• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

ST 169 @ 27k !!! I reckon someone is waking up with some serious 'buyers regret' today. 

That's simply 9.8 mania gone wild right? I mean raw it's a $200 book right?  ebay has an 8.5 listed at $500

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

A ST 169 9.8 has now sold for $27,000

I have to believe that people who pay this much for this book (and many others) are going to be very disappointed and regretful someday

Edited by Jeffro.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

I have to believe that people who pay this much for this book (and many others) are going to be very disappointed and regretful someday

You can get a 5.0 Xmen 1 for the same money.

So which would you rather have...... A nice Silver Age mid grade Xmen 1 featuring the 1st appearances of many A-list marvel characters, or a 9.8 of a Bronze Age Strange Tales 169 featuring the 1st appearance of a C-list marvel character?

Don't get me wrong, I like Brother VooDoo but.......

Edited by gadzukes

My only regret is that I didn't buy every ST 169 that I could find over the course of 30+ years for next to nothing. On the other hand, who knew? :screwy:

Edited by Jeffro.

3 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

There is a new fetishism for 9.8s.  The hobby has been through this before, but I get the feeling this time it's a little different

23 minutes ago, Heronext said:

There is a new fetishism for 9.8s.  The hobby has been through this before, but I get the feeling this time it's a little different

I like 9.8s as much as the next man, but wouldn't spend $27000  on one, unless I had won the lottery of course.

2 hours ago, batmiesta said:

I like 9.8s as much as the next man, but wouldn't spend $27000  on one, unless I had won the lottery of course.

So my slabbed 3.0 must be worth at least 8K.. Right??  Right???

Because 3.0 is 30% of 9.8 so.....$8100!  

1 hour ago, cd4ever said:

So my slabbed 3.0 must be worth at least 8K.. Right??  Right???

Because 3.0 is 30% of 9.8 so.....$8100!  

I’ve done the calculations, the math checks out 😆

On 6/9/2021 at 10:49 AM, gadzukes said:

Has the record sales for ST 169 (Brother Voodoo) affected 170 or 171 or any of the other BV titles in the ST run?

A ST 169 9.8 has now sold for $27,000

I scooped up a 9.8 ST 171 (3rd appearance) for a mere $400 a few weeks ago figuring there might be a trickle down effect.

It's amazing that in just 2 issues the value would be separated by that much.

If you ain't first your last.

2 minutes ago, Heronext said:

While we're on the subject, what exactly is this?  Saw it on the 20K 9.8, thought it was a stain!

st169_stain.jpg

Looks like a moisture mark to me. Good thing for sellers most people just see the cgc grade and have no idea how to grade. I have seen enough people pay 9.8 prices for 9.4 books or whatever and never knew.