• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2022 at 5:32 AM, darkstar said:

Two creators breaking down and reviewing a book isn't a pump and dump. 

Time will tell

I'll add, that wasn't the intention, surely, but that is most likely what is happening 

Edited by The Meta

On 3/16/2022 at 6:35 AM, The Meta said:

Time will tell

I'll add, that wasn't the intention, surely, but that is most likely what is happening 

No, time will not tell. A pump and dump is a deliberate attempt to profit off of something after inflating the value by increasing demand through hype and nonsense. A Youtube video talking about the creative merits of a book is not that, the book's value isn't even discussed there. To say that prices will likely decrease in the future because the current spike in demand is temporary is fine, but to label this a pump and dump is inaccurate and pathetic. 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:45 AM, darkstar said:

No, time will not tell. A pump and dump is a deliberate attempt to profit off of something after inflating the value by increasing demand through hype and nonsense. A Youtube video talking about the creative merits of a book is not that, the book's value isn't even discussed there. To say that prices will likely decrease in the future because the current spike in demand is temporary is fine, but to label this a pump and dump is inaccurate and pathetic. 

Oh jeeze, so sorry to have used an vernacular that offends you.

The effect is what I'm referring to. The price will rise while this is fresh, then wane when interest is lost.

Price is pumped, then deflate

Better?

I picked this book up off the shelf, and I read it once and forgot about it and its been in a long box Ive hauled across the country for 20 some years. Mike Mignola is a good artist, but the book isn't Shakespeare 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:49 AM, The Meta said:

Oh jeeze, so sorry to have used an vernacular that offends you.

The effect is what I'm referring to. The price will rise while this is fresh, then wane when interest is lost.

Price is pumped, then deflate

Better?

I picked this book up off the shelf, and I read it once and forgot about it and its been in a long box Ive hauled across the country for 20 some years. Mike Mignola is a good artist, but the book isn't Shakespeare 

Using the correct terminology is just kind of important when attempting to make a point. 

Also in regards to the quality of the book I'm probably going to give more weight to a 20 minute video review by two comic creators over the words of someone who flipped through the book 20 years ago. 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:39 AM, darkstar said:

Using the correct terminology is just kind of important when attempting to make a point. 

Also in regards to the quality of the book I'm probably going to give more weight to a 20 minute video review by two comic creators over the words of someone who flipped through the book 20 years ago. 

As is your prerogative 

Mearly stated what I thought 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:45 AM, darkstar said:

They unquestionably pump it in the video. The only question is whether they are selling copies and how many they have.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:07 AM, Lazyboy said:

They unquestionably pump it in the video. The only question is whether they are selling copies and how many they have.

What video did you watch? You think Jim Rugg and Ed Piskor have resorted to making youtube videos in order to sell back issues at inflated prices? What are you even talking about? 

On 3/16/2022 at 11:10 AM, darkstar said:

What video did you watch? You think Jim Rugg and Ed Piskor have resorted to making youtube videos in order to sell back issues at inflated prices? What are you even talking about? 

I don't know if they're dumping, but they're definitely pumping. And they clearly realize it, regardless of their actual intentions.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, Lazyboy said:

I don't know if they're dumping, but they're definitely pumping. And they clearly realize it, regardless of their actual intentions.

Ok, so you didn't actually watch the video and aren't familiar with the individuals or their Youtube channel in general then. Two creatives who work in the industry and put out videos talking about books they love isn't pumping and dumping. Zero percent of that video's runtime is dedicated to the value of that book, you cannot possibly label that pump and dump when the financials aren't even mentioned the video, let alone the focus of it. That is actually a real crappy thing to do, to lump them in with your typical Hot 10 List clowns. 

On 3/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, darkstar said:

you cannot possibly label that pump and dump

Then I guess it's a good thing that I didn't, huh? I stated that they are pumping and that they are aware of that fact. I questioned whether they are selling. They would hardly be the first to take financial advantage of something they are already doing.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, darkstar said:

when the financials aren't even mentioned the video

Irrelevant. Pump and dump does not require any mention of value.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:10 AM, darkstar said:

Their YouTube channel is great, literally the only comic-related content I watch on the platform. They clearly love the material and most of the videos I watch are them reviewing "worthless" obscure 80's and 90's independents or going through old issues of Wizard magazine. I can't image they know (or care) about the value of the comics they make videos about....which is of course why I watch them. 

On 3/16/2022 at 9:14 PM, The Meta said:

If you really must have Aliens Salvation, its one of those pump and dumps you can wait out

Its not a great book and interest will wane 

Yeah. While I'm a fan of Mignola's copper art I'm probably going to sell my copy and put the cash towards a key on my wish list. He was getting into his minimalist style in Aliens Salvation, using black space instead of lines etc..., which I don't like as much. 

Regards Groo, if they do the TV show right it could be another Simpsons, Futurama type hit. While I'm just a collector/reader I still like it when my books increase in value :) I bought a minty Groo #1 to complement the scattering of issues I bought as a kid a while ago

I understand his reaction. People that have not seen Cartoonist Kayfabe channel watch one video and make a wrong assumption. Then they are corrected but they decide to double down on that nonsense.

Edited by godzilla43

Yes, when I don't know or care about value at all, I always tell people to subscribe to my channel because of FOMO.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:35 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

They tout the "Kayfabe effect" explicitly and tell people to go buy copies before they disappear due to the videos driving interest. 

Exactly.

I don't get the sense that Piskor and Rugg are pumping books to dump them.

They are explicitly shilling their own channel, asking for likes, subscriptions, and enabled notifications. Views and visibility are far more valuable than 10 copies of Alien Salvation they might have in a box. I don't watch many streamers, but because I work in mobile gaming, I will watch some streams for the game I'm attached to. Streamers have common practices now, in how they market and present themselves. Kayfabe is doing just that, practicing the art of the self-promoting barker, within their own idiom. They have a niche that makes growing a large audience difficult, but if they pull it off, they can enjoy another profit stream, while growing their own popularity and presence. To repeat myself, there is much greater fiscal, professional, and personal value in doing so than promoting various comics.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes, when I don't know or care about value at all, I always tell people to subscribe to my channel because of FOMO.

Exactly.

That statement does two things.

1) It encourages people to subscribe to their channel. Which is you know, how Youtubers generate a significant portion of their income.

2) It gives their subscribers the first opportunity to buy the books, as they get alerts when new videos are posted. Since most of the books they talk about are inexpensive, they typically don't have a ton of eBay listings (most people don't list cheap books on eBay because it a) takes valuable time and b) the profit margins are low). As a result of having thousands of subscribers, which is just a fraction of their viewership, it only takes a small percentage of their viewers to wipe out the current online supply of most cheap books. That is the result of their fans watching their views and being motivated to buy the book to read, not because they were convinced it can be flipped or held as an investment. 

For the third time now, it is blatantly obvious you are not at all familiar with their channel nor have you watched any of the videos.