• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBays new policy allows shill bidding. Is this better for everyone?

38 posts in this topic

As posters in that article point out, Ebay has looked the other way in the past on shill bidding. Now it's just out in the open.

People still can't bid on their own auctions, but friends, and associates can openly ( though some States have laws against it )

This is one more of their policies that will end up biting them in the

friends, family and acquaintances are now allowed to bid on a seller's auctions in certain circumstances. eBay's new shill-bidding policy states, "Shill bidding happens when anyone - including family, friends, roommates, employees, or online connections - bids on an item with the intent to artificially increase its price or desirability

Since it would be pretty well impossible to prove the intent of these bidders ebay is essentially saying we don't care about shill bidding.

Since it would be pretty well impossible to prove the intent of these bidders ebay is essentially saying we don't care about shill bidding.

+1

Foresee "record GPA" sales in the very near future ...

After careful consideration, I've decided it's none of my business, having not sold anything on ebay in years, and buying damn-all besides a couple reference books and a few things to read.

Ebay turned itself into a sucking wound five or six years ago IMO

Not surprised...my bids are always last second and significantly below market value, so this will likely have little bearing on me other than continue to prefer other venues for collectibles.

+1 thats how I play it also

I apologize in advance if this was already posted. Is this new policy just to increase ebay's profits? Or is this actually better for everyone? It did seem inevitable with all the followers that sellers have on FB, Twitter, etc.

LINK

I suppose it was inevitable. Heritage allows the same thing. This isn't really even much of a change, as it was happening anyway and not much was done about it. The entire concept is prone to lots of lawyering. Who is your friend? There are lots of "degrees" of friendhip. I'm "friends" with the owners of all three comic shops in town. But not one of them would be inviting me to say their wedding. What is their intent in bidding?

eBay and Heritage - like every business - true goal is to make money. If it improves the final hammer price they make more money.

Someone else has already said this - but it's worth repeating. Bid late in the auction and no more than you want to pay. Then shills of any variety have minimal impact on you.

Someday maybe a better alternative to eBay will appear :wishluck:

All the more reason for me to be happy I quit ebay months ago :)
Do the other sites have policies about shill bidding as well? What are their safety policies to prevent shill bidding?

I heard there's a guy named N.P. Gresham who investigates such matters.

"Non Paying Gresham" won't be the only Non Paying auction winner. :lol:

Not surprised...my bids are always last second and significantly below market value, so this will likely have little bearing on me other than continue to prefer other venues for collectibles.

I think this hits the hammer on the head. Never bid more than you feel comfortable paying for an item, and, unless it's a trusted seller you know can deliver on the item's description, bid only for bargains. I look at ebay like a flea market or garage sale without the possibility of giving offense with a low-ball offer.

That said, though, this is very unethical, shady, dishonest and all manner of dbaggery.