• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Good idea!

im 32 this year. When I was 12-25 I bought only Silver and Bronze Age. Once I graduated and got a job, I expanded and have dabbled in some golden age buys. Maybe there actually are more like me!

So if you are the youngest generation,  we still have a good 30 years or more to buy and sell books...

12 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

We need a poll on here asking everyone 25 and under if they intend to start collecting GA or SA comics in the future (if they aren't already).

Polling members HERE is not representative of Gen Z'ers in general or their interests... since they're already members of a high-end comicbook collecting forum. hm

The current crop of young adults (18-30) has shown seismic shifts in attitudes about foundational values, interests and principles that puts them at incredible distances to any previous generation, far more than anything we've seen before. A recent poll showed the gaps between the current young adults and the over-35 adults that they are more unlike their previous generation in values, beliefs and behaviors than ever seen in the country (even farther than the gap between boomers their parents). They are not like us.  

48 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Polling members HERE is not representative of Gen Z'ers in general or their interests... since they're already members of a high-end comicbook collecting forum. hm

The current crop of young adults (18-30) has shown seismic shifts in attitudes about foundational values, interests and principles that puts them at incredible distances to any previous generation, far more than anything we've seen before. A recent poll showed the gaps between the current young adults and the over-35 adults that they are more unlike their previous generation in values, beliefs and behaviors than ever seen in the country (even farther than the gap between boomers their parents). They are not like us.  

kids today are growing up with the mcu as their favorite movies. As a kid in the 80’s it was my love of star wars that got me to start reading comics, so who knows, maybe these kids will do the same?

3 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

kids today are growing up with the mcu as their favorite movies. As a kid in the 80’s it was my love of star wars that got me to start reading comics, so who knows, maybe these kids will do the same?

Maybe, hope so. The trend is clearly away from tangible physical reading material though. Digital and video/virtual games, NFTs (LOL) and other tech-necessary forms are currently the only way they interact with pop culture. The trajectory is away from the physical world materials. 

1 hour ago, kimik said:

There are plenty of young buyers, both male and female, at shows now. For them, the initial focus is copper and modern keys, and I have noticed that a good portion do migrate to GA/SA/BA keys over time. The difference is that the new generation of collector is more focused on keys and hot/variant covers, not run builders.

That's good to hear! I look for whatever I can afford really. If it is a key, great! If it is a run, also great! Captain Mar-Vel, Nova, Spider-Woman and Spider-Man are some of my current runs I am always seeking (the latter being a likely lifelong chase!)

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So if you are the youngest generation,  we still have a good 30 years or more to buy and sell books...

Well I am part of it.....and I like to think that when I am 45-50, there will be 20-25 year old collectors targeting the BA/SA stuff, provided it doesnt price itself out of reach by then. 

4 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Yeah I can recall being the same way but with Transformers instead of Star Wars. The Transformers cartoon was really a huge thing in the 80's! I can recall buying the Grimlock, Dinobots action figures lolthen eventually Omega Supreme for Christmas one year. I can still remember how big the box was with big Omega in it :whatthe: lol

As for comics, all it took was a brief exposure to a few comics laying around in my older cousins house to hook me in. It wasn't a popular cartoon or movie....just a stack of comics just happened to be there. For whatever reason my interest in Transformers waned while Spidey stuck like gorilla glue (shrug).

As if I didn't already feel old -- i can recall vividly at 10 - 11 years old around 1990 how much reverence I had for ASM1 and AF15. I mean I would drool at a grainy image in a price guide. Back then those books were less than 30 years old. Those books were "newer" in 1990 than Jim Lee's X-men or Mcfarlane/Larsen spideys are today :preach: 

I can't imagine how the MCU wouldn't have a sizable impact on the youngins today! I suspect most young people understand just like I did fairly quickly the older books are the most coveted. 

19 hours ago, Wolverinex said:
23 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

That's my experience.  We have a few cousins in the 5-11 year old range and they love the Marvel movies/shows.  They were over here one day talking about WandaVision so I said, "do you guys know that Vision started out in comic books, and here's his first appearance" and hauled out Avengers 57.  Basically got yawns, not that they're going to spend a lot of (or any) money on comics today, and maybe they'll remember that day down the line when they can.  Everyone starts somewhere for some reason, so there's no downside to talking up the hobby.

Expand  

good job.  This does make me worried that once Millennials turn 60, will there be anyone else left to buy comics?   Sounds like Gen Z is a dead end for comics. 

All you need is a small sliver of the millions and millions of young people (Gen Z) into Wandavision and/or any given MCU Sony movie being put out to become comic collectors for the hobby to thrive. Just a tiny sliver is all.

Edited by MGsimba77

My kids are Gen Z (14 and 16 now), and they love comics - but they have no interest in Marvel or DC except for the movies.

