• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, Jeffro. said:

Hard to believe this crappy garbage was popular and in demand at one time. 

It was just Image-level storytelling in those days. I mean Spawn and WildCATS were better drawn, but the stories were just as bad.

The Platt covers were indeed hot tickets back then. Full-size retail posters of them were made to capitalize on their popularity.

ProphetMoon1.JPG

ProphetLady1.JPG

ProphetMan1.JPG

Edited by jdandns
resized photos

On 3/26/2022 at 6:47 PM, followtheleader said:
On 3/26/2022 at 2:58 PM, Jeffro. said:

Hard to believe this crappy garbage was popular and in demand at one time. 

I bought many Image books during that time period. 

I don't recall this book getting "hot" until Platt (issue 4 variant).  But I could just be mis-remembering. 

Patrick 

I bought a bunch of them as well. I look back on them now and ask myself, what was I thinking? 

On 3/26/2022 at 7:43 PM, Jeffro. said:

I bought a bunch of them as well. I look back on them now and ask myself, what was I thinking? 

Same. With so many books featuring 1st appearances of characters drawn by hot artists (ASM 300, NM 87, etc.) it seemed like a no-brainer to pick up the new Image books that were definitely going to be featuring new characters since the company was new. But people had to care about the characters, and for that, good storytellers were needed, and Image was short on that in the early years.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:00 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

it's funny, but I remember a time when Shadowhawk was probably the hottest Image book. Most likely because Valentino didn't really impress people as much as the other Image founders did, and his book was pretty decent, as I remember.

I really liked Shadowhawk

On 3/26/2022 at 6:47 PM, PeterPark said:

I really liked it too; I was young but I liked the reveal in Shadowhawk II 2. "You ignorant, racist fool..."

Yup, the deluxe cover for, not sure if it was that issue or the one after, was ridiculous though lol

On 3/26/2022 at 8:00 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

it's funny, but I remember a time when Shadowhawk was probably the hottest Image book. Most likely because Valentino didn't really impress people as much as the other Image founders did, and his book was pretty decent, as I remember.

I enjoyed it as well. I think the mystery of who it was also helped.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:12 PM, jdandns said:

It was just Image-level storytelling in those days. I mean Spawn and WildCATS were better drawn, but the stories were just as bad.

The Platt covers were indeed hot tickets back then. Full-size retail posters of them were made to capitalize on their popularity.

ProphetMoon1.JPG

ProphetLady1.JPG

ProphetMan1.JPG

Demand is an understatement. These books were red hot for awhile. Now Platt was hot from Moon Knight
and then Prophet, but all the Image books were hot for several years. Now newsstand copies are sought
after in high grade due to scarcity. Pitt is the one that comes to mind for me anyways as I seek them out. 
I think 9 is the highest I have seen so far. 

Had they only spent more time on the writing of the books they would have had an empire for years. 
Only McFarlane had enough forsight to use good writers for some stories. Savage Dragon is also still
going which is impressive since Larsen never got the following Todd did.

Image is the exact opposite of the Ultraverse. Ultraverse wrote great stories with average art. Image had fantastic art with terrible writing. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 3/26/2022 at 4:43 PM, Jeffro. said:

I bought a long box full of this overstock for $10 back in the day of dumping, as I figured the backing boards were worth $10 since I needed them. Unreadable but shiny nm Image and some readable Valiant overstock.

On 3/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, jdandns said:

ProphetMoon1.JPG

ProphetLady1.JPG

ProphetMan1.JPG

I don't understand the love for Platt art and the hate for Liefeld art.

On 3/27/2022 at 12:03 PM, fastballspecial said:

Image is the exact opposite of the Ultraverse. Ultraverse wrote great stories with average art. Image had fantastic art with terrible writing. 

I don't think this is entirely fair. The art on Ultraverse books was pretty solid. It was on the same level as Marvel and DC of the era (as I remember it), and they were ahead of the game with computer coloring (which is why Marvel bought them).

On 3/28/2022 at 10:05 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't think this is entirely fair. The art on Ultraverse books was pretty solid. It was on the same level as Marvel and DC of the era (as I remember it), and they were ahead of the game with computer coloring (which is why Marvel bought them).

He likes crosshatching I guess. Ultraverse was more old school art, not the tons of lines Image style. Kyle Hotz following BWS on Rune, Prime and mantra were top notch talent weren't they?

On 3/28/2022 at 10:08 AM, Bird said:

He likes crosshatching I guess. Ultraverse was more old school art, not the tons of lines Image style. Kyle Hotz following BWS on Rune, Prime and mantra were top notch talent weren't they?

I really thought that Ultraverse was one of the few new super-hero universes that was going to survive long-term. There was LOTS of hot garbage coming out in the early- to mid-90s, but Ultraverse was a solid, connected universe with quality stories and art. I wish I knew the details of all of the assumed legal issues preventing them coming back.