, but on the plus side it is a pretty rare book in 9.8.  If anything Ghost Rider related gets announced for the MCU, a quarter of a million may be the right range.   Though, hard to move north of that when you can get copies of A-list characters in mid grade for that money.

12 hours ago, Finhead said:

100% is, In my mind that is not collectors driving the price but people that have jumped on board the investment train over the last 6 months. Could be totally wrong on that though.

Agree completely... I think this has been true in most collector markets.  Have seen rapid increases in comics, sports cards & memorabilia, coins, not sports cards, CCGs, etc.   It seems a correction must come but I really think prices will still say significantly higher than they were on Jan 1.  People who are spending this crazy cash will just sit on stuff until they can get some decent money back out of it.

3 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I've been hearing that for decades. :)

For sure, but this is a little different. Prices are 3-4X what they used to be depending on the book some even higher. That happened in 5-6 months time, I have never seen growth like that in comics before. And  I could be entirely wrong but I don't see this kind of growth not coming back down 20-30%.

2 hours ago, Finhead said:

For sure, but this is a little different. Prices are 3-4X what they used to be depending on the book some even higher. That happened in 5-6 months time, I have never seen growth like that in comics before. And  I could be entirely wrong but I don't see this kind of growth not coming back down 20-30%.

Got to agree with you there, unprecedented times at the moment. 

4 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Got to agree with you there, unprecedented times at the moment. 

It's like we are living in the twilight zone. I've pinched myself several times and still can't believe it.

But the underlying reason is the movie industry right?

31 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

But the underlying reason is the movie industry right?

This and also the fact that some investment firms are beginning to take notice that collectibles can be a very good investment with strong returns. That is what scares me the most.

This and also the fact that some investment firms are beginning to take notice that collectibles can be a very good investment with strong returns. That is what scares me the most.

Wall Street ruins everything.

I talked to a shop owner/dealer that he knows that some universities are buying comics to sit on as investments.

17 hours ago, pickycollector said:

What investment firms are buying or recommending comics?

15 hours ago, Cephusdog said:

I talked to a shop owner/dealer that he knows that some universities are buying comics to sit on as investments.

What universities?

There is this speculation that institutions are buying comics. As much as prices have increased, liquidity is still very low for true institutional investing (not talking Rally Road).  

4 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

What universities?

There is this speculation that institutions are buying comics. As much as prices have increased, liquidity is still very low for true institutional investing (not talking Rally Road).  

He didn't give specifics when asked and I'm not sure if he wouldn't divulge the information at the request the universities (as if they were his clients) or if he was getting the information 2nd hand. The store and owner are quite well-known in my parts and have been in business decades so I didn't question the validity of his statement. (shrug)

Edited by Cephusdog