My 14-year-old daughter likes Dark Horse's Stranger Things series, and the occasional Archie book. She collects anything and everything by Raina Telgemeier (though she thought the X-Men book was dumb), and has recently been trying YA graphic novels like Sheets and Delicates.

My 16-year-old son loves old Gold Key books, especially Super Goof and Tom & Jerry, and collections of Bone and Mouse Guard.

Some of the Gen Z kids will likely be lifelong comic readers, but their interest in floppies is minimal, and if nostalgia kicks in in 25 years, their "keys" will be nothing like ours.

I also recently sold some old Sugar & Spike books to a prominent comic book writer on ebay, who told me they were favourites of his 6-year old son.

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

All you need is a small sliver of the millions and millions of young people (Gen Z) into Wandavision and/or any given MCU Sony movie being put out to become comic collectors for the hobby to thrive. Just a tiny sliver is all.

2 hours ago, Brock said:

My kids are Gen Z (14 and 16 now), and they love comics - but they have no interest in Marvel or DC except for the movies.

My 14-year-old daughter likes Dark Horse's Stranger Things series, and the occasional Archie book. She collects anything and everything by Raina Telgemeier (though she thought the X-Men book was dumb), and has recently been trying YA graphic novels like Sheets and Delicates.

My 16-year-old son loves old Gold Key books, especially Super Goof and Tom & Jerry, and collections of Bone and Mouse Guard.

Some of the Gen Z kids will likely be lifelong comic readers, but their interest in floppies is minimal, and if nostalgia kicks in in 25 years, their "keys" will be nothing like ours.

I also recently sold some old Sugar & Spike books to a prominent comic book writer on ebay, who told me they were favourites of his 6-year old son.

That's my thought, would a Gen Z shell out $$$ for a slabbed Fantastic four 5 if they never read comic floppies as a kid?

I have seen a TON of kids reading Manga at my local bookstore; there are always kids milling around those sections and I wonder if those are collectable???

13 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

That's my thought, would a Gen Z shell out $$$ for a slabbed Fantastic four 5 if they never read comic floppies as a kid?

I have seen a TON of kids reading Manga at my local bookstore; there are always kids milling around those sections and I wonder if those are collectable???

Do we know that to be the case? I would imagine there's a certain percentage of this generation who read tangible comics others who prefer reading on their tablets. Who knows maybe reading silver FF through a tablet? Perhaps some kid wanted to read about the first appearance of Panther (just to name one example) after the movie and after realizing the difficulty of obtaining the actual book. Its also possible they come along down the road or end up becoming collectors without a relationship to floppies? I think there's more factors in play today that would drive someone into collecting than were present when we were growing up. I don't know that interest in floppies is indicative of too much.

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I would imagine there's a certain percentage of this generation who read tangible comics others who prefer reading on their tablets. Who knows maybe reading silver FF through a tablet?

I have to say, I’ve never met a kid who read comics on a tablet. Do they exist?

it seems to me that this Is like e-mail or text messages (or message boards) - a technology that is used by old people who imagine that young people use it too.

It could be possible, though, that the kid who is interested in Black Panther goes to YouTube and watches a video that tells him about an early appearance in a floppy, and then he seeks out the story in that format.

Edited by Brock

2 minutes ago, Brock said:

I have to say, I’ve never met a kid who read comics on a tablet. Do they exist?

Probably 

2 minutes ago, Brock said:

It could be possible, though, that the kid who is interested in Black Panther goes to YouTube and watches a video that tells him about an early appearance in a floppy, and then he seeks out the story in that format.

That's one of the possibilities present today that were not in our day.

There is a market for old vinyl records.

I don't collect them but is the market just for us in their late 40s to 60s who remember buying vinyl records at stores.

Or is there collectors who collect them and have grown up with CDs and digital only?

Nostalgia is the key.

Years in the future will there be people who have fond memories of watching the new star wars movies and tv shows when they were kids and with disposable income seek star wars comics including the 70s 1 in the future.

Time will tell 👍

50 minutes ago, southern cross said:

There is a market for old vinyl records.

I don't collect them but is the market just for us in their late 40s to 60s who remember buying vinyl records at stores.

Or is there collectors who collect them and have grown up with CDs and digital only?

Nostalgia is the key.

Years in the future will there be people who have fond memories of watching the new star wars movies and tv shows when they were kids and with disposable income seek star wars comics including the 70s 1 in the future.

Time will tell 👍

Will Gen Z care about comics though if they are just sitting in a plastic tomb.  You can't read it.  You can only look at it.   If they didn't grow up with analog books, would they even care or will they have nostalgia for fornite and tiktok instead?  

That's the thing one will never know till we move into the future.

I mean who would of thought years ago that a x-men 1 in 6.5 would jump $15k in just 30 days. 

Maybe in the future when us old farts move in nursing homes and our relatives liquidate our collections there will be 100s of hulk 181s appearing in the market every week and the price softens dramatically.

We all will hopefully find out 👍

Why I collect not for investment, I collect for fun.