• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Think This ebay seller is dead wrong!

179 posts in this topic

I buy a cgc graded book and it has two long scratches (or defect lines in the plastic) on the front of the holder. I contact the seller and say I am sending it back because of this. He responds with "Your buying the book, not the holder" He does say send it back but thinks I am being unreasonable. I think that was a ridiculous thing to say that the holder itself should not matter.

There are many books I can think of that I would not be returning cause the case was scratched (or had a defect in the plastic). If I got a silver or bronze age book at a price I was happy with it would never occur to me to send it back for a scratch in the case.

If it's a modern or something sure, your mostly buying the case then anyway.

Then again I see no reason not mention it in the auction too.

I wouldn't neg - at least he's allowing the return. I've gone through hassle returns and the really bad ones (where the seller resorts to name calling) get a neg, but a begrudging return still gets a positive. After all, he could have told you to get bent.

Definitely don't take the "I'll give you $15 for a reholder" cr@p. $15 doesn't cover it anymore.

I buy a cgc graded book and it has two long scratches (or defect lines in the plastic) on the front of the holder. I contact the seller and say I am sending it back because of this. He responds with "Your buying the book, not the holder" He does say send it back but thinks I am being unreasonable. I think that was a ridiculous thing to say that the holder itself should not matter.

Live long enough and you'll hear a lot of people say a lot of ridiculous things... :insane:

I am more on the side of the seller on this one. It's a sad day that the condition of the slab matters as much as that of the book. I do understand why you wouldn't want the book b/c of the slab, but shouldn't it be about the book only? At least, he is taking it back.

I'm a fan of a 100% return policy. But I also find myself scratching my head on threads like this. Is the case so important? I can understand if it's broken enough that people might not want to buy to for fear of tampering. But a scratch or a scuff? That's CGC fetish territory.

Okay, below is the message I received from the seller. Yes he will take it back but notice how he thinks I should just send it in and pay for the reholder. And by the way, if he mentions the scratches, the book would most likely sell for less because many buyers care about this.

"If you are not satisfied, please return the book. Once I receive it I will credit you a refund. You can send it to CGC for $11 for a reholder. You are buying the book not the holder."

I think that comic sellers on eBay should be as forthcoming about their items as possible, including the condition of the slab on a graded comic. Leave it up to the person who is thinking about buying the item to decide how much certain details matter to them.
Like have the slab graded?